Transmission Slip - - Code P1728 ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Slip - - Code P1728 ?

My truck is setting Code P1728. I can clear the code and it will shift normally until it gets to the point where it should lock-up the converter then sets the code. I had to drive 300+ miles to get it home and it made it ok but I'm at a loss on this. The code says Trans Slipping but it shifts so normally after clearing the code. A couple days ago it set a KAM and P1728. And about a month ago it set a Turboboost code & P1728 ( I can't find the number I wrote down for that turbo code) when it did that I pulled the pan and changed the oil & filter and drained the TC too and all was well until now.

Is there a solenoid or relay or something that could be a problem? Does this sound like a path that some of you have experienced before? The truck has 223K miles on it and is maintained religiously with the normal oil and trans services done more often than necessary and the trans fluid always comes out looking great and no burnt smell or anything metallic in the pan or on the magnet.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. If anyone needs more info describing this just let me know.. thanks a lot in advance.

behoof
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2007, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Re: Transmission Slip - - Code P1728 ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: behoof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can clear the code and it will shift normally until it gets to the point where it should lock-up the converter then sets the code.</div></div>
There's your answer. It's the torque converter, though it is possible that it is the torque converter solenoid, or even the torque converter control valve in the valve body. My money is on the torque converter itself.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2007, 11:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm wondering what kind of damage if any I could do to this trans with having to drive it like it is until I can afford to do the necessary repairs?

What I mean is, until I can figure out for sure what is wrong and get the necessary parts to do the job?

Like I was saying, this truck has about 223K on it so is there anything in particular I could look for that may be an easy fix? You mention solenoid pack and valve, are they redily available or is this trans shop stuff? I've rebuilt a bunch of 700R's, 400 & 350THM's but never messed with one of these.

Your thoughts on all this?

behoof
Old 11-20-2007, 12:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Here is a link to a post I made about this a while back:

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/foru...397522&fpart=1

Good Luck [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
2004 Outlander Max 400HO (mine)
2004 Rally 200 (hers)
2004 Grizzly 80 (sons)
fitzgood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2007, 08:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)

The most common cause of the slip code is a crack in the apply piston of the torque converter clutch. This allows pressure to leak around the piston, reducing the force that holds the converter locked. Once slip hits 50 RPM a code is set, the light flashes, etc.

If you keep driving it the friction material will glaze and it will start setting the code more often. Usually there isn't any damage to anything outside the torque converter.

If you want to try the solenoid and the valve, they are both in the pan. The trans doesn't need to come out to remove these.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2007, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mark,

Thanks for the reply, you've got a PM
Old 11-23-2007, 12:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Does anyone have a torque converter for this truck? Or do you know of a place that sells replacement auto transmission parts in this area or the Detroit Area? Thanks

I'm in SE Michigan, in the Yale / Detroit Area.

E4OD/4R100 1996 7.3L TD F250 4x4
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.