The Diesel Stop banner

U-joints

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  BlackBeauty96 
#1 ·
Already so heres the deal i have had my 96 f-250 for a year and have replaced almost everything on the front end but at either a slow roll or sitting still and i turn the wheel something in the front pops.... i have been to a shop and they can't figure it out but i talked to a friend and he said maybe its the u joints in the front axles not allowing them to privet.. does this sound right to anyone.... also i am pretty sure my truck is about due for the u joints in the front driveshaft to be replaced so i might as well do the rear to does anyone recommend any good u joints to replace them with thanks in advance Dan

#2 ·
Before you go throwing a bunch of money at your front end try tightening the fender bolts right by the hood hinge.

Loose bolts will make the pop you mention.

#3 ·
well the good news is that the bolts were loose and i tightened them but the bad news is that it did not stop my popping noise at all so anyone else ever had this going on in there truck

#4 ·
Not sure what you have all replaced but mine popped when the shackle bushings were shot. Replaced those and the popping went away for a while. Recently returned when the lower front shock bushings were worn out.

#6 ·
alright thanks for the input and gordb do you remember how much that was to get that done because i know the ford stealership out here charges 100 an hour

#7 ·
No i dont know the cost as it was done on warranty many moons ago.Are you able to prove this, maybe lying on the ground with your hand feeling where it is coming from when somebody else is turning the wheel back and forth.Just looked at my truck and there was only one rivet replaced by a bolt and it is on the rear spring mount for the front left spring, the rear rivet. Doesn't look all that hard to do.

#8 ·
My truck is a 1996 F350 I did alot of front end work as well, i think i would try the axle joints like you said, check to make sure you calipers are good, and also check to make sure your U-Bolts are tight the axle could be slightly moving around.

#9 ·
yea i checked the u bolts on the front and back end so more then likely it could be the u joints in the axles and you coud be the rivet so i guess if i ever get a job come my way that will be one of the many things i would like to do with the truck thanks

#11 · (Edited)
Looking forward to that procedure myself. Thanks a bunch for the link to the TSB gordb. Thought I had it bookmarked but couldn't find it the other day.

#12 ·
yea more then likely i will do that first since it is easy enough

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.