simply shut down - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
simply shut down

last Sunday, 11/4, I replaced all the hoses leading to and from the fuel canister while I was replacing the small O rings at the bottom of the canister. The amount of crap in the bottom of the canister was concerning, but not as much as the little wire that had come off. It looks like it was soldered to the bottom at one time but it was off when I removed the canister to get the gunk out of it. I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. Just tried to put it back. I replaced a vacuum line that I had pulled off when I replaced the down pipe with a Diamond Eye a while back. Had not been cold until today (11/9) Got down to about 27. I waited for the "wait to start" light to go off. she sputtered but eventually caught and ran for about 10 minutes at idle while i was scraping snow and ice off the windshield. Got in the truck, put her in gear and started for home. She simply shut down. simply stopped. Alternator was fine. Starter was fine. She turned over like she always does. Only this time the "wait to start" light didn't come on. Called insurance for road side hazard and got a tow home.
1) Could the fuel have gelled? Put diesel kleen it her last fuel up, the winter blend. Ran it in her all last winter and not even a hiccup when cold.
2) The little wire that should be tacked on the bottom of the canister, could that be the problem?
3) when I got home I plugged her in. Will look closer at her tomorrow.
4) what happens when the fuel gels? And what is the remedy to get her started after the fuel gels? I hope this is the problem. Any assistance or advice is appreciated.
twitchcvma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

the little wire inside is your fuel heater.
You can simply by-pass it unless you want to replace /
The fuel heater-wire inside- is grounding out and I bet it blew your #22 fuse on fender well, this supplies power to your pcm which tells the wait to start lite to come on to power up your glo plugs.
Look on the side of your fuel filter housing and you will see a gromitt wire, just pull it off the connector and leave loose, replace #22 fuse and then try to start.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

simply shut down

Thanks, Dave. Worked like a champ. started right up. I keep Diesel Kleen, the winter blend in the fuel all winter. That should keep the fuel from gelling in the canister as well, right? No real need for the fuel heater as long as the temp doesn't dip below well below freezing. I keep her plugged in at night during the winter. Sometimes it hits -10 to -17 in January at night here, then warms up the to...oh 10 - 17. No worries....right? Right?
Thanks again
twitchcvma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

I live in a cold climate too and have always used a fuel additive with anti gelling properties. But I also like to have my fuel heater functional as well- I think I am on my third one since I bought the truck new. I have never had a gelling problem but I like to have a functional fuel heater just to be on the safe side. Pete
Old 11-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have had the fuel heater dissconnected now for about 6 years and it can get pretty cold at times here, but not below 25 degrees and never had a problem, I dont always plug the truck in with the block heater and it starts up every time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.