oil leak after cold weather start, then stop - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2006, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil leak after cold weather start, then stop

1995 7.3 powerstroke, 100,000 miles (have changed injectors, glow plugs). In cold weather (32 degrees) engine hard to start; then very rough, noisy idle; then when immediately shut off (without driving), considerable oil found on ground. Otherwise runs great. Oil seems to be an overflow or something. Does not happen when engine is warm or weather is warm. Any ideas?
ysiad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2006, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: oil leak after cold weather start, then stop

Check the external oil cooler. Mine does the same leaking from there but only when quite cold. Dealer says it has a tiny crack in it & that it isn't unusual! Also check your glow plugs could cause rough idle when cold.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)

OR, check your EBPV housing. Oil LOVES to come out of the actuator barrel. I had that problem and solved it by cutting the barrel off and welding the oil holes shut...

TFB
tallfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2006, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ysiad Man I wish I had a 95 with just 100k.
I've seemed to have experienced the same leak a couple times over the years. It was disturbing seeing the puddle of oil. looked like mine oil came from drivers valve cover. Started plugging the truck in and Eliminated hard starts no more oil leak. Find my hard start was a glow plug relay. Another time it was the glow plug wiring harnesses and valve cover plugs. I wonder if the cause of our leaks could be when the valve cover plugs get hot and swell the valve cover gasket leaks until it cools. Seemed to only leak during cold hard starts. Fix the hard start problem.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Probably from the external oil cooler. I had the o-rings replaced, there are o-rings that seal the oil from the outside and also seal from the coolant. Mine were brittle and cracked, leaked to the outside. The inside were also hard and brittle, no leak. Hate to think of coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. Peace of mind is worth a little $$$. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

85 F-250 4x4 6.9 Regular cab, 4 spd, flat deck 538 000k, 3.54 gears, making 25.5 MPG Imperial, Racor Water Fuel/separator, original owner.

95 F-350 XL 4x4, 7.3L PowerStroke, 5 spd, 4.10 LS 265/75R16, Regular cab, 246,000 miles, custom box, 12,000 Warn winch, replaced down pipe, home made air intake

72 Mustang Mach 1, original owner, Boss 351, 53,000 miles, estimated 425 HP, all go and still makes 18 MPG

74 F-350, 2x4 390 FE bored to 410, auto, 3.54 gears, 110,000 miles, original owner.
hicom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.