Serpentine belt - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Serpentine belt

Greetings all.
I have just replace the belt under 100 mile age and it is already showing signs of it shredding what gives? pulleys are not rough to the touch or around any of the other areas where it touches any ideas???? Thanks
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
idler pully bearings could be going. You need to remove the belt and check Idler ,tensioner and other relevant pulleys for bearing play or bad bushings.
95 E350 PSD HD Cargo , BB shim , E4OD , B&M aluminium Trans pan , Twin HD coolers , Cat sleeps with the fishes , 3:55 D60FF, EBPV Delete , DP flashed 60 Tow , 140 V idm , Autometer Triple pod , Bridgestone /Hankook
1977 F350 Dually Dump , 460 , 429 POLICE heads , 4:56 D70FF, Edelbrock Intake , Holley 850 , MSD IGN , Custom C-6 Trans , Dual Exhausts , Bridgestone
blageurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
A lot of times its the tensioner. When it goes bad, it will tilt just a tad, allowing the belt to shred at the edge after interfering with something (other pulleys, etc). Cheers!

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3” DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
Patrick Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 01:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Count the amount of grooves on your pulleys and then on your belt. Some years of trucks had 7 groove and some had 8 groove pulleys.
PowerStrokes And Duck Hunting-It Doesn't Get Any Better
eagleeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 07:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

I had the very same problem, turned out to be the water pump going bad. The water pump pulley was tilted letting the belt fray on one side. Replaced pump and no problems since.
97Mule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Send a message via ICQ to bigblue Send a message via Yahoo to bigblue
I had a bad idler pulley. Another time the vacuum pump mount was extremely loose.

bigblue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
A lot of times its the tensioner. When it goes bad, it will tilt just a tad, allowing the belt to shred at the edge after interfering with something (other pulleys, etc). Cheers!
That was my case, just change the tensioner and fixed the problem. but anyway Id check all the pulleys and WP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.