Gouge in engine block - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gouge in engine block

For some of you that have seen my previous post about my head gaskets, I now have a new problem. I just got my heads back from the machine shop so I called my dad to come help me put them on. We have a come-along that we have been using to take them in and out. Well, today while he was lowering the head and I was guiding it..... He pressed the button that let all of the slack out and the head came crashing down on the engine. The head hit the block by cylinder 1 and made an impression in the metal. (see pics)

When I put a light into the cylinder and used a straight edge I can see a little bit of light where the cut in the block is. By looking at the pics, does anyone know if the head gasket will seal this? Or am I screwed? I figured that the compression would leak out since it's on the metal compression ring by the piston. Would JB weld fill the void to seal it, or do I need to take the block out and have it resurfaced? Anyone with KNOWLEDGE on this please reply.

It's been a fun year already..geez
Attached Thumbnails
Gouge in engine block-2013-02-08_15.23.15.jpg   Gouge in engine block-2013-02-08_15.21.31.jpg  

2006 F250 4x4 6.utoh- 120k miles with developing problems. Soon to be running on waste veggi oil. Exhaust smells like money burning. Can't wait to start saving money on this one too.
BlueDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gouge in engine block

Not good IMO. I wouldn't use any filler material, and if you can "see" it, it's gonna leak.

Looks like your year just got a little worse, as a trip to the machine shop is what I figure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

you are going to have to take it back to the machine shop and see if they can plane it again and enough to get rid of it, otherwise it will leak.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

sorry to hear your bad luck. that sucks.
replaced injectors
new HPOP
new PCMx2 & idm

OTHER TRUCK
1976 F350 FB DUELLY
390 W/MANUAL TRANNY
2 WD 4BBL
tickedoff36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

BlueDiamond,

While refinishing the block may be the best bet, another option may be to go the o-ring or fire-ring route. Also, you'll need to plan on some different head gaskets regardless of the route you choose. You'll need some thicker gaskets if you get the deck surface refinished, or some gaskets that will accept the o-ring or fire-ring if you go that direction.

Hope it helps,
K.N.
3/94' F-250XL 4x4,PowerStroke Diesel power, DP-tuner flashed to MLE1, H.D ZF 5-Spd. w/SBC Con-O clutch, Std. cab, 3.55, Mobil 1 syn. in T-case, Castrol TranSynd in tranny, Chevron's DELO 400 & Fleetrite Anti-Foam Additive, Valvoline's Durablend 85w-140 in rear, LT265-75R-16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs, 365,000 miles, Tymar Intake, TS 6-pos chip, Banks 3" 409 Stainless Downpipe, S.D. 409 Stainless Cat Delete, Hidden Hitch, Stock
http://community.webshots.com/user/kn94psd
K.N.94PSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.N.94PSD View Post
BlueDiamond,

While refinishing the block may be the best bet, another option may be to go the o-ring or fire-ring route. Also, you'll need to plan on some different head gaskets regardless of the route you choose. You'll need some thicker gaskets if you get the deck surface refinished, or some gaskets that will accept the o-ring or fire-ring if you go that direction.

Hope it helps,
K.N.
Thank you all for your reply's. Just to clear it up. The heads were just resurfaced, not the block. So if I resurface the block (K.N) thats when you would suggest thicker gaskets? Also, what is o-ring or fire-ring mean. Im not familiar with that.

Thanks guys

2006 F250 4x4 6.utoh- 120k miles with developing problems. Soon to be running on waste veggi oil. Exhaust smells like money burning. Can't wait to start saving money on this one too.
BlueDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

BlueDiamond,

When you remove material from the mating surfaces of the block or heads during resurfacing, your compression will increase and your clearances will decrease. The thicker head gaskets compensate for this issue. You'll want to do some additional research on o-rings and fire-rings and talk with some very experienced diesel engine machine shops that are familiar with the procedures. Basically, a concentric groove is cut into the block or heads (in this case your block would get the groove) and a metal ring is placed in the groove. With an o-ring set-up, you'd use non-modified gaskets, while a fire-ring set-up requires the crush-ring to be removed from the head gasket. In general, an o-ring set-up is typically preferred for the more mildly built engines and those that see daily driver duty. Fire-rings are commonly used in the most extreme engine builds, and can have longevity issues.

Hope it helps,
K.N.
3/94' F-250XL 4x4,PowerStroke Diesel power, DP-tuner flashed to MLE1, H.D ZF 5-Spd. w/SBC Con-O clutch, Std. cab, 3.55, Mobil 1 syn. in T-case, Castrol TranSynd in tranny, Chevron's DELO 400 & Fleetrite Anti-Foam Additive, Valvoline's Durablend 85w-140 in rear, LT265-75R-16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs, 365,000 miles, Tymar Intake, TS 6-pos chip, Banks 3" 409 Stainless Downpipe, S.D. 409 Stainless Cat Delete, Hidden Hitch, Stock
http://community.webshots.com/user/kn94psd
K.N.94PSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.