Ether damage? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2008, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ether damage?

Got a chance to buy a '96 CC 4X F350 for $3500 or less. Body is straight, running gear great, front end just gone through, 100K, AT in good condition, etc... Was also a slope truck. I'm going to look at it next week.

Guy loaned it out, glow plugs didn't start it at -35, no plug ins so friend used ether. Now runs like crap. Guy think it cracked a head. What should I look for/test to confirm that? Other ideas/thoughts as to extent of damage?

Ad said it ran rough so I figured it would be the uvcg, cps or ipr... Don't mind tearing into it, I know where I can get parts and this would give me a chance to get DIY injectors done and swapped into mine with less down time.

THANKS!

SOLD '00 F350 Lariet CC 4X4 on 37" Iroks, 325K miles, pulled most stuff off and put on the EX.

SOLD '95 F350 CC 4X4 (ex-slope truck) flatbed on 35" BFG and H2 rims.

Play/plow truck '91 F350 on 40X17X15's, 351W, CC bobbed 3', winches front/rear, lots of DIY stuff.
SlopeTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 07:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
youll need to run a compression check--sounds like might have cracked--or broke, a piston---cant use gas compression tester as it doesnt go high enough--and youll need the adaptor for the powerstroke------
94 f250 idi turbo sc e4od alum fac rims 149,289 --dana 60 frt with posi--10.25 rear w/posi--shouldnt get stuck!! ats turbo 3" parts on--what a diff from stock turbo!!!!!--- also 96 F250 with 305,000 is fixed!!-- 7.3 rattler-also 85 6.9-needs new engine!! tired!!
94_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2008, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

My mechanic tried to start my truck on ether once. He never disconnected the glow plug relay. There was a big BOOM but the ether never helped get it started. Once it was finally running the truck ran fine but 3 months later I changed my Tymar air filter and noticed a black burnt area. See attached photo. The BOOM singed the inside of the filter. No more ether ever again for this truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Ether damage?-img_0645.jpg  

hheynow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2008, 02:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

if you use ether you all know it could bend/brake something but even if the GPs were disconnected its hard on the rings because it cleans all the oil off the cylinder walls which will cause faster ring wear, just something i learned today...

1989 L8000 Dump Truck, 7.8L , 6 speed Fuller, 315000miles

1964 F350, 24v 5.9 Cummins, New Nv4500, Np205, JD green paint "Built Not Bought" 0 miles,
sloate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2008, 08:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

I seen idi started on diesel without the glowplugs disconnected. It usually burns off one or more of the tips and embeds them into the top of your piston. This makes for one loud knocking engine. I can imagine that this can happen in a powerstroke with the option of the burnt off glow plug tip hiting and damaging the injector tip. Idi engines did have a ether port built into the air filter for an optional ether system for use in areas like alaska.
macmaniac1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2008, 09:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Just yesterday I had to replace the alternator on my F-450 and my men on the job was getting her jumped off due to batteries being dead. I went and was loading up some equipment and came back around because they were having a problem getting her started. I thought I smelled ether and low and behold I seen a ether can in one of my mens hands. I went bezerk on him. I guess he had the can in his car, because I do not buy it. He said that he had not used it yet, but I do not beleive him. I had them to let the truck sit for about a half hour and she started up and no bang. I was so mad I could not see straight. These engines will not handle it. Ether is for old detroits only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ADDED: 95 F-450 reg. cab. 183" wheelbase, 5 speed manual, 5:13 gears. Bone Stock for now. Bought it with 67,500 miles, for $8,500.00. Has a 13ft. flat bed, with a Ramsy 9ton dump.

2008 Dodge Nitro SXT 4x4 with a six speed manual.
painter213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

In the WORSTscenary is less harmfull to use WD40 than ether.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

oil

Ive used ether on mine but I waited a few to put it in and started gpr. If you unhook it it should be ok. I have growen up with diesels for 20 years and and a little shot should not hurt the head, plus dont run 15 40 when its that cold I run straight ten weight in winter.
swacor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.