gear shifter selecter,how to adjust and take the play out? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2005, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
gear shifter selecter,how to adjust and take the play out?

My auto colum shift selector is kind of sloppy and sometimes isnt in gear when it shows it is.How do you tighten it up and adjust the linkage?
thanks
Suzuki Vinson 4x4 ATV
Ford 1510 Diesel tractor,4x4,loader
2012 Subaru Forester
2006 Honda VTX 1800S spec 3
AQHA QuarterHorse,1HP,Very Fast
moooboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2005, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Re: gear shifter selecter,how to adjust and take the play out?

Transmission Shift Control Cable

1. From inside the vehicle, place the gearshift lever (7210) in the OVERDRIVE position (E4OD). Hang a three-pound weight on the gearshift lever.

2. Raise vehicle on a hoist and position suitable safety stands under vehicle.

3. Remove the shift cable from the transmission lever ball stud.

4. Pull down the lock tab on the shift cable body.

5. Position the gearshift lever in the OVERDRIVE position (E4OD). This is three detents from the front-most lever position with the first position counting as one.

6. Connect the cable end fitting to the transmission lever ball stud.

7. Push up on the lock tab to lock the cable in the correctly adjusted position.

8. Remove safety stands and lower vehicle from hoist. Remove the three-pound weight from the gearshift lever.

9. CAUTION: Under no circumstances should the cable be adjusted in any position other than (D) (OVERDRIVE) for the E4OD automatic transmission.

After making the adjustment, check for park engagement. Check the gearshift lever in all detent positions with the engine (6007) running to make sure of correct detent/transmission actions. Readjust if necessary.

Shift Indicator Cable

1. Remove the four screws from the lower steering column shroud. Remove the lower steering column shroud.

2. Rotate gearshift lever (7210) clockwise until it bottoms out in first gear.

3. Rotate gearshift lever counterclockwise three detents (overdrive position).

4. Hang a three-pound weight on the gearshift lever.

5. Center pointer in the middle of (D) OVERDRIVE position, by rotating the thumbwheel located on right-hand side of steering column actuator housing.
Rick:Red 97 F350 CC DRW 4.10/LS E4OD, 28,000GVW trans cooler w/170F thermostat, remote ATF filter, Mobil 1 ATF, Sonnax valve & Tricum springs, Tymar Hi Performance Open Air Intake System W/Donaldson B085011 filter, IH water pump w/integrated coolant filter, BD downpipe & BD 4" cat back exhaust, "SWAMPED", Tymar HX mod, Tymar/Bill's 4 posn. "flip-chip" (this bad boy rocks), Isspro EV gages in 3 hole PITA Pod, "Harpooned" Fuel tanks, Bilstein shocks, Gutted EBPV, Alpine CDA-9825 head unit, Pioneer TS-A1671R 6 1/2" 220W Front, Pioneer TS-A6880R 6"X8" 240W rear, FOKISD member, Beavercreek, Ohio (near Dayton)
BigRed CC Dually is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2005, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

thanks!!
Suzuki Vinson 4x4 ATV
Ford 1510 Diesel tractor,4x4,loader
2012 Subaru Forester
2006 Honda VTX 1800S spec 3
AQHA QuarterHorse,1HP,Very Fast
moooboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2005, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (44)

Hey Moooboy;

Before you go to a lot of trouble, look at the picture in my photo gallery,

http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...amp;thecat=500

My Shift lever was real floppy and at times would not start in park, I looked up under the dash and found two screws holding the shift bracket on the bottom end of the shift rod were loose, ( A cable that runs down to the tranny. to shift it was fastened to one end of the shift bracket) tightened them up and now it selects gears like a new truck, if you need any more info. get back to me.

Thanks, Bill Miller.
1995 F250 XLT Powerstroke, Supercab, E40D tranny, 3.55 limited slip diff. (with all the bells and whistles) bucket seats and console, electric windows and door locks,intermitnent wipers, tilt wheel, cruse control, overdrive and turbo my IDI has none of these.

1985 Ford F-250 6.9L Std.cab,C-6 tranny, 3.55 Diff. DEEZEE Running boards, added factory Tach with existing circuit board, heater water bypass valve.

My Photos

dreamachinef250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2005, 11:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

Same thing happened on my '96. Tightened two torx head bolts and back to new.
'01 F-250,4x4,SC,LWB, Evans coolant/coolant filter, ATS Stage 5 tranny/torque converter, V-10 tranny cooler, 3.73 w/Detroit locker, Truetrac front, Bilstein 5100's, Auto-Meter Phantom's, 5" Hypermax exhaust

BDP

'02 F-250 4x2 CC SWB 4R100, 3.73ls(shimmed carrier), DI chip, CCV mod, 203* t-stat, coolant filter, AIH delete, Tymar HPX oil line, AIS, WW, Banks 1.0 "slowspool" housing, pedistal mod, Banks elbow&BHA, 4" turbo back w/btm, Isspro's
6.0 intercooler install(OBS)&truck pics
<span style="color: red">RDRCM #10 </span>
Sniper's credo "If you run, you'll just die tired"
richmondfarms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2005, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)

Mine also, easy fix for a very annoying problem...

SOLD '00 F350 Lariet CC 4X4 on 37" Iroks, 325K miles, pulled most stuff off and put on the EX.

SOLD '95 F350 CC 4X4 (ex-slope truck) flatbed on 35" BFG and H2 rims.

Play/plow truck '91 F350 on 40X17X15's, 351W, CC bobbed 3', winches front/rear, lots of DIY stuff.
SlopeTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Tightening the screws under the steering column first

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamachinef250 View Post
Hey Moooboy;

TheDieselStop.Com Photo Hosting - Solving floppy automatic shift lever problem

My Shift lever was real floppy and at times would not start in park, I looked up under the dash and found two screws holding the shift bracket on the bottom end of the shift rod were loose, ( A cable that runs down to the tranny. to shift it was fastened to one end of the shift bracket) tightened them up and now it selects gears like a new truck, if you need any more info. get back to me.

Thanks, Bill Miller.

I found this thread because my shifting was so sloppy I had to count from park to drive. I looked under the steering column and wiggled the shifting lever and discovered two very loose screws. After tightening them, not only did my shifting feel like new, the shift indicator lined up on the letter, imagine that.
moddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey Moooboy;

Thanks, Bill Miller.
+ 1 for another truck fixed (~6 years after this useful info was posted). If you shift lever is sloppy/problematic,, sometimes does not like to start in park, or whatever.... try the above link/fix.

My kids truck would not go into park at all, he called me, and I saw this little bolt with a torx head on the floorboard..... (easy fix). Had I not looked and found this post, i probably would have had the column apart....lol.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mine was out of whack too. I went under the dash and found that the pointer cable was loose due to a broken white plastic piece that holds the cable and thumbscrew tight.
I fixed it temporarily with an electrical tie because Ford was closed. Someone said you may have to buy the whole cable assembly rather than just the plastic piece. Mine was on a 97
F250. My Brother-in-Law's 2001 Ranger has the same setup and the same piece broke.
phubai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
amazing, 7yrs later and this thread was quite helpful TODAY...thanks
webfoot_wa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Mine too

Mine has the same problem, I will have to go out to see if mine is the easy fix.
Edge CS In Tow Mode
2nova2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 05:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

Went out and checked those 2 torx head screws after reading this thread. Sure enough, they were very loose. I'm surprised that I didn't have more of an issue.
I'm glad that someone took the time and found & revived this old thread!
My other diesel: 2008 Bobcat S185.
CrescentGutter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #13 (permalink)

Bummer

I went to check the screws hoping that they were loose, but they were tight so I may have to do what BigRed CC Dually said to do.
Edge CS In Tow Mode
2nova2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

GEAR SELECTOR

I USED THIS METHOD TO TIGHTENT THE LEVER, BUT I STILL HAVE TO JIGGLE THE LEVER TO GET IT OUT OF PARK AND START IT IN NEUTRAL TO BE ABLE TO DRIVE IT.

HAS ANYONE ELSE COME ACROSS THIS PROBLEMZ?

Quote:
Hey Moooboy;

Thanks, Bill Miller.
CRARCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

missing bolt

yep on the money here too. but i am missing one of the torx bolts all together does anyone know the size of the torx bolts on the shifter bracket? thanks in advance to any help i can get!!! seems like i remember finding a bolt like that now but its been sooo long dont remember where i put it if i even kept it grrrrr
lmhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.