FORD - No Start - Page 10 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2005, 10:30 AM   #136 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to KrisH
Re: FORD - No Start

Here is a photo of the inside of the IDM off of the 1996 Ford F-250 we have been wrestling with.

that Capacitor is a Radio Shack item...the transformer...Ummmm I donno.

Photo of the IDM

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
-- Samuel Adams, speech at the Philadelphia State House, August 1, 1776.
KrisH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2005, 11:18 AM   #137 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

Kris, is oil still comming out aroung that injector? You could be losing just enough pressure that it won't catch.
Partsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2005, 12:37 PM   #138 (permalink)

I think that oil I seen was there all along, laying in a low area on the cylinder head down hill from the injector. Still possible it needs o-rings though.

But at the moment, that gully wash of fuel running off the back of the intake valley has got to be dealt with.

[ QUOTE ]
Kris, is oil still comming out aroung that injector? You could be losing just enough pressure that it won't catch.

[/ QUOTE ]

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:05 PM   #139 (permalink)

I've had it with this truck...I just went outside again to turn it over some more thinking all the air had not worked out yet (I got an O-ring from a local parts store for the FPR bowl seal)...Hit the key for 15-20 seconds and the starter continued trying to start the engine after I let off the key...I finally had to run up front and yank the battery cables off to keep the truck from burning up...smoke boiling from the starter.

Kris

Old 07-19-2005, 05:10 PM   #140 (permalink)

Thats caused by your batteries geing low. It welds the soleniod contacts together on the fender. Give it a good wack with a screwdriver handle and charge the batteries.
Partsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2005, 08:02 PM   #141 (permalink)

partsman----and replace the starter-- [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
94 f250 idi turbo sc e4od alum fac rims 149,289 --dana 60 frt with posi--10.25 rear w/posi--shouldnt get stuck!! ats turbo 3" parts on--what a diff from stock turbo!!!!!--- also 96 F250 with 305,000 is fixed!!-- 7.3 rattler-also 85 6.9-needs new engine!! tired!!
94_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2005, 08:31 PM   #142 (permalink)

I smacked it several times with a pair of pliers thinking that would work before going after the cables. When I hit the starter the batteries were at 12.6 volts (full charge) and had 13.8 volts @ 30 amps being pumped into them.

[ QUOTE ]
Thats caused by your batteries geing low. It welds the soleniod contacts together on the fender. Give it a good wack with a screwdriver handle and charge the batteries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 07-19-2005, 08:38 PM   #143 (permalink)

I'm really thrilled about taking that starter out again too. Especially that one click at a time ratchet top bolt.

I did not mention it before but the solonoid I replaced was installed with a pair of rounded out phillips round head machine screws and lock-tite. Had to take the whole mess out to have room to get the screws out by cutting a slot in them.

[ QUOTE ]
partsman----and replace the starter-- [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 07-19-2005, 08:45 PM   #144 (permalink)

Kris, been a month now, you ready to sell it yet?
Rick H...
HIS
96 F250 4x4 auto super cab.
TS 4 Pos Chip, addaLeaf, Boss 8'-6" plow, , DIY AIC, Tymar DP, gutted EBPV, JS IDM, Tymar Intake, 4" Open exhaust, trio a-pillar gauges + 6 overhead gauges. TruCool 4590 Tran Cooler. On board air with dual horns. 4 corner strobes. AC mod with Twist, ISSPro Turbo Temp Monitor, Power Pedel mod, turbo ped mod, Warn Lock-outs, Swamps 175/173 99 IC & GTS Pipe Kit,Snow Performance Water/Meth inj (NOT hooked up!), chicken to use it!
Garmin GPS,Toughbook Laptop, All Mode Ham Radio.
HERS
97 F250 CC SWB 100% stock and going to stay that way! I lied, Shimmed, Tymar Intake. I lied again, kat dead! More lies.. 3" DP, Gutted EBPV, Turbo Pedistal Mod. Dyno'd 263 hp
[color:"RED"] RDRCM#20 [/color]
RickHredf250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2005, 08:46 PM   #145 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I smacked it several times with a pair of pliers thinking that would work before going after the cables. When I hit the starter the batteries were at 12.6 volts (full charge) and had 13.8 volts @ 30 amps being pumped into them.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's definitely caused by low batteries. I work on these things all the time and i've seen it happen several times......

Starr

PS What you need is a proper scan tool. In my humble opinion,, other than the normal obvious stuff it seems like to me these things are impossible to work on without a scan tool capable of reading PIDS and doing functional tests. Try to see if you can find a snap-on scanner to use.

OLD TRUCKS

'97 F-350, 4x4, PSD, XLT, 5spd. w/brass rings, LUK Cerametallic Clutch, Crew Cab, 219k, LS4.10's, BFG 35x12.5 A/T's, Front Leveling kit, Three ISSPRO Guages mounted on the A-pillar, Hypermax Thermal Coated Downpipe, 4" Strait pipe Exhaust, Gutted EBPV, Diesel Power (Bill's) 4 Position Flip Chip, Tymar Intake, Swamp's 175/146's, Late Model HPOP, Ford AIC, AMSOIL Modifications courtesy of STARR SERVICE LLC

'97 F-350, 4x4, PSD, XLT, 5spd., LUK Clutch, Crew Cab, 234k, 4.10's, Reading Spacemaster Utility Body

'04 F-250, 4x4, 6.0L PSD, Crew Cab Short Bed

My Truck Pics
PowerstrokeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2005, 09:30 PM   #146 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)

Sorry to say this, but it sounds like you had one simple problem that turned into many other problems due to bad diagnostics. Don't get mad at the truck for that.

Hope you get it fixed. Charge the batteries up and see what it does.

Tobin

http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...00/ppuser/1520
Tobin LaBorde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2005, 01:19 AM   #147 (permalink)

Seen, read, does not merit a response.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to say this, but it sounds like you had one simple problem that turned into many other problems due to bad diagnostics. Don't get mad at the truck for that.

Hope you get it fixed. Charge the batteries up and see what it does.

Tobin

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 07-21-2005, 10:07 AM   #148 (permalink)

As it turns out, nothing wrong with the fender solonoid. The replacement solonoid on the starter was bad out of the box. Suspected this due to this particular gremlin coming to life immediately after it's installation. Worn starter armature may have also caused this, and yes perhaps the batteries too...But most likley a combination.

Action taken: New Starter, Starter solonoid, and batteries installed. One battery tested bad both replaced, fender solonoid on order from advanced auto parts for good measure.

Apparently the fuel leak on the FPR to bowl seal has been dealt with. No more fuel flow off the valley. While I had the FPR off this time I also yanked the snap ring on the bottom and pulled that apart. The brillo filter was clogged, pulled out, and cleaned. getting that O-ring on the lower plate back in place was fun.

The truck is now back to it's first improvement...turns over, fires, but does not start. Brownish black smoke out the tail pipes. Checked the glow plugs on the passengers side when I had that apart and they were good. .08 ohms if I remember correct...Not much but enough to indicate that they were not an open circuit. Guess I need to yank the drivers side again and check those.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 07-21-2005, 10:15 AM   #149 (permalink)

your getting there kris--be just like the terminator--never quit--truck might think its the boss--- [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
94 f250 idi turbo sc e4od alum fac rims 149,289 --dana 60 frt with posi--10.25 rear w/posi--shouldnt get stuck!! ats turbo 3" parts on--what a diff from stock turbo!!!!!--- also 96 F250 with 305,000 is fixed!!-- 7.3 rattler-also 85 6.9-needs new engine!! tired!!
94_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2005, 10:23 AM   #150 (permalink)

No vehicle has EVER beaten me. You should have heard me rant and rave when I was first learning the finer points of 68-81, 82, and 84-96 corvettes years back. I could have sold comedy tapes. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
your getting there kris--be just like the terminator--never quit--truck might think its the boss--- [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.