HELP! How do you install the clutch slave cylinder on a F350? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2005, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP! How do you install the clutch slave cylinder on a F350?

There's got to be some trick, I don't have the strength to compress the slave cylinder spring and get it into position. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2005, 06:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Re: HELP! How do you install the clutch slave cylinder on a F350?

I just did mine after my LUK and I rember it being kind of tricky but I just pushed the rod in and twisted some and it went in, didnt seem right when I was doing, too much force but its working fine. Do you have the clutch road under the dash disconnected?
Tarheelstroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2005, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'll try disconnecting rod under dash but I don't understand how that could be the problem since it is a hydraulic connection I would think that the fluid would be free to flow back into the reservoir? At this point I'll try anything though.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 07-08-2005, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

If it is a new slave cyl, leave the retainer band on the slave until you install it and then pull the retainer band off.

The retainer I am talking about comes on all new ones so that the plunger stays put until you install it. It's like a strap over the plunger that fits into the notch on either side.

Hope this helps.

66' Bronco, roller SEFI 351W,Explorer Serpentine,C6, Atlas, D60's, Detroit/ARB, OBA, 4-link fornt and rear, fully tubed and narrowed, 110" wb, 42's
2005 Dodge Dually CC 4x4, Cummins,6-spd, Leveling kit, BHAF, guages, CFM+, Arson CP3, Smarty TNT, 97K
tatipton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2005, 08:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

It's the old slave so there's no band. I took it off to help bleed the new master cylinder. I thought about some kind of band to hold it in but haven't come up with anything yet.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Pop the master cylinder rod eye off the pin and then push the slave cylinder in. It does not take much effort if nothing is binding the system. If there is a bind, you need to isolate where the bind is and correct it.

Bill

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.
Graduate, UA, Mech. Eng.
arizonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2005, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

I was interrupted in my previous reply, so now I have time to finish.

All new master cylinders are not alike. The problem masters seem to have a longer rod than the original master cylinder. One way that I have seen to cure this problem, and I did it on mine, is to space the new master away from the firewall. The dimensions required seem to vary, but .200" should work, or 3/16" if you don't have a mike handy. One member used 1/4" plate and got it to work.

There is a plate that is glued to the fire wall with a butyl compound that can be removed. Washers can then be glued down and the plate set over the washers. Use some RTV to fill the gap and your firewall won't leak.

The risk of not having the spacing correct on the new master cylinder rod eye is to constantly have a preload on the clutch release, just like riding the clutch pedal, and having the clutch slip when under a load. Several member have burned up their new Luk or SBC within a very short time of installation.

Bill

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.
Graduate, UA, Mech. Eng.
arizonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2005, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks all, I removed the link from the pedal and was able to pop it back in no sweat. I think I have the right master as the link eye easily slips over the pedal stud. BTW, I also installed the heim joint that is sold on ebay (I know I got ripped off) but I'm tired of the stupid plastic bushings. If anyone decides to get the heim from ebay, beware the heim bottoms on the clutch switch rather than the pedal bottoming on the bumper so I had to do some mods to the switch which I didn't really like but it seems to work fine and the pedal has a nice smooth feel to it now.

Jim
Old 07-09-2005, 10:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

What would be the symptoms of the bad clutch master, just put a new one from advance auto and drove it some on the old clutch and have been using it for about 350 miles on my LUK with no prob.
Tarheelstroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2005, 07:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

I had some oil at the firewall.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.