Rear hub torque specs - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2006, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear hub torque specs

Can someone tell me the torque specs for the hub lock nuts on the rear hubs and the 8 bolts on the outside of the hub? I'm doing rear axle seals today...

Thanks guys,
Casey
1997 F-250HD SuperCab●4x4●ZF-5●4.10●Tymar Intake●Wildman 6 Pos. Chip●SD Intercooler●17* HPOP●4 Straight Pipe w/5 Silverline Tip●3-Pillar Zeries Gauges (Pyro/Boost/Oil Temp)●3.5" RSK/D60/SD Springs●Ride Rite Rear Bags●Bilstein 5100 Shocks●315/75/R16 BFG A/T●Pro Comp XTreme Wheels --- SOLD 01/2011

2009 F-250 FX4 - Diesel - Crew Cab/Long Bed - 4" Pure Performance X-Factor Lift - 325/60/20 Goodyear Duratracs on Stock 20's
PSDfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2006, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: Rear hub torque specs

hub, turn nut on till its tight, probably about 60lbs, then back off about 1/4 turn, probably like 6-8 clicks.
the axleshafts. tight, but dont snap them. i hammer them with my GOOD IR on the low setting.
Pics
BurnedBronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2006, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

i do not think that what he is talking about. the 8 bolts holding axle in. is what he is talking about, i belive. they do not get backed off 1/4 turn.
1996 F350 C/Cab,7.3L PSD/M Burgundy/15000 lb warn winch/Tymar filter/4"exhaust/no kitty/pre turbo pyro/boost guage/BD4banks chip/no back seat, custom tool box instead/110 4000 watt inverter/on board air/200 amp alternator/4"lift/ Royal purple oil rear 75/140,syncromax in tranney/RottelaT 15/40 in engine with Durolube/Evens npt+ watterless antifreze/luk clutch solid flywheel/home made AIC/power stearing line mod/home made traction bars,
glow relay mod= instaled LED light in dash so i can tell if GP relay is working or not.
shendoa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2006, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

he said hub nut AND axle nuts. i gave numbers for both. the hub nut is the criitical one, the axleshafts just need to be tight.
Pics
BurnedBronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Per manual, tighten bearings to 55-65ft/lbs at the big nuts, then back them off 1/8 turn (which equals five clicks - easy to gauge even if you can't hear them, as there are 8 axle bolts, thus 1/8 turn), then after you set her down on the ground, tighten the axle bolts to 60-80 ft/lbs. Wheels should be 140 ft/lbs.

Josh R
'96 F350 XLT CC 4x4 PSD auto LWB 4.10 open, white, open intake, Tymar HX, 3"DPP downpipe, 315 General A/T on factory Alcoas, F add-a-leaf, new alt x3, fuel pump x3, water pump x2, vac pump x 3, PS pump x3, SD starter x3, rebuilt seats, total poly bushing kit, serious noise reduction, new tan interior and vinyl floor, Bilsteins, Bean's Stage 1s, Tony Wildman 4-pos chip (wow), etc ad infinitum, old black Lab in backseat, locally rebuilt tranny & new TC @ 211k, complete body 'makeover' and repaint @ 213k, new fast-spool turbo 7/11, 307k miles on 18 Oct '13; probably won't run forever but neither will I
JoshR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2006, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wheel, hubs & bearings, Rear, Dana Full-floating axle

Hub Nut 65-75 ft/lbs
To set bearings,back off the hub nut 90 degrees,retighten. 15-20 ft/lbs

Axle Shaft-to-Rear Hub Bolts 83-113 ft/lbs

Is this what you need? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

hheynow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.