intermittant low boost - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
intermittant low boost

I am usually getting low boost, and when the rpm drops from a shift, the boost drops to the point there is no power. Anyone have an idea what the cause could be?
1997 7.3
66CLEVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66CLEVE View Post
I am usually getting low boost, and when the rpm drops from a shift, the boost drops to the point there is no power. Anyone have an idea what the cause could be?
1997 7.3
It is normal for boost to drop down when you shift and your RPM's fall. What kind of boost are you seeing?
Like us on Facebook!
828-221-0076 ext.804
justin@dp-tuner.com
Justin@DP-Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

it drops from around 6 to 3, so it's low to begin with, but like I said it's erratic; some days it works fine
Old 02-15-2013, 03:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

What kind of boost gauge are you using?
Justin@DP-Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

it's just a mechanical pressure/vacuum gage. It acts like the accellerator pedal is barely depressed, when in reality. I have it nearly to the floor, but other times it's ok
Old 02-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Mine has the same issue. At first I was thinking it was injectors (HPOP or actual injector issues) but now I'm not so sure. I haven't had time to test my valve cover harness connections or the injectors yet. But I have little boost at low rpm's - but as my rpm's increase - so does the boost. Anybody have any ideas as to what could cause this? Would poor fuel delivery cause it to "seem" like poor boost pressure?
mr.sinical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

intermittant low boost

Does the truck feel sluggish? I was having this type of issue but worse turned out it was my EBPV being stuck it welded it self some how, pulled the turbo removed it and its good to go

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

91 Mustang GT, 306 Custom Build By Self, With A Lot Of Crap And A Vortech S-Trim But Who Wants To Hear About This Its A Diesel Site!!
JDawg965 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

I warmed my engine up to running temp - then unplugged the EBPV in the open position - I read on here that this would stop it from closing at all. Mine used to try and stay closed until the motor got up to 170 degrees - I got tired of fighting it until it reached regular operating temp.
It used to HISS loudly when it was working - now there is no hiss at all - ever - just no boost until 1700 or more rpm's.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

intermittant low boost

I did the same thing unplugged it and I got no change, when I pulled the valve off some how it welded it self shut I had to hit it with a hammer and bar several times to get it to brake open, sure enough that fixed a lot of issues with my drivability also the IPR could be an issue

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

91 Mustang GT, 306 Custom Build By Self, With A Lot Of Crap And A Vortech S-Trim But Who Wants To Hear About This Its A Diesel Site!!
JDawg965 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

Mine shows no codes - and unless it's below 30 degrees outside (and I don't plug her in) she starts right up every time. I don't hear the EBPV hissing at all - but I will check it to see if maybe it is stuck partially closed or is not moving freely. I thought that if my EPBV was holding back - my pyro gauge would run hot - but it stays at normal temps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.