Need help quickly, broke the radiator overflow nipple off..... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2005, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help quickly, broke the radiator overflow nipple off.....

I was being dumb and was messing around underneath the hood a put a little too much weight on the radiator overflow line going to the coolant tank. Well low and behold, I broke the plastic nipple that comes out of the radiator to hook the line too. Will it get me to work in the morning and how much coolant will I loose if any? Is this thing repairable? Any cheap ideas on how to repair this permanently?

Thanks for the help

Sold, but missed dearly: 1995 F-250 7.3 standard cab 4x4 with lots of dents. Just a mean wood hauling machine!
brylande is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2005, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Need help quickly, broke the radiator overflow nipple off.....

a radiator shop should be able to replace just one of the tanks, we usually replace them for $85 out of the truck.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

Some have used various methods of tapping the hole, installing brass nipple, and JB welding in place. Search the archives, this has been covered frequently.
1996 F350 XL, PSD, CC, LB, SRW, Green/White, 4x4, 4L10, ZF5, LUK clutch & flywheel, 295/75/16 BFG AT on 16 x 8 Centerlines, Bill's Race chip, gutted EBPV, Ceramic coated Hypermax downpipe, Tymar 4" exhaust w/Donaldson muffler, Tymar Intake, Tymar boost pop-off valve, Tymar HX hose, Tymar coolant filter, JD Coolant eye, AC & fuel tank mods, Autometer Pyrometer & Boost gauges in pillar pod, Warn Premium hubs, Powerslot rotors, Smittybilt nerfbars, add-a-leaf & poly bushings, Bilstein shocks, Drawtite front receiver, Optima red tops, 130W Stainless KC Daylighters, stainless Ventshades, Eclipse CD player, MB Quart speakers, JL sub, Phoenix Gold amps, Viper alarm, Cobra CB, 2001 Honda CR250, 400EX & ATC 70 in the bed, not much more to come...
1996CC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2005, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

as 1996 said--use 1/8 pipe X 3/8 hose barb---tap tank--screw nipple in with jb weld around it
94 f250 idi turbo sc e4od alum fac rims 149,289 --dana 60 frt with posi--10.25 rear w/posi--shouldnt get stuck!! ats turbo 3" parts on--what a diff from stock turbo!!!!!--- also 96 F250 with 305,000 is fixed!!-- 7.3 rattler-also 85 6.9-needs new engine!! tired!!
94_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2005, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (63)

[ QUOTE ]
as 1996 said--use 1/8 pipe X 3/8 hose barb---tap tank--screw nipple in with jb weld around it

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I did. -phillip

1995 F350 CC DRW XLT, Converted to 4x4 with D60 front, Disk Brake Dana 80 Rear, Powertrax No-spin locker, Alcoa Classics, Large syncro ZF5 tranny with fluid cooler and pump, LUK Cerrametallic clutch, Big bumpers, Gooseneck hitch, Cobra 148, Alpine CD player/SPS speakers, SuperDuty electric fuel pump, Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator, Davco/Detroit Diesel fuel filter assembly with twin 10 micron Cummins OTR style filters, Stanadyne Fuel heater, Superduty VC harnesses, Tymar intake, Isspro EV Pyro and boost gauges, Autometer pod, Ford AIC, Techonsha Hydraulic brake control, TS 6position chip, JD coolant eye, 4" DP with 5" Auto-Jet muffler and exhaust out the back, SWAMPED.

1984 F250 4x4-6.9 diesel with a Western plow...Bone stock-about to be restored.
KentuckyDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2005, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you go with the new tank top they have a brass nipple.
95 250 SC 4x4 auto 4:10 28,000 long cooler shimmed guages pipe WD chip, manual hubs, camper, 22' 5'er horse trailer
Rick Thielmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2005, 09:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

I had the same problem about a year ago during a waterpump replacement. I squared off the broken nipple and then drilled the hole in the radiator the exact size as the nipple. I inserted the nipple into the hole and JB welded in place. I had to have a quick fix and it has held ever since! No leaks no problems! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
If it leaks in the future I'll go with the brass fitting.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

When mine broke, I super glued it back in place, then put 2-3 coats of JB weld around it. Been there 2 years and never had a problem.
kb
Pinesman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.