The Diesel Stop banner

Self-correcting E4OD problem...I think???

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  burgie 
#1 ·
Good morning folks,

So I apologize for what may be a long read regarding a peculiar issue that recently occurred with the E4OD in my 1996 F-350 4x4, but here goes.
The E4OD in my truck is a Ford reman I installed in 2006 when I had 187K miles. I now have 305K miles. I recently did a complete maintenance which included fluid drain, internal filter change, new external magnetic in-line filter and fresh fluid. I have an extra deep pan for more fluid capacity and a 28K GVW tranny cooler in series with the stock cooler (these have been on for years). Internal magnet was extremely clean and the fluid didn’t look bad at all or smell burnt. This maintenance was about 4K miles ago and the truck ran fine as usual.

I usually don’t do that much towing aside from bark mulch or a couple tons of ¾ stone for my driveway. This past Tuesday (3 days ago) I went to a recycled aggregate products yard and got a load of crushed concrete for the new shop I am building. I was using a friend’s dump trailer with tandem axles and came out with 4.73 tons. My ride home was 18 miles, ½ rural and ½ highway. As always I was out of O/D and on one particular hill I left it in 2nd so as not to feather between 2nd & 3rd. Towed no problem and I never went more than 45 MPH…just babied it and took my time.

I got home and drove out into my back yard, threw it in Reverse, dumped the load and put it back into Drive…nothing. Thought linkages are tired so went into Park and then Drive and it moved forward. Then I backed out of the yard and onto the street, threw it into Drive…nothing. 2nd…nothing. 1st…nothing. Hmmm? Reverse was fine but no forward gears. No CEL, no flashing O/D on the stick, fluid level was full. No burnt smell and fluid color looked normal. I felt the 28K GVW cooler and it was no hotter than any other time I have felt it (qualitative hand test here…no IR thermometer…kinda like tire kicking). Let it sit for an hour or so as I disconnected the trailer and took the tractor and towed it off the road. Later I went and tried it and nothing so I put it in 1st and increased the RPMs a bit and it took off and then I shifted to 2nd and the Drive and it seemed to work fine. Hmmm? Drove it on my driveway which is a slight incline and put it in Park. Then Neutral and let it roll back about 15 feet, then Drive and it crisply drove forward up to incline. Did the same thing for 2nd and 1st. Hmmm?

Yesterday I took if for a 3-4 mile drive around the neighborhood and back on a main road and no issues whatsoever. This morning I drove it to work, 10 miles away mostly back roads but enough open roads to reach temperature and speed sufficient to go through all gears into O/D and it’s like nothing ever happened at all. I am totally puzzled? Any ideas folks?

Thanks, in advance, for any ideas/suggestions…because I am actually hesitant to drive it anywhere far from home for fear that this was the calm before the strom…

See less See more
#2 ·
Machines don't fix themselves...

Did you check the fluid level during the problem? What brand & type of fluid is in it? What was in it? Did you install the 4WD-type trans filter, and fully-seat it into the valve body?

#3 ·
Ahhh...yea...I realize that...my title simply implied that I had an issue and now it seems to have disappeared. Fluid checked fine, Valvoline Dexcon III/Mercon equivalent. Same as what was in there before. Yes on the filter and old o-ring seal was removed and new filter fully seated...

#4 ·
Update: The 3 feed bolts between the valve body and case were loose and needed to be tightened. Problem fixed...

#5 ·
Glad it was an easy fix.

#7 ·
All you've got to do is blow your nose, and it's fixed!

#8 ·
Yea...that's all I did...didn't cost me anything except a few Kleenex tissues. Great advice I received...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.