Turn signals work but no brake lights? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2006, 06:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turn signals work but no brake lights?

Basically the subject sums it up. Turn signals work but not brake lights? I thought that if you have turn sigs then the brakes work and vice versa? Aren't they tied in?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Esson
2000, F350 Lariat, CC, Blue, At 110k miles (Oct 09) TRC Auto Trans, 4x4, Tymar Intake, Banks EGT, Tranny Temp and Boost A pillar gauges. Banks chipped, and exhausted. DIY LED Cab lights. 05 style Headlights. Marinco Mod

"When it's upsidedown and burning, you've gone too fast."
"Customer Service is an ATTITUDE!!...not a department!"
Corey Esson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2006, 09:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Turn signals work but no brake lights?

I didn't think this was possible either, but i just had the same trouble and put in a new brake switch. Fixed the problem.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (46)

If you have a tilt steering wheel it may be in the column. Tilt the steering wheel all of the way down & see if the brake lights work. If they don't work, tilt the column all of the way up and check it again. On mine it ended up being a connection in the column to the multi-function switch. When the wheel was in the 'bus driver' position the brake lights worked, when the wheel was in the down position the brake lights did not work. The turn signals worked regardless.
'97 F350 CC, XLT, 4WD off road, 4.10, Milemarker manual hubs, Suncoast E40D w/ Bob Riley's (Dieselsite) remote filter & Triple Lock Torque Converter, Hypermax H2, BABY SWAMP'S! Swamp's 20* HPOP, Head Studs, TS 4 position chip w/ Bill's programming, Banks Intercooler. Ceramic coated up-pipes and down pipe. Triple pillar w/ Isspro boost, trans temp and digital EGT gauges. 4" Exhaust. 45gal Transfer flow rear tank. Dale Isley's HX mod. Joe Servo's IDM mod. Bob Riley's coolant filter, Coolant "T", Evans Coolant, A/C mod. Velvet-Ride's, Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks. TSM's rear disc brake kit. Frozen/ Slotted front rotors with Hawk Pads. Centramatic Wheel Balancers & 285/75/16 Michelin LTX/MS. Interior sound deadening (what a difference!).
BLDITRT1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2006, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Brake lights are powered by the brake light switch on the brake pedal arm.
The voltage from the BLS is routed through the turn signal switch, then to the brake/turn lights.
When you activate the turn signal switch, it breaks the brake light circuit to the selected circuit (right/left) and completes the turn signal circuit.

So you could have a defective brake light switch or a defective multi-switch(turn signal switch.
Brad52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2006, 03:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Mark and LWC, thanks a million! I'll have a look-see at the steering column up-down in the morning as yes I do have a tilt wheel.

LWC, where is the brake switch located at?

I think I have a bad master cylinder as when I'm sitting at a light/sign my pedal seeps downward and sometimes I have to really apply extra pressure when stopping, also my brake light comes on. Have new brakes all the way around and my booster is pulling 16" of vacuum.

Esson
2000, F350 Lariat, CC, Blue, At 110k miles (Oct 09) TRC Auto Trans, 4x4, Tymar Intake, Banks EGT, Tranny Temp and Boost A pillar gauges. Banks chipped, and exhausted. DIY LED Cab lights. 05 style Headlights. Marinco Mod

"When it's upsidedown and burning, you've gone too fast."
"Customer Service is an ATTITUDE!!...not a department!"
Corey Esson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.