Rebuilt E4OD slipping at 2-3 shift and TC locking up really hard sometimes - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rebuilt E4OD slipping at 2-3 shift and TC locking up really hard sometimes

I've noticed since I've had my E4OD transmission rebuilt (in a 95 PSD E series Van) That the shifts flare once in a while and other times it'll actually slip quite a bit mostly on the 2-3 shift. And I mean BAD slips.

It's basically a slip from 2-3 --> RPM's shoot way up --> grabs for a second then starts slipping again and the process repeats for around 5 seconds until it finally grabs into third and holds.

The other thing I've noticed is that the transfer of the torque to the back wheels is not quite as good as it was before the rebuild. Things seem not as firm sort of like the engine is spinning but not having the grip that it used to before the rebuild.

The last thing I'm not happy about is that sometimes the TC lockup really slams. I think what is happening is the #4 gear and TC lockup are happening at the same time at around 45MPH which is really lugging the engine. The TC is never locked in 3rd gear even with OD off and at 45-50 MPH. I checked this by lightly pressing the brake pedal while driving (foot on the gas).

The WORST part about this is that it only happens sometimes so diagnosing may be sketchy (right now the van is back with the guy who rebuilt it). When it happens the OD OFF light will start blinking for around 30 seconds to a minute and then go back to normal (stops blinking). There's no real rhyme or reason to when it slips. It's happened cold and it's happened hot. Today I thought I was going to loose the transmission all together it was slipping quite a bit on the 2-3. One instance was probably around 20 seconds of slip grab slip grab slip grab before it continued on. The rebuild was $1785 and less than 150 miles old so this is not encouraging in the slightest.

Any ideas what could cause this and that it only happens sometimes?

EDIT: one other thing... when I floor it when passing up hill, shifts aren't firm (downshift to 3rd), it's as soft as can be.
-GMC Suburban 6.2 Detroit - Slow. Reliable. Sold.

Last edited by 777funk; 06-19-2010 at 07:47 PM.
777funk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Since the OD light was flashing a code will be stored. That is a good starting place to start the diagnosis.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Since the OD light was flashing a code will be stored. That is a good starting place to start the diagnosis.
It came on during the slip. I bought one of those $100 walmart OBD-II readers a while back and it wouldn't read this vehicle (95 PSD Van). Do I need something fancy to read the code? ODBCom's laptop OBD-II to USB laptop computer scanner wouldn't tell anything either. Nothing at all. This works fine on other Ford and GM vehicles (Windstar and a few others).

The OD light started blinking during the slip. It stopped blinking around 30 seconds or so after the slip. This happened several times... slips, comes on, goes back off.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
The cheap OBDII code readers can't read Ford transmission codes. You need a better one. The only one I'm familiar with is the Ford NGS.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
The cheap OBDII code readers can't read Ford transmission codes. You need a better one. The only one I'm familiar with is the Ford NGS.
The AUTOENGINUITY would probably also work. Software for a laptop. Gonna buy the Entire package as soon as I can scrape up $1250.00
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Would this do it:
AutoEnginuity OBDII OBD2 Windows Scan Tool Scanner(USB): eBay Motors (item 300438069821 end time Jun-22-10 19:00:07 PDT)

(Auto Enginuity for around $200 on ebay)
Old 06-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
make sure that it isn't a pirated copy. You'll need the basic software and the FORD expansion pack.
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy

Old 06-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

I believe this is the hardware (usb to OBDII cable).
Old 06-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I believe this is the hardware (usb to OBDII cable).
The cable is included in the package. You get an installation disc and the cable. But like I posted above: you will need the FORD software (extra) I believe to do the tranny codes, but it will do so much more.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
The guy who rebuilt the transmission doesn't have the right reader.

Hopefully he'll be able to get it working right. I asked him before he rebuilt it if he was familiar with the E4OD and he said he should have no problem because he'd rebuilt hundreds of C6's and AX4N's and S's.

Hopefully not $1785 down the drain. Seems like he's not up on all of the electronics end of the transmission.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

Hopefully he'll be able to get it working right. I asked him before he rebuilt it if he was familiar with the E4OD and he said he should have no problem because he'd rebuilt hundreds of C6's and AX4N's and S's.

Hopefully not $1785 down the drain. Seems like he's not up on all of the electronics end of the transmission.
OUCH!!! That would have been my first warning flag. To me that's like saying "I have built a bunch of chevy S/B's so it should be no problem rebuilding your 7.3 diesel" And then not to have the proper equipment to diagnose any problems?

I too hope that he can make it right.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

I feel your pain. My truck was doing the same thing between 1st and 2nd. Then it would occasionally happen between 2nd and 3rd. I bought the truck (knowing that it was going to need some fixing) from a guy that "rebuilds transmissions in diesel Mercedes - a pick up truck couldn't be too tough." Well guess what - it proved to be tougher than he thought because it only lasted about 400 miles before it crapped out. I took it by a few different shops and they all said it appeared that it needed a new transmission and some of the parts put on it were not made for HD trucks. There is a big long story that goes with the whole thing, but the quick end to it is that I had a new transmission put in by someone who knew what they were doing and warranted their work. Hope it ends well for you....
kenmcree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

The automatic transmission speed control sensor that fits into the top of the rearend and has two wires coming out of it will cause this problem routinely. It costs about $30 and the connector plug about the same and takes about 30 minutes to replace, always replace both and always solder the connections is an absolute must. You can also disconnect all battery cables overnight and then reconnect and start it and try it. It's going in and out of emergency shifting mode and you will ruin the transmission if you don't take these steps.
Bumper to bumper, Full Synthetic!!! Rotella T 5-40(7.3L) -- Mobil 1 Mercon V(E40D) -- Amsoil Extreme 75-90(Danas 60) -- Detroit Lakes, Minnesota -- "Boating has always been a rich mans hobby". -- 1996 E350 XLT Club Wagon 15 Passenger Van. -- Purchased 10-21-2009 for $700 cash with 620,000 miles on it! -- It's mint and beautiful! -- I love it! -- I am 64 years old and a professional mechanic and truck driver for over 45 years. --I am now a rich man driving a $50,000 prime time Ford that gets 21 MPG(HWY) & 16 MPG(Town).

Last edited by midwestconnection; 06-22-2010 at 10:56 AM.
midwestconnection is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestconnection View Post
The automatic transmission speed control sensor that fits into the top of the rearend and has two wires coming out of it will cause this problem routinely. It costs about $30 and the connector plug about the same and takes about 30 minutes to replace, always replace both and always solder the connections is an absolute must. You can also disconnect all battery cables overnight and then reconnect and start it and try it. It's going in and out of emergency shifting mode and you will ruin the transmission if you don't take these steps.
I have read quite a bit when I had my first bad E4OD in an IDI turbo truck (not good luck with these so far!). So one of the first things I replaced when I noticed the slipping was the vehicle speed sensor. But the weird thing is that the speedometer is working. Would a problem with the speed sensor let the speedometer give an accurate reading?

The only thing I did notice is that the speedo seems to wander ever so slightly at higher speeds (say above 60MPH). It'll waver a few miles per hour and I can tell it's the needle and not my actual speed.

I didn't replace the connector.

But the needle isn't acting too weird.

Wouldn't the speed sensor cause the transmission to go into limp mode and bang into gear/i.e. not the slipping I'm noticing?

My OD OFF light started blinking during the major slipping episodes but not continuously. It was just during the slipping. It'd go off 30 seconds or so after the slipping stopped.

It does seem like it could be electronics related (possibly) because there's no rhyme or reason to when it will shift nice and when it wont. All the sudden it'll just start causing all kinds of grief then I'll drive it again a few minutes later and it'll shift just fine.

Could my PCM be the problem?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I have read quite a bit when I had my first bad E4OD in an IDI turbo truck (not good luck with these so far!). So one of the first things I replaced when I noticed the slipping was the vehicle speed sensor. But the weird thing is that the speedometer is working. Would a problem with the speed sensor let the speedometer give an accurate reading?

The only thing I did notice is that the speedo seems to wander ever so slightly at higher speeds (say above 60MPH). It'll waver a few miles per hour and I can tell it's the needle and not my actual speed.

I didn't replace the connector.

But the needle isn't acting too weird.

Wouldn't the speed sensor cause the transmission to go into limp mode and bang into gear/i.e. not the slipping I'm noticing?

My OD OFF light started blinking during the major slipping episodes but not continuously. It was just during the slipping. It'd go off 30 seconds or so after the slipping stopped.

It does seem like it could be electronics related (possibly) because there's no rhyme or reason to when it will shift nice and when it wont. All the sudden it'll just start causing all kinds of grief then I'll drive it again a few minutes later and it'll shift just fine.

Could my PCM be the problem?
It costs nothing to didconnect the batteries overnight and $30 for the part plus labor to solder a new connection. One at a time or both at once.
Bumper to bumper, Full Synthetic!!! Rotella T 5-40(7.3L) -- Mobil 1 Mercon V(E40D) -- Amsoil Extreme 75-90(Danas 60) -- Detroit Lakes, Minnesota -- "Boating has always been a rich mans hobby". -- 1996 E350 XLT Club Wagon 15 Passenger Van. -- Purchased 10-21-2009 for $700 cash with 620,000 miles on it! -- It's mint and beautiful! -- I love it! -- I am 64 years old and a professional mechanic and truck driver for over 45 years. --I am now a rich man driving a $50,000 prime time Ford that gets 21 MPG(HWY) & 16 MPG(Town).
midwestconnection is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.