oil leak - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil leak

i have a 1996 one ton and have had an extensive amount of work done to the truck. Just recently replaced oil cooler seals. new mechanical fuel pump new valvecover gaskets and glowplugs
hpop seals also replaced last year. I just recently saw that there is oil in the valley below the mech. fuel pump . It is indeed oil I have looked and looked and dont see anything coming off the bottom of turbo They say the pedastal can leak but I am not seeing it. I took the orange boot the goes to the intake and turbo and noticed that there was oil inside it and there was oil at the edge of the turbo when i took it off?? I am stumped as to where the oil is coming from . I dont really know much about the turbos on these trucks. Any pointers would be appreciated. Truck has 200k
shell96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
The oil that you are seeing in the turbo intake boot is coming from the crank case ventilation system out of the drivers side valve cover and is normal. What you need to do is clean all the oil out that you can and then watch it. There is a possibility that the oil is coming from one of the high pressure oil plugs that go into the heads on the valley side of them. Occasionally one of the O rings will go bad and will start to seep oil out of the fitting.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Where exactly are these plugs. Do they typically leak bad or just seep?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
They are on the valley side of the heads. You can follow the high pressure oil line to see where it connects and then each cylinder has a plug. The heads are 11/16" if I remember correctly and they are a O ring seal.

If the O ring goes it could leak pretty bad or if it is just failing it may just seep oil out of the high pressure oil system. You might also want to look around the base of the high pressure oil pump.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok thanks for the advice! If it is the turbo pedistal seals what are the symptoms of that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.