Driveshaft Carrier Bearing - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Driveshaft Carrier Bearing

My carrier bearing is howling. Since Ford decided to use two different size bearings, I can't order one ahead of time because I will not know the size until I take it off. Sooooo...... my plan is:

Take the whole driveshaft off, lock the front hubs, engage 4wd drive and drop the driveshaft off at the driveshaft place. Since it's there, I'll have them change all U-joints and re-balance it.

How does it sound? Any limitations of far/fast I can travel with the front diff engaged?

Thanks

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
'97 Black F250HD,XLT, SC, LB, 4x4, D66, Punisher Trans with Precision Converter, Dana 60, 3.55LS, built 12/97, 3"-4" DP, Bilstein 5125s, VDO EGT, Trans Temp, and Boost gauges, Hellwig rear swaybar, CA fuel regulator, 4" Exhaust-Straight piped,FORD AIC, welded EBPV, B&M Transpan,, Joe Servo IDM, MAP sensor mod, RSK w/ "V" & "F" code SD springs, Hydroboost conversion, replacement 38 gal rear tank, Swamp's Baby Hybrids, Jonathan Jones Tunes, CJC Traction blocks, 227K
gnxtc2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Fellow Jerseyan: I don't see much of problem with running in 4hi for a little while unless you have a locker in the front. I wouldn't do more than 55 though. I'm going to do my carrier bearing in the next week or two. Post back on how you make out. Good Luck!
2011 F350 CC Lariat 6.7 4x4 Tuxedo Black Loaded* ICON 4.5 inch Stage II with 4 link and Deaver Mini-Paks * OUO 5" Traction Blocks & Bars * 20" BMF Novakanes with 37x12.50x20 Nitto Trails * ICON Dual Steering Stabilizer * RECON Projectors, Mirror, 3rd brake, Cab,and Tailights * Pace Edwards Bedlocker * EPIC Door Seal Mods * AMP Research Steps * http://community.webshots.com/user/ammayernick
ammayernick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

My truck makes a groaning noise in reverse, only at a really low RPM- almost lugging... I thought it could be the carrier bearing also. Does this sound right?
SOLD: 1995 f350 crew XLT, long bed, 4x4, 5 speed, 3.55 gears, 35" Toyo Open Country's, 102k, Warn 12k winch, AFE stage 2, 4" downpipe, no kitty, Flow Pro, FPR mod, TW 6, Bilsteins, IDM Mod, Ride Rite bags, Fleetguard/Stanadyne/Schaefer's user

1997 F350 CC/LB Auto, auto, leveling kit, 285/75/16 Toyo AT's, FPR mod, soon to have more

1996 F350 XLT Standard cab, 5 speed, 3.55 gears, 323k, FPR mod, daily driver

2001 Excursion Limited E/B, 7.3, 170k-- wife's rig
2006 Polaris Sportsman 4x4 800 EFI Camo
2006 Grizzly 125 Camo
2006 Weekend Warrior FS2300 Toyhauler
Powersmoke 95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersmoke 95 View Post
My truck makes a groaning noise in reverse, only at a really low RPM- almost lugging... I thought it could be the carrier bearing also. Does this sound right?
I would think u-joint.
1995 F350 PSD,CC,LB,E4OD,4WDw4:10LS
IDM Corrosion
Underdash Gauge Pod
Front Tow Hooks
STurbo90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 08:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

If only in reverse, I believe the U-joint as well.
2011 F350 CC Lariat 6.7 4x4 Tuxedo Black Loaded* ICON 4.5 inch Stage II with 4 link and Deaver Mini-Paks * OUO 5" Traction Blocks & Bars * 20" BMF Novakanes with 37x12.50x20 Nitto Trails * ICON Dual Steering Stabilizer * RECON Projectors, Mirror, 3rd brake, Cab,and Tailights * Pace Edwards Bedlocker * EPIC Door Seal Mods * AMP Research Steps * http://community.webshots.com/user/ammayernick
ammayernick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

i replaced my carrier last week, and posted a little fyi about it. you will need a large press to do this right, meaning, you could destroy the old bearing to get it off and beat a new one on, but, thats no way to do the job.

as far as the size, initially i was sold the wrong one. we pressed off the old one and took it to the parts house for exchange. i will see if i can find my old carrier, measure the id and post it for you guys.

2005 F-250 King Ranch * 4X4 * 4" exhaust / 5" tip * Let the mods begin......

1994 F-250 Super Cab * 4x4 * ZF-5 * 3:55 * RDS Single Shot Stage I's* TDP 6pos chip * BDP electric fuel * BDP D-66 Turbo * IDM Mod * Hypermax 3x4" dp * Authentic Tymar intake* 7.3 Intercooler * gutted ebpv * 4" exhaust & 5" tip * LUK clutch * A-pillar pod w/ Auto Meter NV boost, pyro and water temp gauges * reverse dash lighting and hvac controls * Optima yellow top batts D75/25, both on the right side * HPO X-over mod * manually controlled gp's * cruise control mod * add-a-leaf (front) * AC mod

Last edited by 94strokerace; 03-14-2008 at 09:05 PM.
94strokerace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

ok, just went out to find my old bearing. somebody had dumped the scrap metal bins, which is where i disposed of it. but i can tell you NOT to purchase NAPA part # HB88107A, it is the wrong ID. the piece of pipe i used to press on the new bearing is 14" long, 1 7/8" OD, 1 1/2" ID.

2005 F-250 King Ranch * 4X4 * 4" exhaust / 5" tip * Let the mods begin......

1994 F-250 Super Cab * 4x4 * ZF-5 * 3:55 * RDS Single Shot Stage I's* TDP 6pos chip * BDP electric fuel * BDP D-66 Turbo * IDM Mod * Hypermax 3x4" dp * Authentic Tymar intake* 7.3 Intercooler * gutted ebpv * 4" exhaust & 5" tip * LUK clutch * A-pillar pod w/ Auto Meter NV boost, pyro and water temp gauges * reverse dash lighting and hvac controls * Optima yellow top batts D75/25, both on the right side * HPO X-over mod * manually controlled gp's * cruise control mod * add-a-leaf (front) * AC mod
94strokerace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Thumbs up Update

Dropped off the driveshaft on Monday around 4:00pm at the driveshaft shop. Guy calls me around 1:00pm today and says it's all done.

Had them replace the carrier bearing and the 3 u-joints and balance it. Total cost parts and labor $240. Drives better than new.

Part numbers:
-Driveshaft U-joints....Spicer 5-799X
-Carrier bearing.........Spicer 210866-1X

For you NJ guys, I used:
Joint Clutch and Gear of NJ, Inc
315 Route 46
Little Ferry, NJ
201-440-6900

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
'97 Black F250HD,XLT, SC, LB, 4x4, D66, Punisher Trans with Precision Converter, Dana 60, 3.55LS, built 12/97, 3"-4" DP, Bilstein 5125s, VDO EGT, Trans Temp, and Boost gauges, Hellwig rear swaybar, CA fuel regulator, 4" Exhaust-Straight piped,FORD AIC, welded EBPV, B&M Transpan,, Joe Servo IDM, MAP sensor mod, RSK w/ "V" & "F" code SD springs, Hydroboost conversion, replacement 38 gal rear tank, Swamp's Baby Hybrids, Jonathan Jones Tunes, CJC Traction blocks, 227K
gnxtc2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.