The Diesel Stop banner

O/D off light flashing speedo/odo not working shifting HARD

20K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Daddywag 
#1 ·
i got in my truck to drive home last night and noticed the speedo and the odometer were out. so i kept going and the truck never shifted into second gear until i let off the throttle a little bit then SLAM, worlds hardest shift. same thing with all other shifts. it was pretty scary driving it home like that about a 40 mile trip. tried shutting the truck off and letting it sit but that didn't fix anything. also the overdrive off light on the end of the shifter is flashing.??... had the rear gears done a few weeks ago to match my front 60 gears could there be some sensor in there that went bad or something??

HELP!!!!
thanks Jerry

#2 ·
There is a sensor on the rear axle that can cause all these problems. It's called the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS.) Look on top of the axle in the middle. It could be the sensor itself, the wiring to the sensor, or the exciter ring that is attached to the ring gear.

#3 ·
if the speedo and odometer are out at the same time i would bet it is the psom.had the same problem with mine and after 3 vss sensors, the ring, and wiring all checked out the problem was still there.replaced the psom and all has been well for the last 8 months.when mine would go out a good smack on the dash would bring it right back and code would always say vss error good luck.

#4 ·
Hold it a sec... if the odo is blank and the trans is shifting hard w/"OD OFF" blinking - before you get carried away, check fuse #7 or #8 - top one in second row, by driver's left knee - if your dome light isn't working, the fuse is likely blown. I often pull the fuse if I'm parked and intend to leave the door open w/radio on, so I don't run the batteries down or attract every mosquito in the county with the interior lights. I've forgotten to replace the fuse, and ended up driving away only to have the OD OFF light give me the "$4000 scare" (the cost of a new BTS transmissiono and TC), before I remember the fuse.

Just a thought, and I hope it's the fuse and not your tranny.

Josh

#5 ·
Hi. JoshR is right recommending to check the fuses. Actually Its the #6 fuse at the very top of second row in drivers side fuse box. I have aftermarket running boards and one of the positive wires running to the lights came unplugged and shorted off the frame. My truck shifted so hard I almost chipped a tooth, no speedometer or odometer and had the OD selector switch flashing. It also drove strange like tranny was slipping and it actually shut completely off once and I had to coast to the side of the highway. Weird and scary. Anyway...I swapped out the fuse and all was fixed! Thanks everyone on this site....Ive fixed these strange little occurances so many times from your posts!

#9 ·
On several forums that use this platform, the administrators/moderators have turned on the option to show the thread start date after the OP's username under the thread title in the forum view. Any chance of getting that here? It really helps everyone recognize resurrected threads.

#10 ·
99% of those that resurrect a old thread are new members that found the thread doing a google search.

I highly doubt that that they even know that the thread could be 10 years old or even that they can look somewhere to find out. They just want to ask a question about their problem in a thread that they found doing the search.

#12 · (Edited)
99% of those that resurrect a old thread are new members that found the thread doing a google search.
I'm not talking about them - I'm talking about US recognizing a thread they've resurrected.
Post date/time is right at the top of each post; kinda hard to miss.
Apparently not, because many people don't notice it, and reply to the OP instead of the resurrector. And you're talking about the THREAD view (this one). I'm talking about the FORUM view (back a page). Scroll down this page, and look beside the usernames under the thread titles:
http://www.***************/forums/7-3l-powerstroke-diesels.12/
Yeah, it's a different BBS platform, but I've seen dates like that on this platform (vBulletin).

Great - the owners here are paranoid, and they think there's no way you can find another BBS if they filter out the links here.

#14 ·
I dont care when this was posted . all i care about is that it just saved my ass a BUNCH OF MONEY!!!! was told that my tranny was shot and might need a rebuild . Thanks to the awesome dude above that said check the #6 fuze (actually #8) and low and behold i have a shifting normal no light blinking and have a speedo again. Now i want to go ram my truck thru the prick's truck that was trying to get me for $4000 !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.