The Diesel Stop banner

E40D Transmission Engages Gear But Won't Move

27K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  madpogue 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I've got a 1994 F-250 Powerstroke with an E40D Trans. Once the truck is fired up and I go to shift into gear, forward or reverse, it engages the gear but won't actually move. You can feel the truck lurch in the direction of the gear but thats it, feels like there a chock under the wheel. In the past I've been able to give it some throttle and have it pop into gear but no luck now. The truck has been parked on side hill with the drivers side lower than the passenger for about a month.

This was an ongoing issue last year due to a leaky gasket on the transmission but since I replaced that it hasn't come up again. Any ideas? I've add a bit more fluid but don't want to overdo it.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Can't help, but the 94's didn't come with a Powerstroke. Will it move in reverse? Mark the tranny guy here told me if it won't move in forward, but will in reverse the forward clutches are fried. $3,000 later, I'm rolling with a reman Ford tranny.
AaronSEIA

#3 · (Edited)
Actually '94 had 3 different engines. 8th character of VIN tells you which one:
M is IDI non turbo
K is IDI turbo
F is Power stroke

#4 ·
And the Powerstrokes of that year were all manuals. Also, model year and build date are not the same, so check the 10th character of the VIN as well.

Your issue, however, may not depend on what engine is in front of the tranny. First question is, what's behind the tranny. That is, is it a 2WD or 4x4 truck?

#5 ·
I thought the 94.5 were hand shakers, but wasn't sure. Thanks for confirming!!

#8 ·
I have actually seen quite a few post requesting information of going from a ZF to a automatic.

#9 ·
Your guys know your stuff. It's a '94 with the IDI turbo engine. 8th number in the VIN is K.

It's a 4x4 and won't shift in forward or reverse in 4x4 or 2x4. This was happening every few weeks when I had the transmission gasket leak and once the fluid was topped off it would fully engage and move after giving the engine some throttle it would pop hard into gear. The gasket has been fixed and a put in an extra 1/2 quart of fluid yesterday but I still can't get it to pop into gear.

#10 · (Edited)
Could be the MLPS is defective or the connector is all corroded.

MLPS is (Manual Lever Position Sensor). The Clip that holds the Lever to the serrated adjusting plate could be broken, that would cause the MLPS not to move. New MLPS is about $57.

#11 ·
A bad MLPS cannot cause this problem. I can't come up with anything in the trans that can cause it. I'm leaning towards the problem being in the transfer case, axle, or the brakes.

#12 ·
If the MLPS was wacko wouldn't it just put the trans in limp mode?

Since it's a 4WD, the transfer case needs to be engaged, right?

#13 ·
If the MLPS is bad the trans will still engage first and reverse just fine, and it will move forward and reverse. There is no way that the MLPS can prevent that.

#16 ·
When it won't move: does the engine lug down, or rev up freely like Neutral? If it lugs: do the back wheels strain to go forward, and then roll back when you let off? If so - the rear brakes are stuck, and you're wrapping up the springs. In this case, DON'T gag on it in 4L - you could break something.

#18 ·
FWIW,
I'm seeing parking brakes that springs are gone, rotted thru, brake linings completely delaminated. I also see that virtually all, hinged actuator levers are seized at the hinge pin. This is designed so when the cable pulls on the end outside, it pushes the leading shoe into the " hat inside if the rotor ( a de facto brake drum ). Once shoe stops traveling foreword as it contacts that surface, the lever hinges pushing out the trailing shoe.
Trust me, when that puppy stops hinging, binding, shoes delaminate, springs rot,,,that's it Jack...It can drag HARD!! or make a no go sitcheation.

#19 ·
Gave it another shot this evening with an extra set of eyes and you can see the drive shaft move a bit. Buddy who was looking thinks the rear brakes may be locked up. I do use the truck to launch a boat in sal****er which would speed up corrosion obviously. I've sprayed some WD40 into the drums to see if I can get these to loosen up. Any other thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.