Fuel Filter Restriction Sensor - Questions - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Fuel Filter Restriction Sensor - Questions

Hi all,

I recently developed a leak from this sensor and after reading some good information from past threads, I called up my local International dealer (in Denver) to check on availablity of this part.

#1809435c1

The parts person explained to me that it had been discontinued.

Has anyone else checked on this sensor and can confirm this?

Looks like I'll be getting the 1/8 NPT plug and some yellow teflon tape for my repair, rather than spending $$ at Ford.

Also, I was wondering if I was to get the sensor, is any yellow teflon tape required for it as well or just put the sensor in dry?

Thanks,
JB
Mods: GP and Door Chime Bypasses , DPPI Downpipe, Bilsteins, Autometer Z-Series (Pyro, Tranny Temp, Boost) in Rockin S Pod, Tymar Intake and Coolant Filter, Tru-Cool Trans Cooler, Magnefine Trans Filter
TDS Mods: Gutterguarded Grill, <$10 Cold Air Intake, FPR Shimmed @ 70psi
JazzBass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
I just bought sensor 1809435C1 earlier this week from an International dealer (Brattain in Portland, OR). My factory sensor was installed dry (no sealer). It did not appear to be leaking from the pipe thread (it was leaking through the body of the sensor). Be VERY careful threading the new one in. Mine goes into the fuel bowl itself (yours should go into the FPR), but both are known for being weak aluminum castings. My fuel bowl split with VERY little torque on the sensor.

Regards,
Michael Pliska
10 ISSPRO Performax gauges, Tymar Intake, Gutted EBPV, Tymar 3x4" downpipe, Tymar 5" exhaust, Cat's hiding in the shed, Baby Swamps & Tunes, Tricumulator springs and Accumulator Valve, Tru-Cool 4590 Trans Cooler, Lock-Right Locker
2000 Jetta TDI - Kerma reflash, Der Chimera Stage II Clutch
1998 S&S 9.5' slide-in camper
33' enclosed tag trailer with 2 doorslammer drag cars (73 Vega Super-Gas & 74 Vega ET Super-Pro)
1992 GMC Typhoon, 1973 Chevy Blazer with Pontiac 400, 1973 Trans-Am 455
NRA member and certified firearms instructor
GOA member
IDPA member
MJPliska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Michael,

Well, that's pretty odd. I may go down there in person and see what's up. I appreciate the words of caution as well. I have the same leak as well; from the sensor body.

If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for the sensor? (You can PM if you want or prefer)

Thanks,
JB
Mods: GP and Door Chime Bypasses , DPPI Downpipe, Bilsteins, Autometer Z-Series (Pyro, Tranny Temp, Boost) in Rockin S Pod, Tymar Intake and Coolant Filter, Tru-Cool Trans Cooler, Magnefine Trans Filter
Old 01-18-2008, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Try powerstrokeshop.com for E8TZ-9S283-A. Many use the plug but I like to know while driving that there is a restriction. Don't use teflon tape in your fuel system. The smallest piece of tape can come loose and cause a clog. Use teflon paste or Permatex.

hheynow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have found that McCandless isn't very helpful over the phone. I needed quite a few parts awhile back and kept being told it didn't exist or discontinued. I went down with my list talked a bit with the Parts guy gave him my list and he pulled everything and gave a decent discount for my troubles... Since - I haven't called them, if I need something I simply go down there. But with the discount I can get from Ford, I don't hardly make the trip out there...

Sam
Go Fast - Hybrids, H2E, 6.0 IC, Fuelab, BTS
thanx go to

Rockin-S-Performance - Install, tech support, and advice
Diesel Innovations - Killer Deal on Parts
Tony Wildman - Tuning
genie144 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hheynow View Post
Don't use teflon tape in your fuel system. The smallest piece of tape can come loose and cause a clog. Use teflon paste or Permatex.

You shouldn't use tape on it because it electrically isolates the sensor from the body and even if there is a restriction the circuit won't be completed and the light won't come on.
BlueMule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (20)
JB I have new one here that I do not need. Send me a PM.

Tom
PMF RSK V and B code springs
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2008, 02:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks to all

Hi all,

Thanks to everybody!

Well, it's nice to know (I guess ) that my experience is not the only one with the dealer.

Regarding the paste/tape - thanks for the info. I won't use any on the sensor, but I'm still unsure of (if I wind up getting a plug instead) which to use. I understand not wanting to get the tape in the system, but I had read some other negative stuff about the paste, so I don't know. I think a discussion of why one is better than the other would be beneficial for someone like me, who doesn't know.

I've PM'd Tom S and hopefully I'll have a sensor to replace.

Thanks again!
JB
Old 01-20-2008, 03:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

tape vs dope

I used yellow tape and a brass plug, and haven't had a problem since. To my thinking, tape is much more predictable in its final location than dope. If you go this route, use the smallest wrench you can, and your weak hand; try finger tight plus 1/4 turn, then start and check for leaks with a flashlight and your fingers. If you tighten too much you WILL crack the FPR and then either spend way too much at Ford or the next two evenings with spray solvent and JB Weld (don't ask.) I figure if you buy good fuel and check your filter from time to time, I don't need the FRS to tell me anything.

Josh
'96 F350 XLT CC 4x4 PSD auto LWB 4.10 open, white, open intake, Tymar HX, 3"DPP downpipe, 315 General A/T on factory Alcoas, F add-a-leaf, new alt x3, fuel pump x3, water pump x2, vac pump x 3, PS pump x3, SD starter x3, rebuilt seats, total poly bushing kit, serious noise reduction, new tan interior and vinyl floor, Bilsteins, Bean's Stage 1s, Tony Wildman 4-pos chip (wow), etc ad infinitum, old black Lab in backseat, locally rebuilt tranny & new TC @ 211k, complete body 'makeover' and repaint @ 213k, new fast-spool turbo 7/11, 307k miles on 18 Oct '13; probably won't run forever but neither will I
JoshR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sorry, I didn't see the question about the price of the sensor. It was $31.82.

Regards,
Michael Pliska
10 ISSPRO Performax gauges, Tymar Intake, Gutted EBPV, Tymar 3x4" downpipe, Tymar 5" exhaust, Cat's hiding in the shed, Baby Swamps & Tunes, Tricumulator springs and Accumulator Valve, Tru-Cool 4590 Trans Cooler, Lock-Right Locker
2000 Jetta TDI - Kerma reflash, Der Chimera Stage II Clutch
1998 S&S 9.5' slide-in camper
33' enclosed tag trailer with 2 doorslammer drag cars (73 Vega Super-Gas & 74 Vega ET Super-Pro)
1992 GMC Typhoon, 1973 Chevy Blazer with Pontiac 400, 1973 Trans-Am 455
NRA member and certified firearms instructor
GOA member
IDPA member
MJPliska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

My light just came on AFTER a filter change and I have no idea where the switch is.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

fatboy here is a link to a picture of the sensor. Ford calls it a fuel filter vaccuum switch.
easy to take out, i did it yesterday in about 3 min. i didnt use any tape or paste though.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...tch-97fws1.gif
Old 02-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
fatboy, it will depend on your truck. If you have an earlier 95 it could be on the backside of the fuel bowl, waaaay down towards the bottom (a real pain to change it even with a plug). If it is a later one, it should be on the regulator body on the driver's side (like in the picture posted by arob 47 ... much easier to get to). Cheers!

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
Patrick Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

Well after the post I took the cover off the top the the engine and found it and it must be an early 95 cause it looks like it is goin to be a PITA

thanks guys for the reply, It looks like I'll need a swivel or something.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.