what does a going out injector sound like? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2007, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what does a going out injector sound like?

I'm not sure what's going on with my 7.3L. But the other day in the morning when starting it, it sounded like a motor sounds when a plug is out when you turn it over. Hard to describe.

Then while towing the next day under load in OD at 55mph it made this loud ticking noise coming from the passanger side. But only at speed in OD. Sounded like an old 350 chevy with a loose rocker. But after about 20 miles it just went away.

Since then no weird sounds or symptoms. I'm just looking for anyone who's had experience with noises like this. I have stock injectors with 187k on them. Any ideas?

Thanks
BullyDogTripple Dog Downloader w/Outlook Monitor, Banks Intercooler & Exhaust, kitty ran off, Volant cold air intake.
Brians97F250Crew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2007, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: what does a going out injector sound like?

sometime the armature screws can break or loosen causing the injector not to fire. It can make clattering noises.
Does the truck have power?
if not you most likely have a bad injector.
you can remove the valve covers and look to see if there is oil coming out of them if no oil the injector is most likely bad.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks SanAntonio78 ... I got a buddy with a big money Snap-On scanner and we're gonng do a buzz test and cylinder contribution test.
BullyDogTripple Dog Downloader w/Outlook Monitor, Banks Intercooler & Exhaust, kitty ran off, Volant cold air intake.
Brians97F250Crew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2007, 10:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Send a message via Skype™ to SteveBaz

Yep a injector buzz and contribution test from any good scanner and it will cycle through and give you specific issues to focus on. How many miles are on your truck? Stock OEM injectors? Does it have the stock o-rings or the updated ones? How about a bit more info if possible?

Good luck,
Maddog Stage 2 Injectors, Superchips 70 horse power chip w/130 Torq, ISSPRO Gauges
in A-Pillar Pyrometer & Boost, Dash Cluster - Oil Pressure, Water Temp, Trans Temp, Hypermax Down Pipe, TYMAR, Nathan P-3 Train Horns, ViAir Air Onboard Compressor, ViAir 2 Gallon Air Tank & Air Tool Valve

BAZ's Tips N' Tricks
http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/949...vebaz/tips.htm

BAZ's Web Pictures
http://community.webshots.com/user/stevebaz?start=0
SteveBaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.