Multifunction switch - REPAIR it don't replace it!!!! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2006, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Multifunction switch - REPAIR it don't replace it!!!!

Recently I lost all turn signals and hazards. Se my post here: http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthrea...rue#Post2867365

So the concensus was the multifunction switch was bad. So last night I removed it and was planning on going to Napa today to buy a new one ($60). But I still couldn't bring myself to beleive that it could be bad. The truck only has 95,000 miles and what really is there to break inside?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

Since I had already planned on buying a new one, I figured I'd take mine apart - what did I have to lose? Upon disassembly, everything looked fine, nothing broken. However the copper connections were discolored and just slightly corroded. So I cleaned off all the dielectric grease (it's everywhere inside there) and rubbed all of the copper connections with steel wool until they were all bright and shiny copper. I dissembled everything, which is fairly self explanatory once your into it. Cleaned them all up, sprayed it down with contact cleaner and blew it all out with an air hose to remove all the filings, etc... Slathered everything with dielectric grease and reassembled it. It's kind of a little puzzle getting it all back together, so pay attention while disassembling. Plugged it back in and wha - la!!! Everything works great!!! Turn signals and hazards work flawlessly!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

I'm so excited!! Partly because I saved $60, but mainly because I figured something out that everybody just dismisses as bad and buys a new one. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] So don't throw yours out, just take it apart and clean it up. Unless you really want to part with $60, and in that case, just send it to me and I'll fix it and take your $60!!! The only downside to the whole thing is I don't get a new red hazard button to replace my faded one. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
1996 F350 XL, PSD, CC, LB, SRW, Green/White, 4x4, 4L10, ZF5, LUK clutch & flywheel, 295/75/16 BFG AT on 16 x 8 Centerlines, Bill's Race chip, gutted EBPV, Ceramic coated Hypermax downpipe, Tymar 4" exhaust w/Donaldson muffler, Tymar Intake, Tymar boost pop-off valve, Tymar HX hose, Tymar coolant filter, JD Coolant eye, AC & fuel tank mods, Autometer Pyrometer & Boost gauges in pillar pod, Warn Premium hubs, Powerslot rotors, Smittybilt nerfbars, add-a-leaf & poly bushings, Bilstein shocks, Drawtite front receiver, Optima red tops, 130W Stainless KC Daylighters, stainless Ventshades, Eclipse CD player, MB Quart speakers, JL sub, Phoenix Gold amps, Viper alarm, Cobra CB, 2001 Honda CR250, 400EX & ATC 70 in the bed, not much more to come...
1996CC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2006, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (203)
Re: Multifunction switch - REPAIR it don't replace it!!!!

1996CC -- Thanks for the good advice!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If it's any consolation, the new hazard/flasher buttons are all black. No more red. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Cheers from Orlando, FL! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Dave
1996 F-350 XLT CC SRW 4x4 BTS-E4OD●4L10●Tyrant Diesel chip●Hypermax H2E, intercooler, exhaust●TE-T500●7.3L Regulated Return Fuel System●215 amp generator●International water pump●Hydro-Boost●APCM 250,000 happy miles
DZLJIM 3:16
~~NTxPSA - Hold my beer and watch this.~~
DaveBey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2006, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Black huh? That's weird. I guess they won't fade as bad. The button is easy to swap out if you still have a red one around.
1996 F350 XL, PSD, CC, LB, SRW, Green/White, 4x4, 4L10, ZF5, LUK clutch & flywheel, 295/75/16 BFG AT on 16 x 8 Centerlines, Bill's Race chip, gutted EBPV, Ceramic coated Hypermax downpipe, Tymar 4" exhaust w/Donaldson muffler, Tymar Intake, Tymar boost pop-off valve, Tymar HX hose, Tymar coolant filter, JD Coolant eye, AC & fuel tank mods, Autometer Pyrometer & Boost gauges in pillar pod, Warn Premium hubs, Powerslot rotors, Smittybilt nerfbars, add-a-leaf & poly bushings, Bilstein shocks, Drawtite front receiver, Optima red tops, 130W Stainless KC Daylighters, stainless Ventshades, Eclipse CD player, MB Quart speakers, JL sub, Phoenix Gold amps, Viper alarm, Cobra CB, 2001 Honda CR250, 400EX & ATC 70 in the bed, not much more to come...
Old 05-10-2006, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

Had mine apart to try & fix it but... sometimes they just burn up & there is NO fix.
Glad to hear your's worked out.
I think I paid less then $60 at AutoZone, you might try them next time.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Autozone quoted me something like $58.xx or $59.xx. Napa actually quoted $62.xx, but when they see me (which is a lot) they give me 5% off.

What burned up? There are just copper contact in there? I could see the wires failing in the arm, or maybe a spring or plastic piece failing, but other than that???

In edit: I see you're over 350,000 miles. I guess at that level, anything could go wrong!!!
Old 05-11-2006, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

How long did it take once it was out?
Mark E. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2006, 12:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Probably 30 minutes. The whole thing, from start to complete finish was about 1 1/2 hours and I was interupted several times and was taking my time (And I also modified the thing on the column that trips the signals off, in that time). And installing it was in the dark with a trouble light.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

Well done 1996CC. Just encountered your post while doing a search. I'd not read it earlier.

I ran the same repair on my 1995 when it had about 190K miles so my switch had seen about twice as much wear as yours. I didn't have more dielectric grease handy so I just tried to redistribute what was already within the switch. About 10,000 miles later it started giving the same symptoms. My turn signals and washer speeds never gave any trouble. Only the headlights failed to come on. When others duplicate your work I urge them to do a better job than I did on my first effort. Replace that dielectric grease.
John
Lightest 1995 Standard Cab PowerStroke F-250 with factory "Camper Package," no AC, 5-speed, Conklin ParaSynthetic Oil with MolyLube, oversized 10-micron filter, Randy's Ring & Pinion aftermarket 3.07 ratio running in Royal Purple, Stanadyne always in fuel, tires @ 100 psi, nearly zero friction brake adjustments, 203 degree thermostat enables higher engine efficiency than 195 degree units, front end precisely aligned with minimal toe-in to reduce friction, lowest rolling friction F-250 I've seen. 2-axle trailer tires run 110 psi generating less rolling friction than lower pressure tires. Infrequently carried slide-in camper is an older all-hard-side Siera pop-up. Hard sides seem more secure than canvas connected pop-ups when up and never have canvas mold problems. Pop-ups push less wind than fixed height slide-ins.
LoveLearn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2006, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

I had a newer F150 come in with a similar problem to yours, no turn signals or wiper functions, but the emergencies still worked.

When I pulled the column covers apart, I found that the plastic retaining tabs for the harness connector to the switch assembly had broken off.

What I am getting at is Ford sells a harness connector kit that is the connector and a short splice-in harness. I do not like the idea of splicing into factory harnesses, so I de-pinned the old connector, and pinned in the new connector from the repair kit!

Just throwing that out if you see that happen, there is a way to fix it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

Dave

Mods: Swamps tunes, Swamps 275/226's, a Gen3, a BTS, Comps, Crowers and H11's up top, S465/TN II mount kit, Custom Comp. fuel system, and an IC.

My Pictures
smokyred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2006, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Nit

My Photos: (3)

sometimes you get lucky [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] excellent, the part is $140 up here, so that's an entire days' cheque. I did try to fix mine but it was not that simple after 200+k miles it was toast. What normally happens is the headlight part burns out as all the power for the headlights runs thru that switch. Thsi is why some people have run relays instead.
Sold to JCart , 1997 F250 FireTruck Red,CC SB,auto( Presicion TC, HD-2Tugger),5" exhaust, Swamp 140cc injectors, TWildman 4-pos chip,open air cleaner, I/C w Banks intake, ,AIC,dual electric fans,Sky mfg RSK w/ D60w/ARB locker,she's well taken care of now pictures
2004 Dodge 3500 twin turbo 525hp rocket
Nit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2006, 01:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

1996CC -- tell us more about modifying the turn signal cancel thingy. I absolutely hate the way this works now. I'm constantly flipping the signal back on after it gets cancelled by some minor steering wheel movement.

Cheers,
Gone but not forgotten: '96 2WD XLT CC Dually, 5-speed, Luk clutch and SMFW, Red, 3.55 gears, 4-position Wildman chip, DP Downpipe, Tymar intake, HPX hose, and 4" cat-back exhaust, gutted EBPV, Transfer Flow 74 gallon in-bed tank, EGT/Boost/water temp gauges.
AdmRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2006, 05:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

i just replaced mine, 60.00 at the dealer and they were cheaper than the local auto parts store, not worth it to me for that amount to try and fix it, but thanks for the tip om the fix
97 f350 cc 4x4, srw ,tde1, 4.10 gears,head studs w/ factory gaskets' bts tranny mobil 1 synthetic diesel site full pull injectors h2 turbo, 02 hpop ,twin tymar intake ,beddins custom fuel system ,custom ladder bars,turbo life saver,dead kitty, ,dp tuner 4 position chip,hypermax innercooler,oil filler extension,,maghytec pan,4inch exaust w/ 4" stacks, aux tranny filter,dual aux tranny coolers, autometer a-pillar 3gauge,295 nitto at's,4inch lift,ranchhand bumpers front&rear

If you are reading this, THANK a teacher. If you are reading this in ENGLISH, THANK a soldier!!!
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2006, 06:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

[ QUOTE ]
1996CC -- tell us more about modifying the turn signal cancel thingy. I absolutely hate the way this works now. I'm constantly flipping the signal back on after it gets cancelled by some minor steering wheel movement.

Cheers,

[/ QUOTE ]Yes....Do tell.....
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2006, 07:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers,

[/ QUOTE ]

Its actually very simple. I did the same thing to mine. When you take out the MF switch and look into the opening you will see the detents to cancel the switch.

The detents are basically a plus(+) shaped piece of plasitc with a hole in it which slides over the steering shaft.

Make sure the wheel is STRAIGHT so you cut off the correct detents. When you remove the MF switch you will see where the single detent on the switch rides between the two closest detents of the (+) piece. Cut off those two detents.

Its pretty self explanatory once you pull the MF switch out.

Since the (+) piece is made out of plastic, all you need is a utility knife to cut off the detents.
1995 F350 PSD,CC,LB,E4OD,4WDw4:10LS
IDM Corrosion
Underdash Gauge Pod
Front Tow Hooks
STurbo90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2006, 12:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Will the turn signal still self cancel after this mod?
Gone but not forgotten: '96 2WD XLT CC Dually, 5-speed, Luk clutch and SMFW, Red, 3.55 gears, 4-position Wildman chip, DP Downpipe, Tymar intake, HPX hose, and 4" cat-back exhaust, gutted EBPV, Transfer Flow 74 gallon in-bed tank, EGT/Boost/water temp gauges.
AdmRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.