SCA ?? WIX ?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2006, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCA ?? WIX ??

Hello all:
Say I am having a hard time finding some SCA local. Everyone is out except a dealer thats a ways out.

Has anyone ever used WIX 24058 SCA ??

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlook...imageField.y=0

A Parts Plus near me has it. Never used this before myself.

Surprisingly the link above the WIX site does not give much info.

Always suspect of something I have not used before. Should have ordered some from DIS. My bad for not geting my stuff ahead of time.

]THANK YOU[/b]
bubbablue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2006, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Re: SCA ?? WIX ??

SCA is SCA, doesn't matter whos bottle its in.
Partsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2006, 05:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

I've never seen anything but type IV.
Partsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2006, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

There are two types of SCA, DCA-2 and DCA-4. But Ford does not specify any particular SCA for your PSD. FW-15, FW-16, and VC-8 are Ford's Motorcraft part numbers, not specifications (just like Ford's FL-1995 oil filter). Although Ford would like to sell you their Motorcraft DCA-4 (and their oil filters), any quality SCA will work wonders and meet your specification.

I like DCA-2 SCA because it doesn't contain the phosphates of DCA-4 SCA that cause scale when mixed with H2O. Plus it is Nitrite-only based. Nitrite is the primary cavitation inhibitor. DCA-2's don't need to rely on the Molybdate "synergy" that the DCA-4's must rely on. DCA-2's are easy to find (the most popular and widely used in the world), the most easy to test (any Nitrite 2-way or 3-way strip will work, and no hassle trying to balance the Molybdate/Nitrite scale to optimize protection), they deplete slower, plus they are harder to overdose. But if you're a hard-core Blue Oval, you can certainly fuss with finding and using the DCA-4 and 3-way strips.

BTW, the WIX SCA is excellent. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2006, 11:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
There are two types of SCA, DCA-2 and DCA-4. But Ford does not specify any particular SCA for your PSD. FW-15, FW-16, and VC-8 are Ford's Motorcraft part numbers, not specifications (just like Ford's FL-1995 oil filter). Although Ford would like to sell you their Motorcraft DCA-4 (and their oil filters), any quality SCA will work wonders and meet your specification.

I like DCA-2 SCA because it doesn't contain the phosphates of DCA-4 SCA that cause scale when mixed with H2O. Plus it is Nitrite-only based. Nitrite is the primary cavitation inhibitor. DCA-2's don't need to rely on the Molybdate "synergy" that the DCA-4's must rely on. DCA-2's are easy to find (the most popular and widely used in the world), the most easy to test (any Nitrite 2-way or 3-way strip will work, and no hassle trying to balance the Molybdate/Nitrite scale to optimize protection), they deplete slower, plus they are harder to overdose. But if you're a hard-core Blue Oval, you can certainly fuss with finding and using the DCA-4 and 3-way strips.

BTW, the WIX SCA is excellent. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

... I have edited my reply due to lack of the correct information.

for those of you with the correct information, thank you for enlightning us that were in the dark....

I like what I do, and I do what I like... fortunatly I can make a decent living at it as long as I keep doing it.

1995 F-250 XLT PSD Ext-cab 4X4 4:10 gears, straight pipe, 3" downpipe, shimmed FPR, Tony Wildman 4pos.chip, dash mounted triple gauge, deleted EBPV, baldwin PA2818 open element intake, MileMarker SS manual hubs, tru-cool "max" tranny cooler. 200,000mi service included injector job, lift pump & hoses, IPR valve, CPS,MAP,EBP,BARO,ICP sensors, new poly bushings w/extended front spring shackles & F-350 springs in the rear. new carrier bearings in the rear diff. only used to pull the Dive boat or Polaris toy trailer. GVW when ready to go, 17,000lbs. with 4 sets of dive gear on the boat.

'94 volvo service truck... with all the tools and other fun stuff.
centerline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2006, 12:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)

Partsman
If you want to learn a little more about the two different SCA technologies DCA-2 (Pencool) and DCA-4 (Fleetguard) check out THIS page and the links that it contains.

Gooch
I use the DCA-4 only because I was working for a company that went out of business and I now have a good supply of fleetguard filters with 0,2,4 and 8 units. But I plan to switch to Evans coolant long before I can use all the filters.

bubbablue
The WixCool additive is part of the Penray/Pencool family and is fine for your truck as long as you do a complete flush and remove any FW-16 DCA-4 before using it.
BlueMule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2006, 01:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
although the DCA 2 is used here also, a lot of retailers do not stock it due to the confusion of the two different types, DCA 2 vs. DCA 4 and they are NOT compatable with each other. if you are experimenting with different anti-freezes you need to check the label as some anti-freezes are compatible with one and not the other type of additive.

[/ QUOTE ]

DCA-2 and DCA-4 are compatable with each other. There is no low silicate coolant that I'm aware of that wouldn't be compatable with either type. How about an example of one that isn't.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hello all:

Say thanks for all your good info......going off right now to get the Wix.

It is unbelievable when you call around to the parts stores the dead air you get on the phone when you say I need this XXX for a Diesel....... Even at the few private reliable old parts stores that are left.

I get a little crazy cause I am so sick of thess Chinese Junk parts that arnt worth Squat.. And sometimes thats the only choice you have now.. I rework stuff all the Time from my friends shop for race engines. It is getting scarry.

Oh sorry there I go again... Off the Soapbox back

Thanks again for this great board and all you fine people .
bubbablue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2006, 10:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
DCA-2 and DCA-4 are compatable with each other. There is no low silicate coolant that I'm aware of that wouldn't be compatable with either type. How about an example of one that isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a combination of both types of additive in your cooling system then what test strips would you use to check the levels?
Old 04-15-2006, 11:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

I would use Fleetguard 2602 strips. There may be others.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Okay, now I'm really confused. Im familiar with the 2602 3-way strips and the chart that goes with them. The Penray/DCA-2 types of additives do not use molybdate and yet that is one of the things that the 2602 strips check for and you have to use that reading when you go to the chart to get your protection level. Now if you had a combination of both DCA2 and DCA4 in the system that would make the molybdate read low,causing you to add more SCA and end up with a nitrite level that's to high. I still dont see how you could test a system with both types of SCA. Believe me, I'm not trying to be argumentative here, just trying to fully understand this so I dont continue to pass along wrong info.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Look at your 2602 color chart and give me an example.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

444-4D is correct. The DCA-2 and DCA-4 SCA are compatible and can be mixed. The mix can be accurately tested using either strip. Both leading manufacturers of the different SCA's (Penray and Fleetguard) have verified that.

[ QUOTE ]
The Penray/DCA-2 types of additives do not use molybdate and yet that is one of the things that the 2602 strips check for and you have to use that reading when you go to the chart to get your protection level.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need molybdate in your SCA to use those strips. If you look at the bottom of that 2602 test chart you will find ppm Nitrite in small print. For example you could have 0 molybdate and 2400 ppm Nitrite and be perfectly acceptable using the DCA-4 2602 test procedure. That's one of the problems with DCA-4 "synergy", it ultimately relies on Nitrite levels (the DCA-2 method), especially since you can't adjust the molybdate without adding Nitrite.

[ QUOTE ]
Now if you had a combination of both DCA2 and DCA4 in the system that would make the molybdate read low,causing you to add more SCA and end up with a nitrate level that's to high.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are INDUSTRY CONVERSIONS and METHODS for testing mixed SCA's with either strip. 1 DCA-4 SCA unit = 800 ppm Nitrite. Nitrite is the primary cavitation inhibitor. Again, using the DCA-4 test you could have 0 molybdate and 2400 ppm of Nitrite and be safe. That doesn't say much for the molybdate synergy idea. And again, that is why the DCA-4 procedure is much easier to overdose...you can't just add molybdate only. By adding more SCA trying to raise the molybdate level, you'll also end up adding more Nitrite.

If you need a more technical explanation, feel free to PM me Rodney. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.