What is a good way to tell if a starter is going bad? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2006, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is a good way to tell if a starter is going bad?

I think my starter is getting weak. Is there a way you can tell if it is or not? Can AutoZone check it? I would think they could only tell if it was bad or not. Like I said it just feels weak.

http://community.webshots.com/myphot...ecurity=XaZGam
Got4wd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2006, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: What is a good way to tell if a starter is going bad?

They can be load tested. I think AZ can do it.

You want around 200 rpm or more for starting. If you're not getting that, and you're sure your batteries, cables, and connections are good, then consider the starter.

Good luck

Purchased new; 180k miles; stock except: coolant filter, real flywheel & clutch, GPR
strangwz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2006, 11:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have found that it does not turn over to fast when hot.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

If you need a new starter, go on ebay and get a 4kw starter for about $150. It was a huge improvement on my truck. Cold cranking is no problem with the starter.

Mike
2005 F350 Lariat CC SB 6.0L 145k White, Edge CTS w/EGT, coolant filter, blue spring, HFCM drain plug, CAT-1 EL coolant, rebuilt oil cooler, reconditioned turbo, Bulletproof EGR cooler, T6 5w40 oil, Upgraded: STC fitting, turbo in/out oil pipes, standpipe & dummy plug.
mikek6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2006, 05:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

How old are your batteries? I was concerned last summer about starter. Went and got 2 new batteries and problem solved. I still had original batteries and they were getting tired. Starter spun like a top after new batteries.
1997 F-250 XLT EXTA-CAB, 7.3 P.S.D., 2-wheel dr., 108,000 miles, E40D trans., 4:10 rear., DIESEL INNOVATION 4 position CHIP, JoeServo IDM MOD, Tymar intake & HPX Hose, SONNEX Accumulator Valve & Tricumulator Springs, Tru-cool tranny cooler. Trans,Pyro(pre-Turbo)& Boost gauges,down pipe w/ 4" exhaust on back. Kitty gone, Non-existing EBPV. 99 intercooler w/ gtspowerstroke tubes. Pull 28 ft 5th wheel and 17 ft boat,in tandem. Including truck, everything together weighs 18,080 lb's. http://community.webshots.com/user/ksfishman100
fishman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2006, 09:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
How old are your batteries? I was concerned last summer about starter. Went and got 2 new batteries and problem solved. I still had original batteries and they were getting tired. Starter spun like a top after new batteries.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are brand new yellow top walmart batteries.

http://community.webshots.com/myphot...ecurity=XaZGam
Got4wd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2006, 11:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yes AutoZone can test your starter. I 'believe' you have to remove it though. Removing the starter isn't hard to do. Just remember to disconnect the batteries first...don't ask how I know. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug, Riffraff FRx Kit. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster & inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.
Griz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2006, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

I had mine tested at autozone according to them results were good. Still I had starting problems. Replaced both batterys still problems. New starter and problem is gone. The old starter would not spin fast eough to fire. Good luck....Brent [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2006, 10:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
If you need a new starter, go on ebay and get a 4kw starter for about $150. It was a huge improvement on my truck. Cold cranking is no problem with the starter.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

^WARNING^

I bought one of those $150 dollar starters....and it only lasted a week... HOWEVER the guy was very good about it. I sent the starter back and he sent my money back... Just something to think about... I could have just gotten a vacationing starer! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2006, 09:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

I had a Slow spinning starter problem. Went to wally World to have batteries checked and they replaced one of the batteries. Still had a every slow and some times locking up starter (no start). Took the start off and took to Oreilly's auto parts for life time replacement. They tested the starter and it spun. Said starter was good. I said I was buying for a big account of theirs and machanic said it was bad. They tested the new starter and it spun much faster. They warranteed a new starter. Put it on and the truck starts like new. I wonder if the bad battery could have caused the starter problem? I understand that low power to electrical tools burn them up. Also the starter is easy except for top bolt I cut an open end boxed end wrench in half to get to that top bolt. I must admit I once installed the starter in wrong position so that it could not engage. Three bolts form equallateral triangle.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (21)

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a way you can tell if it is or not? Can AutoZone check it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, this is my old Redneck way of checking to see if it's a starter or Battery Problem.

Have a friend sit in the driverís seat and you stand in front of the truck. Have them turn the headlights then crank the motor over.
1. If your headlights dim a lot while cranking, then it's the batt's.
2. If your headlights just barely dim while cranking the starter, then it's your starter.
Hope this helps.
JIM
Toys/Blown Head Gasket
Drag Videos
motor/turbo/fuelsystem pics
Traction Bars
Father & Son Time
THE_ALASKAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.