Towing in Overdrive with E40D ???? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2005, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing in Overdrive with E40D ????

I have a 95'dully with a E40D transmission, 4.10 rearend. Is it ok to tow a heavy load in overdrive. I don't know if the truck has a towing package. I don't see any external transmission cooler. I bought it at 92k mi. The previous owner said he towed in overdrive. At about 115k mi I had to get the transmission rebuilt. I don't want to go through another transmission.
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2005, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Re: Towing in Overdrive with E40D ????

your not supposed to tow really heavy loads in od because if it downshifts from od to d it gets hard on the tranny and can cause it to over heat but ive always towed in od once im out on the flats or once i get goin a good clip down the road but if im comin up on a big hill ill drop it down to od to prevent it from shifting on me.
95 f-250 444e e4od 4X4 ex cab long bed 3.55ls White Knight Reverse Lights, AIC, FORD seatcovers, AFE STAGE2 INTAKE, 3" downpipe 4" exhuast, EDGE Evolution 100hp setting, auto meter ultra lite pyro, tranny and boost gauges, .177bb in FPR, amsoil atf in transmission & tcase, amsoil syn gear lube in rear diff, bilstien shocks, fog lights, 1000cca batteries
************future mods*******************
intercooler, smaller turbo housing, window tinting
03 vw jetta tdi stock for now
traxmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2005, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

As you mentioned you will definetely want the stacked plate external cooler to keep the tranny temps in check. Also a tranny temp gauge is a must to keep an eye on the E4OD. I tow in overdrive all the time as mentioned before if it strarts hunting put it back into drive until terrain allows O.D. again. Hope this helps!
Justin

SOLD
2000 F-350 XLT CC SRW CC PSD, 249,000+Miles, 6 Speed trans with Luk Con-O-FE clutch, 4" ATS Straight piped, Tymar style intake, Ready to start modding.
Meridian Motorsports Dyno Jet 5/13/2006
219 HP 457 TQ

SOLD:
Lifted 95 F-350 XLT Crew Cab Srw Lwb Psd, 268,000 + miles, 35*12.50*16.5 Trail Cutter Radial RT,4.10's, BABY SWAMPS, Humped HPOP, Homeade Tymar setup with custom 4" intake, Gutted EBPV, Modified turbo pedistal, 1.0 turbine housing, CTI AIC, Auto Meter Lunar gauges, BDP 5 position chip, Complete Alpine sound system, Automatic, Billet torque converter, Tru Cool 28,000 lb external trans cooler, Bully Dog down pipe, 5" twin turnout stacks, 6.0 intercooler with custom built pipes, Optima red top batteries, Wanting more mods!!!
My webshots homepage
Bully Dog Dog Days Of Summer Dyno Pull 7/9/2005
347 hp 660 torque
BIGRED95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2005, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

I agree with Bigred on this one! Get yourself a good sized tranny cooler (most come with a small one) to keep the fluid as cool as possible.
I've had a transmission temperature fluid gauge for some time now, and that way you always know just how hot it really is.
Towing my 26' travel trailer up some of the steepest hills around, I've never seen my gauge over 195 F, and you certainly don't want to "boil" your fluid!

I always tow in OD, but in saying that, I've gotten to know my truck real well, since I've owned it for nearly 10 years now, and I know when to take it out of OD, by the RPM the engine is at. With my larger injectors, I can tow up most hills, even at a 6% - 8% grade in OD, but I DO watch my Pyrometer along with my RPM's, and lock out OD if my speed starts to slow down.

So, with a set of gauges, it makes the job of locking out OD much easier, along with listening to the engine...as you'll hear when it starts to "labor" which is when its time to take it out of OD.

Dale
Old 03-22-2005, 07:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

[ QUOTE ]
your not supposed to tow really heavy loads in od because if it downshifts from od to d it gets hard on the tranny

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not the downshift that's hard on it, it is frequent downshifts and upshifts.

Towing in OD is fine as long as you don't get excessive shifting.
Casey_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.