Location of Clutch Safety (Neutral Safety) Switch? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2006, 06:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Location of Clutch Safety (Neutral Safety) Switch?

My 97 F350 (5 speed) will not start with the key. I have power at the steering column when turning the key to the start position. I haven't checked the same wire at the solenoid, but the vehicle will start shorting across the posts (smaller and right large posts). I may have damaged the ignition switch while trying to turn the key with the steering wheel locked, but I think it is more likely the clutch safety switch. Problem is that I cannot locate it. I have looked all round the firewall inside and out, as well as the top of the clutch pedal. All I can see around the pedal is the pedal return spring. Nothing else from there up aside from the pivot mount. If anyone has a diagram or link to a pic of the switch and it's location, it would sure help me out. Thanks!
'97 F350 CrewCab, DRW, 5 spd tranny, 4.10 gears, 180,xxx miles, Retro-fit Intercooler, DIY Open Air Intake, Pedal Mod, BDP Tranny Savers, Diesel Innovations 6 Position Chip, LUK Clutch/Flywheel SMFW Upgrade. Member: Georgia Bounty Runners 4Wheel Drive Club in Atlanta, GA. Pulling Trail Modified Cherokee with Lance 8.5 ft Truck Camper in the bed.
rbarton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2006, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
Re: Location of Clutch Safety (Neutral Safety) Switch?

Look at the rod that goes from the clutch pedal through the firewall into the clutch master cylinder.
The switch is right there, by the firewall. It might have popped loose or it could be just plain dirty.

Hope this helps.
Lou
Old 06-19-2006, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

Thank you, Sir!! Your tip led me to the right place. The CSS was indeed loose and there was a piece of plastic we found behind the floor mat that became very clear as to what it was once I found the switch. It was a clip that retained the switch around the pedal. I was looking for a little switch or plug similar to that on the brake. While looking for where the rod went through the firewall, I found the red/blue wire that feeds to the switch and followed it over. No wonder I couldn't find it, I never thought to look above the accelerator pedal! Not used to an electronic accelerator setup! Anyway, you pointed me in the right direction and I very much appreciate it, to say the least! It was a real pain in the backside to get back on the shaft, but I finally got the clip on the switch and the truck started right up. Thanks a million!
'97 F350 CrewCab, DRW, 5 spd tranny, 4.10 gears, 180,xxx miles, Retro-fit Intercooler, DIY Open Air Intake, Pedal Mod, BDP Tranny Savers, Diesel Innovations 6 Position Chip, LUK Clutch/Flywheel SMFW Upgrade. Member: Georgia Bounty Runners 4Wheel Drive Club in Atlanta, GA. Pulling Trail Modified Cherokee with Lance 8.5 ft Truck Camper in the bed.
rbarton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2006, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (38)

I hotwired my uncle's [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
gregrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2006, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

Glad you found and fixed it. That's what we're here for!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

Lou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.