Fuel heater, were to disconnect? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 09:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel heater, were to disconnect?

Hey guys, My 95 died last week. Just got back in town and after looking at the truck Im wondering if I can unplug the heater outside the fuel bowl? The connect to the housing appears to be sealed?

Do you just un plug it in the bowl and remove the element? Does the wire just dangle in there?

It blew my 30 amp maxi. When I uplug the harness the fuse dosent blow and my WTS light works again. So I think its my fuel heater. And I just want to disconnect it. Not to cold in West Wash. and from what Ive read, its not really needed.

Good thing was it happened 20 feet away from my driveway!

Thanks in advance guys.
Bob D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
yeah you can unplug it from outside of the fuel bowl. Or, you can go inside the housing, remove the filter, remove the standpipe (left had thread) then unplug the heater and pull it out. There is a plastic connector that has a seal on it and its pushed into the fuel canister to seal the fuel from leaking out. It is much like our valve cover gaskets. You can unplug the heater from whatever side you feel like to.
2005 E-150 XL 4.6l V8 60000 kms (37000 miles) Paid $15000 09/07

Last edited by ScottFraser2; 01-26-2009 at 10:57 AM.
ScottFraser2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, It seems like a turd to get the plastic seal out of the side of the housing. Especially since Im really not soure how it works. Ill probably just go in from the inside. Or I could remove the wire terminal from the connector I suppose too.

If you remove it from the inside, does the wire just hang there? Seems that could cause the same problem?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
It is a spade type connector on the outside and with the heat and age you may need a screwdriver to pop it off. As far as the inside if you go that route just unplug it. If you look at it on the inside of the bowl you will see that the heater element has three pads that it is connected to. Usually a couple of them break loose and then the heater flops around in the housing witch causes the short. You do not have to remove the heater element unless you plan on replacing it.

Jim
Old 01-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just unplug it from the outside a single plug on drivers side. Leave it that way mine has been this way for 3 years and no problems. You get enough heat off engine to warm the fuel. just my .02
Jeep1947 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

thanks guys. Ill give her a whirl tonight.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's a helluva lot easier to do from inside the canister...
'96 F350 XLT CC 4x4 PSD auto LWB 4.10 open, white, open intake, Tymar HX, 3"DPP downpipe, 315 General A/T on factory Alcoas, F add-a-leaf, new alt x3, fuel pump x3, water pump x2, vac pump x 3, PS pump x3, SD starter x3, rebuilt seats, total poly bushing kit, serious noise reduction, new tan interior and vinyl floor, Bilsteins, Bean's Stage 1s, Tony Wildman 4-pos chip (wow), etc ad infinitum, old black Lab in backseat, locally rebuilt tranny & new TC @ 211k, complete body 'makeover' and repaint @ 213k, new fast-spool turbo 7/11, 307k miles on 18 Oct '13; probably won't run forever but neither will I
JoshR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
I've actually broken the "fuel heater thermostat" (the part that attaches to the fuel bowl) trying to get the spade connector off from the outside. That part is about $40-$45 from Ford and is sealed with an o-ring and a hold-down clamp. I always disconnect mine from the spade connector inside the bowl. If you do want to remove the element and it's already fubar, leave the plate in there as removing it may cause problems since the standpipe will sit slightly lower without it in there. Cheers!

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
Patrick Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'll go from the inside. Still curious as to the wire though. Does it just hang in there once unplugged? What if it touches something?
Old 01-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
The wire from the element won't hurt anything if it touches. It would only cause problems if it contacted the spade that it was disconnected from (if the heater is already messed up, you can disconnect it and clip the wire off ... or just rip the element off the plate). Cheers!

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
Patrick Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 01:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Got it. Thanks again, with 260,000 miles on this rig. I know about everything that can go wrong. This is a new one to me. But, like allot of the other problems, you guys have usaully talked about it. Great site and great info.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Five years ago when this truck was new to me, I had the fuel heater element come loose and leave me dead at roadside a block from a buddy's house. I walked there, asked to use his computer, logged on here and asked for help. The first reply came 15 minutes later (from Jim in Alaska) who was dead-on with his diagnosis. I was able to disconnect the heater, replace the #22 maxifuse, and get home (then) to Chicago... I said it then, and I too will say it again: Gawd this is a great site, and thanks to all who pass on what they know...

Josh
'96 F350 XLT CC 4x4 PSD auto LWB 4.10 open, white, open intake, Tymar HX, 3"DPP downpipe, 315 General A/T on factory Alcoas, F add-a-leaf, new alt x3, fuel pump x3, water pump x2, vac pump x 3, PS pump x3, SD starter x3, rebuilt seats, total poly bushing kit, serious noise reduction, new tan interior and vinyl floor, Bilsteins, Bean's Stage 1s, Tony Wildman 4-pos chip (wow), etc ad infinitum, old black Lab in backseat, locally rebuilt tranny & new TC @ 211k, complete body 'makeover' and repaint @ 213k, new fast-spool turbo 7/11, 307k miles on 18 Oct '13; probably won't run forever but neither will I
JoshR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

It was a success. The element was disconnected at all 3 solder joints from the plate. The terminal slid right off and out came the element. The terminal inside is right on the body of the bowl so no wire dangles and no chance of anything touching it. Plate is still in to keep the proper standpipe height. Did not even have to remove the pipe.

15 minutes from start to finish. Truck fired right up. Thanks everyone. Thank god this did not happen out on the Oly Penn. We were loaded with 4 pontoons and all our Steelhead gear. Could have been a 300 plus dollar tow bill. Plus the shop most likely would have been at least 200 if no reamage was used. Lol

It costs 8 bucks in fuses...
Old 01-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #14 (permalink)

I'm glad it worked out so well. I think I was among the first to have this happen way back about 10 yrs ago. Nobody knew the problem then, but it shorted right in my driveway thank the Lord. They recalled the trucks for the CPS. It seems to me this heater is even more of a danger. Leave it out of the circuit.
1997 F350CC, 4x4, PSD Tipper pro kleenex open filter. Roggen 6" lift kit with 26" ratflex 12" offset tires. Downpipe cut and welded to adapt 3" into a 12" outlet. 12" muffler cut and adapted to 2", then a special turbo manifold from a volkswagon modified to flank out to 3" to the tail pipe. Interior from a Corvair modified by cutting 6" off the padding. Snize and snide 32gallon aux tank mounted in rear seat, rear seat relocated to bed. Bed shortened to 4ft.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 04:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

fuel heater element

My element has come dislodged at all three contacts as well. I was seeking out a reason for my truck having stalled and then refusing to start up. Filter is dirty as hell, and lots of gunk down there, but lo and behold, the damn heater is dangling all over. What i dont understand, is would this stop a moving truck. i would think a short would be significant, but only later, when trying to run a colder truck. this was warm as can be. i must be missing something vital here...

thank in advance,

sam
samduket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.