Serpentine Belt Popped Off... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007, 01:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Serpentine Belt Popped Off...

I searched the net and TDS. Is this diagram of a serpentine belt ('99+ PSD) the same as as a '95? I don't have the little diagram under my hood... It looks like two pieces came off on the passenger side of the engine. If I have a diagram, I can identify which pieces are gone and maybe someone can tell me if its within my limited mechanical ability/experience to fix or not? [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

I can't tell ya the last time I drove a truck without power steering or brakes - sure glad there are worse things that could have happened!
KMSCD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2007, 01:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Re: Serpentine Belt Popped Off...

No its not the same the SD accessories are reversed from the obs.

When you say two pieces came off, do you mean the idler pullies? or a bracket?

Drive Belt Routing
1995 F350 PSD,CC,LB,E4OD,4WDw4:10LS
IDM Corrosion
Underdash Gauge Pod
Front Tow Hooks
STurbo90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2007, 02:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Also the SD has a dual pulley tensioner, yours only has a single...
1997 F-250HD SuperCab●4x4●ZF-5●4.10●Tymar Intake●Wildman 6 Pos. Chip●SD Intercooler●17* HPOP●4 Straight Pipe w/5 Silverline Tip●3-Pillar Zeries Gauges (Pyro/Boost/Oil Temp)●3.5" RSK/D60/SD Springs●Ride Rite Rear Bags●Bilstein 5100 Shocks●315/75/R16 BFG A/T●Pro Comp XTreme Wheels --- SOLD 01/2011

2009 F-250 FX4 - Diesel - Crew Cab/Long Bed - 4" Pure Performance X-Factor Lift - 325/60/20 Goodyear Duratracs on Stock 20's
PSDfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2007, 02:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think its a couple of pullies...maybe a bracket...a diagram would really help. I could take pictures tomorrow. There isn't jack for lighting in front of this house and seeing it in the daylight would give me a better look to make sure I didn't miss anything else.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Look HERE

This is my first time posting a web page, hope it works.

dan
Mostly Stock, Shimmed Regulator, EBPV Exhaust Brake, TC Lock Switch, A/C mod., 165K miles, GPR monitor LED, Energy Suspension bushings, Dual Pulley Tensioner, DIY Baldwin by-pass filter, Baldwin Air Filter, Coolant Filter, Down Pipe, Firestone Front Airbags.
DanGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2007, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you guys! It looks like just the belt idler pulley came off. I'll check it out better and get some parts tomorrow when my roommates are around to give me a ride! Thank you again!
Old 12-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

That's funny. I just replaced my belt idler pulley in the last 100 miles of a 5,000 mile trip. Ran like a champ otherwise, 48 hours from Niagra Falls to West Texas. Funny thing is that the bearings were completely gone. I mean nowhere to be found. The idler pulley was riding on the metal bolt that holds it to the alternator bracket. It was just metal on metal, grooved to fit each other.

I pushed it an extra 50 miles in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere to get to the dealer. Maybe 30 bucks for the part and they loaned me the tools to swap it out. After taking the tension off the belt, the pulley just fell off the center bolt. These engines are amazing.

1996 F250 4x4 5-speed 4.10LS rear. 200k miles. Turbo gauge, gutted EBPV, cat?, 3x3.5" Hypermax DP, PA2818 open element air filter, shim/clean FPR, rebuilt turbo, 10k mod, GP relay mod.

1966 F100 352, 4spd, old-OBS
Marfarama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Go ahead and do yourself a favor and replace both the idler and the tensioner pulley while your at it. They are prone to bearing failure and they don't cost very much to replace.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'll check into the tensioner too. Thank you!
Old 12-09-2007, 09:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Are you doing this? How good is your skills or friends to help? There is an updated dual wheel version but you have to pull that big bracket off and cut a piece off, nothing precise. The single wheel idlers are weak and a poor design. The 99+ all have dual wheel tensioners. If you do go to the dual wheel there is a different belt that must be used, longer. If you go with the single wheel replace both idlers or bearings.
Old post - Dual wheel tensioner

Pics of before and after
Rockin S Performance BTS dealer
good-times.webshots.com/photo/2120855500037306169oDlfMF Well did you touch it?
Soaggydogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2007, 09:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bosefes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go ahead and do yourself a favor and replace both the idler and the tensioner pulley while your at it. They are prone to bearing failure and they don't cost very much to replace. </div></div>

To add: You can either buy the whole wheel assy and keep the old one as a spare. Or you can buy just the bearing (number?) and push old one out and new one in. Cheaper to replace just the bearing.
Rockin S Performance BTS dealer
good-times.webshots.com/photo/2120855500037306169oDlfMF Well did you touch it?
Soaggydogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2007, 04:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soaggydogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you doing this? How good is your skills or friends to help? There is an updated dual wheel version but you have to pull that big bracket off and cut a piece off, nothing precise. The single wheel idlers are weak and a poor design. The 99+ all have dual wheel tensioners. If you do go to the dual wheel there is a different belt that must be used, longer. If you go with the single wheel replace both idlers or bearings.</div></div>

Uhh, well, does changing spark plugs multiple times on a '97 and a '98 F-150 4.6L count as decent skills? [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

In this, the drive belt has two idler pulleys (which is what I have). Is this what you are referring to or a third idler pulley in addition to the other two?

I checked it over. The only pulley that came off is the passenger-side lower idler pulley. The center part of the pulley is still there with a bearing but the large part that the belt rests on is gone. The center part doesn't look right either. I can't explain it... If my roommates ever get home I'll be able to pick it up from Napa. Thanks guys.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

There are still the same number of pullys. But if you do the mod and install the 99+ tensioner, two of the pulleys are connected to the tensioning spring/hub instead of just one on the stock 94-97. The updated system puts more even stresses on the tensioner and it doesn't wear out as fast. Follow the the chain that Soaggydogg sent you, look closely at the pictures and I think you'll see the difference.

Dan
Mostly Stock, Shimmed Regulator, EBPV Exhaust Brake, TC Lock Switch, A/C mod., 165K miles, GPR monitor LED, Energy Suspension bushings, Dual Pulley Tensioner, DIY Baldwin by-pass filter, Baldwin Air Filter, Coolant Filter, Down Pipe, Firestone Front Airbags.
DanGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.