Starter? Solenoid? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starter? Solenoid?

Hi all. The other day my truck would not start, it would just click once then nothing. If i kept turning the key to start eventually the starter would crank over and it would start. I had a look at the cable to the starter and it was loose. I went ahead and pulled the cable off and wire brushed all the connections and reassembled. Started fine. The next morning, same thing, one click, had to try about 30 times before it would turn over. Once it turns, it cranks the motor over pretty quick. The relay on the sidewall is fine. (I tried jumping the posts and got the same one click.) So, does this sound like a bad solenoid or does it sound like the starter itself?
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The actual starter solenoid is on the starter, the one on the fender only controls the key switch to it and not the power. You could have a bad winding or brushes on the starter. Try holding the key in the start position and see what happens, it may burn in a bad contact but it does sound like the starter is getting real close to needing a rebuild.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well, replaced the starter mounted solenoid and same thing. So after a new starter back in business. Now hopefully i can drive it for a while
Old 01-14-2013, 01:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

I am either having starter problems or ignition problems. I don't know how to post on these forums so I apoligize if I step on any feet. Here is the issue. I crank on the starter and the starter starts out slow and after about 5 seconds it then speeds up and the truck will start. During that 5 seconds of it cranking slow it has like a whining sound to it. I was at the store one day and the truck was not fully warmed up. I turned on the ignition and holy cow did it grind and I immediately shut it down. I then started it again and then it started fine. But this has been going on for months now and my mechanic claimed he had it repaired. It starts great when it's warm, but when it's cold it acts up on me as the starter starts on slow the first 5 seconds. I noted today it seems like the ignition switch maybe sticking a bit when I take my hand off of it. I had to slightly turn the switch back.
But with these problems I do not know if my starter is going out or my ignition switch is acting up.
If anyone can tell me the symptoms of the starter going I would appreciate it. I know I have that whining sound and it's slow to start the first 5 seconds. But I strongly feel it's something electrical. It's not draining on my batteries when I crank it.

Thanks,
Sue
coderblues is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Coderblues I'm gonna say start with checking the positive and negative cables for bad spots or corrosion. If nothin then check all terminals for tightness. If still nothing check the positive connection on the starter solenoid on the starter to make sure it is tight. I have a problem with the whole stud backing out of my solenoid. If all of that and the batteries check out then I'd say it's pretty safe to assume its the starter. You can take it out and have it tested at your local auto parts store but that may prove nothing as I don't believe they have a way to load test them as they should be. Hope this helps maybe someone else will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Meangreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.