Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Beavercreek, Ohio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
re: Gear shifter selecter, how to adjust and take the play out?
Transmission Shift Control Cable
1. From inside the vehicle, place the gearshift lever (7210) in the OVERDRIVE position (E4OD). Hang a three-pound weight on the gearshift lever.
2. Raise vehicle on a hoist and position suitable safety stands under vehicle.
3. Remove the shift cable from the transmission lever ball stud.
4. Pull down the lock tab on the shift cable body.
5. Position the gearshift lever in the OVERDRIVE position (E4OD). This is three detents from the front-most lever position with the first position counting as one.
6. Connect the cable end fitting to the transmission lever ball stud.
7. Push up on the lock tab to lock the cable in the correctly adjusted position.
8. Remove safety stands and lower vehicle from hoist. Remove the three-pound weight from the gearshift lever.
9. CAUTION: Under no circumstances should the cable be adjusted in any position other than (D) (OVERDRIVE) for the E4OD automatic transmission.
After making the adjustment, check for park engagement. Check the gearshift lever in all detent positions with the engine (6007) running to make sure of correct detent/transmission actions. Readjust if necessary.
Shift Indicator Cable
1. Remove the four screws from the lower steering column shroud. Remove the lower steering column shroud.
2. Rotate gearshift lever (7210) clockwise until it bottoms out in first gear.
3. Rotate gearshift lever counterclockwise three detents (overdrive position).
4. Hang a three-pound weight on the gearshift lever.
5. Center pointer in the middle of (D) OVERDRIVE position, by rotating the thumbwheel located on right-hand side of steering column actuator housing.
Rick:Red 97 F350 CC DRW 4.10/LS E4OD, 28,000GVW trans cooler w/170F thermostat, remote ATF filter, Mobil 1 ATF, Sonnax valve & Tricum springs, Tymar Hi Performance Open Air Intake System W/Donaldson B085011 filter, IH water pump w/integrated coolant filter, BD downpipe & BD 4" cat back exhaust, "SWAMPED", Tymar HX mod, Tymar/Bill's 4 posn. "flip-chip" (this bad boy rocks), Isspro EV gages in 3 hole PITA Pod, "Harpooned" Fuel tanks, Bilstein shocks, Gutted EBPV, Alpine CDA-9825 head unit, Pioneer TS-A1671R 6 1/2" 220W Front, Pioneer TS-A6880R 6"X8" 240W rear, FOKISD member, Beavercreek, Ohio (near Dayton)