My E40D transmission started shifting unevenly and the "off" light is flashing - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My E40D transmission started shifting unevenly and the "off" light is flashing

It went from perfect shifts every time to rough and uneven and from soft and smooth to pretty hard shifts and the flashing on and off continually of the "off" overdrive light. -- Tell me it's a sensor. Please.

1996 7.3L E350 Club Van.
midwestconnection is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
It's a sensor.

Really, there is no way to know that without some diagnostics. That starts with having the codes read. Without knowing the stored code NOBODY knows why the light is flashing or what's wrong.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 12:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
It's a sensor.

Really, there is no way to know that without some diagnostics. That starts with having the codes read. Without knowing the stored code NOBODY knows why the light is flashing or what's wrong.
OK, I will try to find a code reader or get it read. Thanks
Old 11-04-2009, 07:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

I ordered the Autoenginuity 2 with the Ford upgrade this morning, it will be here in a few days.

Until it gets here, how much chance is there that the Automatic Transmission Speed Control Sensor is my problem?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
with me it was my torque converter when it flashed on and off. And then that eventually lead to the transmission blowing apart internally going down a major highway in traffic.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestconnection View Post
Until it gets here, how much chance is there that the Automatic Transmission Speed Control Sensor is my problem?
I don't know what that is. I've never heard of it.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

trans trouble

ive got a 2001 crew cab 4x4 bought it new and around 75,000 it did the same thing. I had to have it rebuilt but $1500!!! but good news ive got 255,00 on it now without a prob!
txguy78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think I will shoot myself!
Old 11-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
It probably is the VSS which will throw a PO500 code. I changed my sensor and the connector . It still flips out now and then. I need to replace the wires now since there is a connection /connectivity issue. When I turn left hard sometimes it will go off. Spring Time I will deal with it. The sensor is in the rear end on Top. The connector I got from Ford. Good Luck
95 E350 PSD HD Cargo , BB shim , E4OD , B&M aluminium Trans pan , Twin HD coolers , Cat sleeps with the fishes , 3:55 D60FF, EBPV Delete , DP flashed 60 Tow , 140 V idm , Autometer Triple pod , Bridgestone /Hankook
1977 F350 Dually Dump , 460 , 429 POLICE heads , 4:56 D70FF, Edelbrock Intake , Holley 850 , MSD IGN , Custom C-6 Trans , Dual Exhausts , Bridgestone
blageurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blageurt View Post
It probably is the VSS which will throw a PO500 code. I changed my sensor and the connector . It still flips out now and then. I need to replace the wires now since there is a connection /connectivity issue. When I turn left hard sometimes it will go off. Spring Time I will deal with it. The sensor is in the rear end on Top. The connector I got from Ford. Good Luck
I sure hope your right. I bought that sensor at Ford for $30 including Tax. My code reader should be here tomorrow, I'm waiting to read the code and hoping it says the PO500 your describing. I'll look at the connector and the wires too. Thanks

I'm not worried about the $30, I'm just hoping that it fixes the problem.

Largely, hoping!
Old 11-06-2009, 05:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

disconnect both batteries, then connect them, i gots over 200,000 miles on my `97.
mine said trans slip? it has done it 2 times in about a year. going in next week for a trans rebuild. its still running fine, i just don`t wanna get stuck out somewhere....
scootdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootdog View Post
disconnect both batteries, then connect them, i gots over 200,000 miles on my `97.
mine said trans slip? it has done it 2 times in about a year. going in next week for a trans rebuild. its still running fine, i just don`t wanna get stuck out somewhere....
If you don't know about that $27 sensor that is bolted onto the rear end and that a five year old could change in ten minutes you might want to consider it. The shop will of course rebuild the transmission for you and charge you a few thousand dollars and not tell you nothing about that sensor. -- 200,000 miles is nothing unless you pull heavy.

Thanks for the battery tip. I will try that.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Fixed, I think!

I disconnected the battery and put in the VSS Sensor that I call the Automatic Transmission Speed Control Sensor, the one on the rear end.
$27.50 plus tax, a fifteen minute fix.

Part# F85Z-9E731-AB

My van is a 1996 E350 7.3l E40D

It's fixed, the "OFF" light is no longer flashing and on, the light is no longer on and it shifts good again but now my speedometer jumps all over the place when I get to around 55 miles per hour. It didn't do that before.

I hope it's OK. My code reader should be here any day. I got to learn how to use it. I got the Ford software for the $149.

I got the code reader for $100 plus $12 shipping, it's Palm and USB for a computer and serial I think. It looks to be the same one the company is selling for $259 or $199 on eBay.
Bumper to bumper, Full Synthetic!!! Rotella T 5-40(7.3L) -- Mobil 1 Mercon V(E40D) -- Amsoil Extreme 75-90(Danas 60) -- Detroit Lakes, Minnesota -- "Boating has always been a rich mans hobby". -- 1996 E350 XLT Club Wagon 15 Passenger Van. -- Purchased 10-21-2009 for $700 cash with 620,000 miles on it! -- It's mint and beautiful! -- I love it! -- I am 64 years old and a professional mechanic and truck driver for over 45 years. --I am now a rich man driving a $50,000 prime time Ford that gets 21 MPG(HWY) & 16 MPG(Town).
Old 11-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You may need to look a little closer at the wiring to the VSS ( vehicle speed sensor) on the axle, when mine did that (speedo bouncing) , it was the wiring ...
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by action4478 View Post
You may need to look a little closer at the wiring to the VSS ( vehicle speed sensor) on the axle, when mine did that (speedo bouncing) , it was the wiring ...
Is there a chance it will ruin my transmission. The bouncing around speedometer I could live with, it's the fear of damage because of a faulty signal that scares me. It seems to be better, I didn't know how to deprogram the computer after I put the part on, I just unhooked the battery for about twenty minutes by taking the positive cables off both batteries. Could that be it? The wiring I can replace if I need too. Anything to not hurt the transmission. It's shifting smooth as silk again.
Bumper to bumper, Full Synthetic!!! Rotella T 5-40(7.3L) -- Mobil 1 Mercon V(E40D) -- Amsoil Extreme 75-90(Danas 60) -- Detroit Lakes, Minnesota -- "Boating has always been a rich mans hobby". -- 1996 E350 XLT Club Wagon 15 Passenger Van. -- Purchased 10-21-2009 for $700 cash with 620,000 miles on it! -- It's mint and beautiful! -- I love it! -- I am 64 years old and a professional mechanic and truck driver for over 45 years. --I am now a rich man driving a $50,000 prime time Ford that gets 21 MPG(HWY) & 16 MPG(Town).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.