The Diesel Stop banner

E350: Where the heck are the door lock relays and the RKE module?

19K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Steve83 
#1 ·
Hi.

I have a 7.3 E-350 XLT cutaway and I can barely find any information on this vehicle. I bought the supplemental service manual and I may as well throw it in a fire (Ford expects you to buy a set of 5 manuals, and probably more for info on add-ons like the RKE).

Hopefully some kind soul out there knows:

1) Where the door lock relays are located on the E-350 (not the truck).

2) Where the remote keyless entry module is located on the E-350 (not the truck). No, I have no idea if there is one installed. It definitely WON'T be in the same location as the E-150 as that one is in the body and this is a cutaway.

3) Where the FOB programming jumper is located on the E-350 (not the truck). There is so much going on under there I'd probably need a photo to even have a prayer of knowing whether it is there or not.

I need to install a RKE somehow and I'd like to avoid tearing apart the entire cab to reverse engineer it. Failing this I'll probably have to bypass the original door wiring entirely and install my own relays.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
What model year is this E350 cutaway and does it have factory power locks and factory RKE?

With the E-Series, vehicles without RKE the power door locks DO NOT USE relays as they are a simple hard-wired system using the switches to control power and ground to activate the door lock actuators.

The "module controlled" systems were named differently through the years and the lock functions and module locations differ. This is where knowing the model year of your truck is needed. With this system there are relays however they are contained in the module.

#3 ·
The only lock relays are INSIDE the module (regardless of which Ford vehicle you're talking about). If you don't have RKE, there are no relays for the door locks. And if you have it, you'd have to open the module to see them soldered to the PC board.

As to determining if it has RKE, and how to program it...
Click this (on a computer - it won't work on most phone apps) & read the TSB about that specific question:

Read it carefully, but DON'T read all of the lettered steps that DON'T apply to your vehicle - they'll just confuse you. Use the first chart to find the letter that applies, and ONLY read that one. The captions of the first few B&W diagrams are identical, but there are useful links in them to more info. If a diagram is too small to read, click it again to supersize (on a new page with only that image).

Location should be inside the driver's B-pillar (behind the door).

Your signature is a start, but it could be much better. Click this & read the caption:

#4 ·
they'll just confuse you.
Double-negatives are inherently confusing.

That page has good info. If the RKE wasn't standard in the XLT I may don't have it. Some of the wiring in this vehicle isn't in the standard locations so a missing programming port could be a false negative. Is the RKE module location rearward of the seat belt spool?

I may have to wire an aftermarket one. There appears to be a good location for one behind the passenger side side-panel where a large wiring harness is.

#5 ·
That wasn't actually a double-negative ;), which would have been something like "don't not read it" (2 nots applied to the same verb). This sentence says the same thing, but is structured reverse of the previous one, so it may make more sense:
"If it doesn't apply to your van, don't confuse yourself reading it."

RKE is only "standard" on some luxury cars nowadays; back then, it was a new & always-optional system. It came in some very specific option packages, but not automatically on any trim level.

Naturally, aftermarket remote systems are typically not as functional as factory. The easiest place to splice one in is onto the driver's door wiring because it already contains most of the necessary wires. On '92-96 Fs & Broncos, that harness runs across the dash just below the w/s; IDK about Es.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.