How long will the water pump last when leaking? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How long will the water pump last when leaking?

I found my leak, the wp is leaking via the weep hole. How long will it last me before it goes out? I would like to drive 50 or so miles before I replace it.
mrvmax1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
0-50 miles

I have seen wp's weep for months and not fail, I have seen some fail without weeping. I don't believe any HUMAN can make that prediction. As long as the bearings don't fail, then I would venture to say that the seal has failed and if it is "fresh" it will probably make 50 miles, just make sure that you don't heat things up with extra load (extra pressure on cooling system)..say your (mods would delete)..cross your fingers and roll!!!! don't forget a couple of gallons of distilled water.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ok so if the wp leaks from the weep hole (mine is only in the winter) what causes this? bad parts or just normal?
1996 F-350,CC,LB, Rebuilt Tranny,Billet Trq conv,shift kit, AFE Stage 2 intake, 3' dp, 4''Diamondeye exh with flow through muffler, 35"BFG's,no lift,new engine wiring harness,new fuel heater(dealer fixed due to a short before I found this site,knowing what I know now I would have just unplugged it),new glow plugs at about 145,000 mi,balljoints,bearings,rotors,all new steering linkage,GPR,powersteering pump,steering wheel bearings,IDM mod,rebuilt turbo and gutted EBPV and pedestal,just over 175,000 mi,
Big Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
leaking from the "weep hole" is usually caused by the bearing seal going bad. Since the water pump "rotates" the shaft has to go from the "wet" side to the "dry" (pulley) side. There is a seal on the shaft. think of it like a front main seal. Factors for failure include normal wear and tear, temp extremes, too much tension on drive belt, poor materials during assembly, bearings siezed up (normally causes catastrophic failure). I am sure there are other causes but these are the ones I have run into
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks for the info. it looks like a new wp is in the near future
1996 F-350,CC,LB, Rebuilt Tranny,Billet Trq conv,shift kit, AFE Stage 2 intake, 3' dp, 4''Diamondeye exh with flow through muffler, 35"BFG's,no lift,new engine wiring harness,new fuel heater(dealer fixed due to a short before I found this site,knowing what I know now I would have just unplugged it),new glow plugs at about 145,000 mi,balljoints,bearings,rotors,all new steering linkage,GPR,powersteering pump,steering wheel bearings,IDM mod,rebuilt turbo and gutted EBPV and pedestal,just over 175,000 mi,
Big Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvmax1 View Post
I found my leak, the wp is leaking via the weep hole. How long will it last me before it goes out? I would like to drive 50 or so miles before I replace it.
I went 2 or 3 mos before I changed mine ,,only leaked when not running ....
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)
Mine started leaking in the middle of a vacation. I finished the 3000+ miles and went another two months before I found a cheap one on e-bay.
1996 F-250 extended cab long box five speed. Home made Tymar, 203 Stat, 60 gal in bed fuel cell, 315/75's, no muffler, ebpv welded open 3" to 3" DP, Babies. 290K, still chugging, and still smoking when cold.

UPDATED 1/1/09 Replace so far. 1 LUK flywheel+clutch, 2 thermostats, 2 set of brakes, 1 set of calipers, 5 CPS, 3 sets of tires, 2 Transfer pumps, 1 Injector modual, 1 Computer, 2 Alt, 2 sets of batteries, 1 Water pump, 6 Belts, 1 PS hose, 2 Sets ball joints, 2 set u-joints, 2 carrier bearing, 2 Speed sensors, 1 oil pres sender, 1 temp sender, 4 sets of e-break cables, 1 front fuel tank, 2 rear fuel tanks, 2 set of glow plugs, 7 Glow plug relays, Oil galley o-rings, Turbo pedistal o-rings, EBPV o-rings, 3 sets of Injector O-rings, 1 Vac-pump, 1 new carpet, 1 total paint job.Total $$$ in repairs v/s miles driven = 4.6 cents per mile. Add fuel to that it jumps to 16.5 cents per mile over the life of the truck.
MarkEkberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.