no power, wont rev from 2000-2800 then goes - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2006, 08:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
no power, wont rev from 2000-2800 then goes

97 f 450 powerstroke work truck.
New fuel filter
New pump
cleaned injectors
New injector driver
new trans
New cam sensor

truck runs ok up to 2000 rpm then has no power and loads with fuel and smokes til 2800 then after that power comes back and screams to yellow line. when driving runs up to shift point with no power, shifts then power comes back then repeats for each gear. When in Neutral if you rev it up it revs to 2000 takes a few seconds to clear out all the smoke then revs to yellow line. Has trouble getting up to 65-70 mph or sustaining speed. Please Help. Not sure of the whole trucks history.

Thanks

Joe
Straightlinemas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2006, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: no power, wont rev from 2000-2800 then goes

[ QUOTE ]
97 f 450 powerstroke work truck.
New fuel filter
New pump
cleaned injectors
New injector driver
new trans
New cam sensor

truck runs ok up to 2000 rpm then has no power and loads with fuel and smokes til 2800 then after that power comes back and screams to yellow line. when driving runs up to shift point with no power, shifts then power comes back then repeats for each gear. When in Neutral if you rev it up it revs to 2000 takes a few seconds to clear out all the smoke then revs to yellow line. Has trouble getting up to 65-70 mph or sustaining speed. Please Help. Not sure of the whole trucks history.

Thanks

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like injectors to me but I'm no mechanic and I really want to hear more about the truck's history or at least what you know.

What do you mean by: cleaned injectors? How was this done? Who did it and why?

What is a: new pump? And why was it needed?

It looks like a lot of new parts. Has this been going on long? Is someone charging you to throw parts at this problem? What color is the smoke? It looks like an auto trans is that right? I'm sure someone will have some answers or suggestions if you can give us some more information.

On edit: Welcome to TDS
<span style="color: #000099"> 96 F-250 CREWCAB POWERSTROKE... Stage 1 injectors... 6 position Tony Wildman chip: stock, economy, daily, tow, hot tow, & Luke Cline Extreme... Superduty IDM mod... Tymar intake... Tymar 3"X4" down pipe... Tymar 4" exhaust... Tymar high pressure oil crossover... 6.0 intercooler-PIPES thanks to GTS... CCV mod... V10 transmission cooler... 203* thermostat... shimmed FPR... gutted EBPV... Monster Box trans... 4.10s... Dana 60 front... LS rear w/ extra qt and a half diff cover... three gauge pod full of Autometer's... AIC... Turbo pedestal mod by Rick96F250 and a 3/8inch shorter bolt on the rear passenger side of the pedestal... Nippondenso starter... THINGS TO DO: get a big turbo, big oil, and big fuel... RSK with SD springs.</span>

<span style="color: #CC0000"> #26</span>
krowell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2006, 05:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

The problem started all of a sudden, soon after a automatic trans changed occured due to a bad bearing in the trans. We bought the truck with 160k on it. Thats why i dont know all that much about it. It had no power and was smoking alot. we took it to a mechanic and changed cam sensor, then checked fuel pressure. Fuel pressure was lacking, so he replaced the fuel pump and was able to get the proper pressure. He took the injectors out and sent them to someone called fluid dynamics who cleaned them and I guess flow tested them. He reported back that the injectors were not perfect, but they should not be causing this problem. The Smoke that comes out is Blue. Its and F450 stakebody work truck.

Thanks
Joe
Old 10-27-2006, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

The fact it runs fine below 2K, then screams above 2.8K makes me think injectors are ok.......I'm thinking it's got to be a control problem related to engine/fuel management.

My two dixie Customs pic
My other passion pic
My other hobby..MUSIC!..I have a dance pole, lights and mirrors in that room now!
Yehaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2006, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

The Exhaust Back Pressure Valve wouldnt be sticking would it?

94.5, PSD, F-250, 4x4, Handshaker, Couple Do-Dads
, All Cleared Out
kfjensen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2006, 09:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am not sure, How can I tell if it is sticking or not?

Thanks Guys

Joe
Old 10-28-2006, 01:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Have someone rev the engine while you look for a vacuume module by the rear of the turbo. There is a small rod attached to the EBPV. If it is not moving it is stuck. Does this condition occur at all temps, cold to warm?
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2006, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was thinking exhaust backpreasure valve also. Mine acted the same way when I bought it, the ebpv was stuck, I had to use a channel lock on the arm to open it, The pickup was a whole different machine after I did that. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I since have gutted the ebpv. good luck.

Alan

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES
SoDakStroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2006, 10:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yes it occurs all the time hot or cold. I am going to try to work on it tomorrow, I will let everyone know what happens. Thanks
Old 10-31-2006, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

How hard is it to change injectors?
Old 10-31-2006, 04:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Today I gutted the exhaust back pressure valve and it still does the same thing. Noticed fuel leaking from back of block running down oil pan after the stealer installed the fuel pump. What should I try next???

Thanks
Old 10-31-2006, 04:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Any codes in the PCM ?Why did they change the fuel pump, was it doing this before that?
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2006, 08:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

They changed the fuel pump because they said it didnt have sufficient pressure. It ran like this before the fuel pump was changed. No codes in the computer. So far it has had, a new fuel pump, new fuel filter adapter thing, they stopped making the one, so I have no idea if the filters were changed regularly. New Cam sensor, gutted the exhaust back pressure valve today. new trans, new converter. What else can I do, if no codes are showing up? Do I change injectors and gamble and pray thats it???
Old 10-31-2006, 09:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

I think that YOU should check or make a hose installed to PERSONALLY check fuel pressure at idle and at several speeds. How do you know 'it was all right'? If you check it and then you will know what is what. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
95 F250,XLT, 4WD, Auto Trans,bbshimmed,synthetic trans oil,4:10 gears ,Truck Trunk ,Nerf Bars ,crome Mud flaps, Aux. trans cooler, front diff. drain plug. External trans.filter, trimmed snorkel. American wheels water temp guage, front fuel tank mod,Warn Manual hubs,Putman class 4 hitch 212k mi.
Currently also have 2012 Dodge 4X4 with a Cummins engine.

It is said if you sit by the river and watch the water flow by long enough, your enemies will pass by. This I believe to be true. It is also possible to watch your loved ones pass by as well.
Wife Candi 08/14/07 missing her always
Gone Fishen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2006, 09:44 AM   #15 (permalink)

Ok can you tell me the best way to check the fuel pressure? and What the pressure should be? Is there any fuel pressure adjustments on the pump? Which hoses on the pump are the ones that leak?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.