Help! Gelled fuel - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help! Gelled fuel

I believe that the fuel in the truck has gelled and now the truck won't start. I had added anti-gel and everything was fine down to about 20F, but we had a couple of days of below zero temps and now the truck is a no-go.

Here's the basics:

Truck cranks fine, just won't fire up.
I've added Diesel 911 to both the tank and the fuel filter bowl.
Truck has sat with Diesel 911 in it for 2 days
Last two days temps reached the low 40's
I have been running the engine heater for a few hours each day
Drained the fuel bowl and changed the filter.

Now when I try to crank it, the fuel bowl won't even fill. (Doesn't matter which tank, front or rear, I try to use.)

Is there another common inline filter that I am missing?
Where could the problem be?

Additional notes: The diesel I buy is supposed to be winterized, but I don't trust them, so I always add antigel from diesel power services.

Also I believe that many of the local stations maybe running 10% biodiesel as I have seen several stations suddenly add HANDWRITTEN signs stating 10% Biodiesel. I've heard rumors that diesel additives and biodiesel should not mix and can gel. So I'm worried I picked up some biodiesel unknowingly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have to report for duty in one week and really need my truck to start.

97 F250HD crew cab 4X4 5spd XLT, LUK clutch and Flywheel
webbstock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Addtional info

I only bought the small (32 oz) bottle of diesel 911 which I added to about 10-12 gallons of fuel (minus the 4 ozs that went in the filter.

Should I try adding more 911 to the tank??

Old 01-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do you have fuel coming out at the filter?

I'm guesing it's your lines. There was a guy in Iowa that tried to unfreeze his lines by starting a fire underneath. You can guess how that worked out for him. You can do that or try to get it inside or otherwise warm. It should be well above freezing there today.
mgraveman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply

No fuel getting to the filter. So I'm guessing the lines

I've pushed it into the garage and have turned on a heater in there . I'll also try using a hairdryer on the lines to warm them up.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 01-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would be willing to bet a penny its no gelled. It doesn't happen very often but I your fuel pump may have gone out. Generally the fuel pump just starts to leak and they still pump fuel but it has happened a few times. Leave the lid off the filter housing and with a blow gun and rap cover the filler neck and try to push fuel up to the filter housing. if it goes you need a fuel pump.
tjbeggs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbstock View Post
I'll also try using a hairdryer on the lines to warm them up.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Yeah, a heat gun. Concentrate on the two steel lines that run from the tank switching valve forward.

For an extreme gelling issue you could disconnect the tiny fuel hose that's at the top of the steel line (of course this is the supply line not the return) that connects to the fuel pump then after you have applied heat to the tube, put compressed air down the filler neck of the tank that the switch is on. You'll need a rag to create a seal. The air will blow out anything in the line. To avoid a diesel mess in the engine bay, attach a hose to the steel line and have it drop into a bucket.

hheynow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok

I will test and see if the pump is bad. If it is, is there any trick to pulling the old pump and not draining the tanks out the disconnected hoses?

Old 01-29-2008, 06:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Your fuel is NOT gelled. At the temps you sited, you will have NO problems & you state that you added anti gell besides.
Check your fuel pump and don't waste your money on additives in the future.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbstock View Post
Ok

I will test and see if the pump is bad. If it is, is there any trick to pulling the old pump and not draining the tanks out the disconnected hoses?
The fuel pump (lift pump) sits in the valley right behind the fuel filter canister. You don't need to drain the tanks. If you want an excellent article by Sam Miller on how to replace the fuel pump just send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a copy.

Griz
02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug, Riffraff FRx Kit. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster & inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.
Griz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks guys,

I stumbled across the Miller article last night and it is great. So I am giving the pump a shot tonight.

One question, how likely is the push rod to fall back down the engine? One site mentioned loosening the pump (but leaving the bolts still in) and crank the engine until the cam is "up" thereby minimizing the chance of dropping the push rod. Good idea or no?

Old 01-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Yeah most likely it's not gelled, however i did think of one solution if it were gelled fuel lines. You could wrap them with an electric pipe heater, just make sure it's not touching anything that would melt. Easy Heat Electric Water Pipe Freeze Protection Cable. Someone actually started a fire under their truck, ROFLMMFAO.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Good idea or no?
Yes...........
AERC member (www.aerc.org)
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.