Turbo exchange - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo exchange

Alright so I'm wondering if I can add a turbo with a wastegate to my truck, I'm currently just running my stock turbo which is non wastegated. Will adding this affect my engine temp? Will I need a better intake?
Or would it just be better to keep a non wastegated turbo on it?
DIY Intake
Boost Gauge
delta7503 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
All the wastegate does is limit top end boost. I think at one time you could get a wastegate housing, but I guess I don't see the point. What do you hope it will do or help with?
AaronSEIA

97 F350 4 door dually, E4OD, DIY intake
only exhaust is stock DP
flatbed
gutless wonder, I want my 94 back!!!
AaronSEIA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well, to be honest.. newer trucks have them so i thought it would be an upgrade. Doesnt it help build boost faster? right now i feel like i have no boost so i was looking into the turbo, going to pull it off and either rebuild or replace it here soon.
DIY Intake
Boost Gauge
Old 01-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Before you do that check the Up-pipes for soot deposits at the connections and tighten all Intake clamps...It can also be the o-ring between the Turbo Outlet and the Wye intake...Do you have a guage ?
95 E350 PSD HD Cargo , BB shim , E4OD , B&M aluminium Trans pan , Twin HD coolers , Cat sleeps with the fishes , 3:55 D60FF, EBPV Delete , DP flashed 60 Tow , 140 V idm , Autometer Triple pod , Bridgestone /Hankook
1977 F350 Dually Dump , 460 , 429 POLICE heads , 4:56 D70FF, Edelbrock Intake , Holley 850 , MSD IGN , Custom C-6 Trans , Dual Exhausts , Bridgestone
blageurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Newer trucks have them because they have more fuel than the turbo can take. A variable vane turbo will spool faster, but all a wastegate does is dump exhaust at a pre set boost level, effectively limiting boost no matter how much more fuel you add. A 1.0 or .84 intake housing will spool faster. I'll second the gauge. Cheap and easy to install. Should see 17 or so lbs max.
AaronSEIA

97 F350 4 door dually, E4OD, DIY intake
only exhaust is stock DP
flatbed
gutless wonder, I want my 94 back!!!
AaronSEIA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blageurt View Post
Before you do that check the Up-pipes for soot deposits at the connections and tighten all Intake clamps...It can also be the o-ring between the Turbo Outlet and the Wye intake...Do you have a guage ?
The "Up Pipes" are on the backside of the turbo by the firewall correct? In this instance i would be looking for a boost leak right?
Gauges, i dont have any yet... i was contemplating just boost or if i should go all out and get a set..
DIY Intake
Boost Gauge
Old 01-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Yes they are...look for soot stains at the connections....Not a boost leak but an exhaust leak..boost leaks are on the Intake side....( on Top of the engine)
95 E350 PSD HD Cargo , BB shim , E4OD , B&M aluminium Trans pan , Twin HD coolers , Cat sleeps with the fishes , 3:55 D60FF, EBPV Delete , DP flashed 60 Tow , 140 V idm , Autometer Triple pod , Bridgestone /Hankook
1977 F350 Dually Dump , 460 , 429 POLICE heads , 4:56 D70FF, Edelbrock Intake , Holley 850 , MSD IGN , Custom C-6 Trans , Dual Exhausts , Bridgestone
blageurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.