The Diesel Stop banner

Hard e4od problem

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  sully92 
#1 ·
hello new here and I have a 97 f350 7.3 auto and love the thing hate the transmission.

just fully rebuilt it about 3000 km ago and worked great at first but had a mlp sensor go bad after abit and that's around when it stopped shifting into 3rd gear.

it will shift to 3Rd if I bring it down to 2nd then drive and always goes into overdrive no problem. also if I am towing a trailer with a truck on it, it decides to work perfect every gear no problem.

I just pulled the pan and cleaned the valves hoping it would help and no luck

it seems to work great other then not automatically shifting to 3rd so would love some input from people that have worked on these transmissions.

#4 ·
First gear: SS1 on, SS2 off
Second gear: Both on
Third gear: SS1 off, SS2 on
Fourth gear: Both off

So you can see both solenoids have to operate to get each of the four gears. If one solenoid doesn't work you lose two gears, not one. So I think we can rule out a solenoid issue as the cause.

I suspect a sticky 2-3 shift valve or a problem inside the direct clutch.

#5 ·
would low pressure cause it? also it has a sonnax kit in it with the direct clutch accumulator regulator valve.
and I'll clean the valve Mabey tomorrow

thanks a lot for your help I'm still really new at automatics and this one wasn't to fun for a first

#6 ·
would low pressure cause it?
Probably not. If you had low pressure you would have more symptoms than that. You could put a pressure gauge in the test port and see what pressures you have at idle and at stall speed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.