E4OD Shift Problems!!!! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E4OD Shift Problems!!!!

History:
I have a 1996 F-250 Crew cab. 7.3 Powerstroke with E4OD Tranny 4X4. Since I purchased truck about 2 years, when the speedometer reaches about 55mph the needle begins bouncing between 40 and 60 mph. As the speed of truck increases the bouncing continues but increases as well. I have not attempted to fix because it did not seem to affect the drivability of the truck. No other problems to note.
Current Problem:
Please forgive my lack of knowing technical terms. Please bare with me!
About a week ago, the transmission started going into what I have been calling some sort of "safe mode", with no type of pattern or cause. And nothing that I do seems to "make" it do it. To explain: I may start my truck in the morning and drive all day with no problems whatsoever. The next morning, I may start the truck and by the time I get to the end of the driveway it has went into "safemode". To describe what I mean, it runs,drives and shifts perfect when it is first started. I will stop and when I go to take off again, it seems to almost instantly shift HARD into second and quickly into 3rd and then overdrive. After paying closer attention there have been times when at 25mph I am already in overdrive! Strangly enough, when I shove the accelerator down and "get on it" while it is in "safe mode", it seems to be better. Certainly not normal, but the RPM's will come up alot higher prior to shifting and shifting itself is much smoother. Again, not normal, but better! The only thing that will take the truck out of this mode is stopping and shutting the truck off for a few seconds. After starting the truck back up, it may go the rest of the day and not "act up" again. Or it may only go 5 min. and go right back in to "safe mode" and continue to do that for the rest of the day! I have had local auto parts store scan the computer three different time with no trouble codes showing. I have disconnected the batteries over night in an attempt to reset the ECM with no luck. Trans fluid is at normal level, normal color and does not have any type of burnt smell. Any help would be GREAT!!! I am desperate for at least a place to start trouble shooting! THANKS A TON!!!!
7.3forme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome to the Diesel Stop

Sounds like the tranny is going into what called "limp mode"..harsh sifts etc. Is the check engine light coming on at all? Does the O/D off light blink? if so then there is trouble code(s) stored.

Problem with the auto parts stores scanners is they don't communicate with the PSD. You will need to find someone with a code reader that can retrieve PSD codes. there is a software program available for a lap top that will retrieve PSD codes, it's called AutoEnginuity. Cost is about $350.00 as you need the basic program and the Ford expansion pack.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

My guess would be tue speed sensor on the rear differential. And the sensor talks to the trans and tells it when to shift. Mark K. Knows a whole lot more on these granny's, hopefully he will chime in. But if it were me I'd pull the speed sensor on the top of the rear axle and start there. Good luck, let us know how you make out.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3forme View Post
I have had local auto parts store scan the computer three different time with no trouble codes showing.
All the auto parts store can do with this truck is clear the codes and tell you there are no codes. There could be 20 codes stored and their tool will tell them no codes. You get what you pay for.

Pay someone with the proper tool to access the codes. Any Ford dealer can do it, and so can almost any independent shop. But not any auto parts store.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
I agree mine did the same changed sensor on rear diffential and shifts good again
thought my old truck had power
wow this truck is unreal
SNOWRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
I agree with getting a new sensor first for that much bouncing around.

When the factory LSD died in my truck, I disconnected the sensor cable during the repair. Ever since then, the speedometer bounces a few miles an hour as you drive down the road, but only over about 55mph. I installed a new sensor, new tone ring, and it still happens. What I've heard is that the actuall connection from the cable to the connector can cause problems, and needs to be soldered. I'm doing that this weekend, and we'll see if it fixes the problem. If a new sensor doesn't solve the problem, is the next place to check.

Michael
artificer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

The final Verdict!!!

Ok, after much consideration and debate on what to do, I followed Mark K's advise. Took my truck a a local Transmission shop and paid the $50.00 scanner fee he charges. Kinda glad I did. Otherwise I may still be throwing parts at her with no results. Turns out, the only code showing was the TPS sensor. ( throttle positioning sensor malfunction ) Sad part is, the part was $8 cheaper than the scan! $ 41.95 and 5 min. to change. It was the sensor just above the accelerator pedal. After replacing, she shifts as smooth as she did when she was new! Thanks everyone for the advise!
7.3forme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

7.3forme, Did your E4OD occasionally go into a "slip" or freewheeling mode? My 97 Has started doing the same thing. I have replaced the MLPS and the VSS. It will go into the "limp" mode with the short shifts. Next time you drive it might be perfectly fine. Mine will also every once and a while just all of a sudden drop out the cruise control. Sometimes you can press resume and it will pick back up , other times it woon't work again until you turn off the key and "reset" the computer??? I have even dissassembled the rear differential and replaced the "tone ring" on the carrier because it had one chipped tooth. My VSS and MLPS are both Motorcraft parts so I feel they are good quality. Did you have to get your TPS on the throttle pedal from Ford (Motorcraft)? I attempted to purchase one of these just to try and could not find an exact match at any aftermarket parts store. Thanks for any more information on this thread. I'm bout at my wits end. The truck only has 88,000 miles and I'm the second owner....if I can't figure this out soon there might be a "third" owner LOL Thanks
Fordman66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Bad multifunction switch. (Turn signals ect on the column). The switch leaks out and puts on the brake lights, turns off the cruise, turns the torque converter to unlocked.
1997 F350CC, 4x4, PSD Tipper pro kleenex open filter. Roggen 6" lift kit with 26" ratflex 12" offset tires. Downpipe cut and welded to adapt 3" into a 12" outlet. 12" muffler cut and adapted to 2", then a special turbo manifold from a volkswagon modified to flank out to 3" to the tail pipe. Interior from a Corvair modified by cutting 6" off the padding. Snize and snide 32gallon aux tank mounted in rear seat, rear seat relocated to bed. Bed shortened to 4ft.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Is that advice on the multifunction switch from personal experience? If you hooked an indicator light up to the brake light circuit you think while your driving you might see the bulb "flash" and at the same time the cruise frop out? That is an interesting possibility..........
Old 11-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3forme View Post
History:
I have a 1996 F-250 Crew cab. 7.3 Powerstroke with E4OD Tranny 4X4. Since I purchased truck about 2 years, when the speedometer reaches about 55mph the needle begins bouncing between 40 and 60 mph. As the speed of truck increases the bouncing continues but increases as well. I have not attempted to fix because it did not seem to affect the drivability of the truck. No other problems to note.
Current Problem:
Please forgive my lack of knowing technical terms. Please bare with me!
About a week ago, the transmission started going into what I have been calling some sort of "safe mode", with no type of pattern or cause. And nothing that I do seems to "make" it do it. To explain: I may start my truck in the morning and drive all day with no problems whatsoever. The next morning, I may start the truck and by the time I get to the end of the driveway it has went into "safemode". To describe what I mean, it runs,drives and shifts perfect when it is first started. I will stop and when I go to take off again, it seems to almost instantly shift HARD into second and quickly into 3rd and then overdrive. After paying closer attention there have been times when at 25mph I am already in overdrive! Strangly enough, when I shove the accelerator down and "get on it" while it is in "safe mode", it seems to be better. Certainly not normal, but the RPM's will come up alot higher prior to shifting and shifting itself is much smoother. Again, not normal, but better! The only thing that will take the truck out of this mode is stopping and shutting the truck off for a few seconds. After starting the truck back up, it may go the rest of the day and not "act up" again. Or it may only go 5 min. and go right back in to "safe mode" and continue to do that for the rest of the day! I have had local auto parts store scan the computer three different time with no trouble codes showing. I have disconnected the batteries over night in an attempt to reset the ECM with no luck. Trans fluid is at normal level, normal color and does not have any type of burnt smell. Any help would be GREAT!!! I am desperate for at least a place to start trouble shooting! THANKS A TON!!!!
Pull the #9 fuse for a few hours (or over night) It will reset it,... 'til you tromp it and slip the clutch in the torq converter again.
fatboy
Old 11-13-2011, 10:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman66 View Post
Is that advice on the multifunction switch from personal experience? If you hooked an indicator light up to the brake light circuit you think while your driving you might see the bulb "flash" and at the same time the cruise frop out? That is an interesting possibility..........
i have a scanner and had it hooked up as I drove. Right when the cruise cut out and the trans converter dropped out of locked I could watch the scanner indicate I was applying the brakes. I wasn't. Then I see all the brakes lights ect go through that switch. So I buy the switch and all is well for the last few years.
1997 F350CC, 4x4, PSD Tipper pro kleenex open filter. Roggen 6" lift kit with 26" ratflex 12" offset tires. Downpipe cut and welded to adapt 3" into a 12" outlet. 12" muffler cut and adapted to 2", then a special turbo manifold from a volkswagon modified to flank out to 3" to the tail pipe. Interior from a Corvair modified by cutting 6" off the padding. Snize and snide 32gallon aux tank mounted in rear seat, rear seat relocated to bed. Bed shortened to 4ft.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
i have a scanner and had it hooked up as I drove. Right when the cruise cut out and the trans converter dropped out of locked I could watch the scanner indicate I was applying the brakes. I wasn't. Then I see all the brakes lights ect go through that switch. So I buy the switch and all is well for the last few years.
RonKZ650....what scanner tool do you have? If I continue owning this truck its looking like I will need to invest in a diagostic tool for myself. I am thankful for being able to post my problems on here and get answers from fine people that have already had the same issues and figured out what causes them but for my own good I probably need a scanner. Thanks Again!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman66 View Post
RonKZ650....what scanner tool do you have? If I continue owning this truck its looking like I will need to invest in a diagostic tool for myself. I am thankful for being able to post my problems on here and get answers from fine people that have already had the same issues and figured out what causes them but for my own good I probably need a scanner. Thanks Again!
I got the OTC Genisys however it's spelled. It's not a cheap junk scanner and works fine on the diesel. Before that I had a cheap junk scanner and it was just that. What in the heck good is a scanner that says your oil temp is 400 degrees in the middle of winter? Zero. Invest in a good scanner if you feel the need. I got the OTC and been happy with it. Good luck all guys with the E4OD. That is my downfall with this truck, when the availability of the manual was not there I got the E4OD. 15 years of torture now and counting.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

Okay, TPS hu? Mine freewheels sometimes at about between 35 and 40 mph. Pat the throttle litely and nothing, if u do it yoo hard it may engauge witha hellva KLUNK!!! I usually have to pull over shut it down, but sometimes it will catch litely andgo on all day or a week with no problem, I'm on my 2rd ford VSS.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.