fuel heating element - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel heating element

got my fuel heating element from advanced auto the other day. Went to put it in and...holy crap. Tried putting it in but there was no way in the time I had that day. Lookin like I'm gonna have to take the canister out to get that little connection in. Am I looking at that thing right? Or is there something I'm missing here. Thanks
twitchcvma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
Which element did you get, the wire on the plate or the SD-style? In any case, you need to remove the black plastic standpipe (7/8" crows-foot wrench, standpipe is lefthand threaded) and remove the old plate (if you haven't already done so). You should be able to connect the small spade connector at that point (using some needle-nose pliers if necessary). Then replace the standpipe. Cheers!

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
Patrick Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

diesel fuel heater element, '97 Pwr Stroke

I got the Dorman 904-210. thanks for the reply. gonna try and get to it this Sunday. Gotta put up Christmas lights too, the the heating element may have to wait. But it will definitely get put in as soon as I can get to it. Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.
twitchcvma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

I hope the Doorman is a decent setup. I had my first heater short out before anyone else even heard of the problem clear back in about 2000 and I figured out the short in my driveway with no help. Truck died in the driveway! What the heck good luck! Then I go to replace it and being the first one I broke off the standpipe before figuring it was left hand thread. Got the new standpipe and heater and by about 2005 it shorted out and blew another fuse, again in the driveway. I could have 2x been killed by getting stranded on I-25 in 75mph traffic, so I figured the whole idea was really more danger than good. Since then I have run without the heater here in Denver. Last winter on a real cold day the fuel filter restriction lamp came on and I was able to limp the truck off the road before it died and I think the restriction was gelled fuel. I walked home and got fresh fuel and filter and filled the bowl with the fresh fuel and new filter and barely got 1 mile, then switched to the other tank and had no further problems from there. After that filled the first tank to fresh fuel as possible and no more problems. Sorry to ramble, but my take on the fuel heater is it's a piece o crap. Decent fuel no need for it. Get fuel treatment in winter if needed in leu of the heater for a safer truck reliability.
1997 F350CC, 4x4, PSD Tipper pro kleenex open filter. Roggen 6" lift kit with 26" ratflex 12" offset tires. Downpipe cut and welded to adapt 3" into a 12" outlet. 12" muffler cut and adapted to 2", then a special turbo manifold from a volkswagon modified to flank out to 3" to the tail pipe. Interior from a Corvair modified by cutting 6" off the padding. Snize and snide 32gallon aux tank mounted in rear seat, rear seat relocated to bed. Bed shortened to 4ft.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.