truck pulls to the left when braking!! tried everything!! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
truck pulls to the left when braking!! tried everything!!

hey everone,

so my truck pulls to the left when braking, it started about 1 month ago , i pulled into a gas station and my passenger side brakes were smoking and smellt like burnig brakes. That night i noticed a leak under the drivers side wheel.
ive changed the2 front calipers, 2 new brake hoses, adjusted the rear drumbs, bled the brake system. checked suspension for worn parts,
NO LUCK!!

truck still pulls to the left, tailwhips, jerks my steering wheel !!

1997 f-350 powerstroke diesel with over 250000 miles. Flatbed.

im having my rotors turned and going to install new pads right now, but for the meantime any ideas?

pls help!!

thanks.
zalez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
i dont see anywhere that you either greased or replaced the slide pins.its a common issue that the slide pins will freeze in the caliper bracket,so even if you replace a caliper if the pin is frozen its still not going to allow proper caliper travel.
red elc good for 150k
4r100 1-2 2-3 3-4sonnax accumulator valves,.427 sonnax line pressure mod valve
4.125"yes thats 4 1/8" diy tymar intake(size matters...lol)
AIH delete,ccv delete,zoodad mod,
4" exhaust no muff
built my own leafs for 4.0 of lift!!!!!!
18" xd bronze revolvers with 325 nittos to wrap them
isspro pyro and boost guages on pillar mount....
tattoocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

I just offer this up as a possibility: when I changed my ball joints I did the driver side first and took it for a spin and noticed it pulled to the passenger side. So, if your driver side ball joint is more worn, or looser, or more greased than the passenger side, that may explain why it is pulling to the left. I would also look at possible tire wear differences.

2000 F350 4x4, AIS, 203F Tstat, SS EGR Tube
robertth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Remove the master cylinder ans check for corrosion holdign up the MC pushrod....basically keeping the brakes on slightly...

clean all corrosion and reinstall or better yet, clean all corrosion and replace MC too.
tweener is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 12:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

HUMMMM a puzzler to be sure...Have you checked for an lost or broken suspension parts? As I recall, the radius rod ( for lack of knowing what it is called) that connects the front axel to the frame. Right under the drivers seat, with a couple of big ole rubber biscuits and a couple of washers and a nut... Check that out and see if all that stuff is there. A washer has broken and fell out of my 97 and all it does is make it clunk on a dirt road and I am sure that it is messsing up my alignment. But maybe something bigger broke and fell out on yours... if that were the case then brake pressure would make that left front wheel come back and change the steering geometry,,,,maybe enough to produce the symptoms you describe.
92 F-250 4X4 W/ 35 in mudders 5.8 gas
TC 45 New Holland tractor Diesel
Old green 20 ft goosneck stock trailer
97 F-350 7.3 4 door dually
NOT pictured are the 68 Ford 2000 Tractor that I grew up on, and the 73 F100 of my son's. I also have a new addition, an 92 E-350 in 5.8 gas
Of all the things I've ever lost I miss my mind the most!

97 F-350 Dually
Superchips 1705 (does anybody do this one anymore?)
K&N Intake
Hayden Tranny cooler (The Biggest they make!)
Boost Relief (not that I have needed it LOL!)
GlowShift A pillar gauges
Straight Piped (Not yet Illegal in my neck of the woods!)

Want:
Big Injectors
More Power
More Reliability
More Mpg
(An oxy-moron I know!!!)
GA Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm having the same problem. tried everything.. replaced the driver's side outer tie-rod end per recommendation of alignment shop, changed all rotors, disks, pads, and shoes. The steering was off center but the shop says the specs are right in where they should be. Rotated tires.. still had the pull.

I did notice that the brakes were getting hot, like only the front brakes were doing the work. And, someone that looked at the front disks verifed that they appear to look scored. Now the smoking and brake burning smell is gone but it just doesn't feel right and I feel the brake pedal pulsating when I brake.

I think I found the problem with the pull on my particular rig. Two things: First, the Firestone guys say one of my rear leaf spring bushings is shot and it may be causing torque pull. Second, I have Air Lifts up front that I don't use but apparently the left one had about 30lbs in it and the right one was empty.. has a leak and won't hold pressure. I emptied the left one too and the steering wheel is nearly straight now ,and it tracks pretty decent. I think I need a wheel balance, that rear bushing, and a new alignment. Hope that works.
1996 Centurion C350 7.3L Powerstroke, Banks Transcommand, 3" SS Silver Line Down Pipe, front Air Lift bags, Local Remaned trans, Racer X Triple Billet TC, custom Racer X accumulator body, Rebuilt Turbo with Banks Wheel and 1.00 Turbine, Isspro boost, Pyro and Trans gauges, 3 Gauge Piller pod, Fumoto oil drain valve, Straight piped exhaust, DIESELSITE 203* Thermostat, Replaced PCM (true TDE1), Banks Stinger Plus Chip, EBPV delete, Kelly Safari TSRs 315/75 R16s, Reverse Shackle Kit with X-codes and B-codes.
City Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

brake pull

ok i see that you have done the calipers and hoses thats good humor me this, have your bled the system properly(right rear,left rear,right front,left front)if you have and have no air in the system, take the lines off at the calipers and do a drip test get ya a pan and stick it under the hoses if they drip the same amount try a pressure test have your child/wife/girlfriend or buddy press the brake pedal and see if you have a pressure differance you may have a failing prop valve or dibris in theline
Mrfixit84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.