7.3 Muffler Delete? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Muffler Delete?

Hey Guys, I have a 97 PSD 7.3 and I was thinking of getting a muffler delete pipe for it. What are the pro's and con's of doing this? I have seen alot of post about doing it to the 6.0 and not so much about the 7.3.

1985 Ford Ranger 2.8 v6 Bone Stock and it couldn't pull a stick around
'97 F250 7.3 Powerstroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
This is something I want to do very soon.

I think it would be a plus to delete it, better exhuast flow, cooler temps, and a bit better gas milege...
97F3504x4green is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
10+

My Photos: (9)
I'm in for that.. Exit right before rear tire? What four or five inch pipe? I have a 2" body lift on the wish list just to clear the larger down pipe it would be nice to skip the cat and muffler..
Old 12-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
I would love to bring it out right at the tire!! never thought about that. I am sticking with the stock 3.5 inch exhaust until i can afford to replace EVERYTHING with 4". I just can't seem to find the 3.5" pipe to do it with. i checked muffler shops and hardware stores but nothing! Any sugestions?

1985 Ford Ranger 2.8 v6 Bone Stock and it couldn't pull a stick around
'97 F250 7.3 Powerstroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2010, 05:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've seen them on ebay.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
Bring it out before the tire and you will soot your tire and bedside.
drinkypoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
10+

I thought about shortening everything because I could re-purpose the old exit. Just less the muffler. Mine has the Cat about 30" of pipe the Muffler then over the rear axle and 90 degree out. If I remove the muffler and just pull everything back to the CAT hook up it should work with minimal fab. I also tapped on my CAT and she sounds 100% solid like no hallow effect. If the rain stays away today I may take a closer look snap some pics and report back. Sure wish I could weld. I would make a CAT delete pipe.. Hmm, muffler shop in town maybe a quick drive into town this afternoon.. I'd pay 30.00 for the pipe..
Old 12-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Depending on how you use your rig (daily driver vs pulling), I would point out that the factory muffler is a straight-through design, so very little back-pressure. For performance help, get rid of the factory down-pipe and cat. TYMAR Performace out of Spokane, WA can set you up with the down and delete pipes quite resonably. Now if its noise you're after.....ditch the muffler!
'94 1/2 F250 4x4, SuperCab XLT, 5 spd, SMF w/ Valaeo clutch, 4.10 (syn. lube), Cenex Maxtron 5W40 Syn, manual hubs, B&W Gooseneck hitch, Toyo M-55 tires in 235/85R16, authentic TYMAR intake, 4" AFE exhaust, FRP mod., SD starter, Isspro boost/pyro,digital thermometer, homebuilt exhaust brake, 178K "Its only a pickup. Trucks have a button on the shifter!"
tbeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2010, 11:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeck View Post
Depending on how you use your rig (daily driver vs pulling), I would point out that the factory muffler is a straight-through design, so very little back-pressure. For performance help, get rid of the factory down-pipe and cat. TYMAR Performace out of Spokane, WA can set you up with the down and delete pipes quite resonably. Now if its noise you're after.....ditch the muffler!

As soon as the funds are available Tymar will be hearing from me.. With everything I read HE is the only guy for me and Big RED.. For now I try do to what I can with what I have..CAT must go and the muffler isn't doing anything anyway so sawzall and good by.. That down pipe I have to pay for though.. I would like to do a CAT delete pipe just in case Emission regs hit me here in TX..

My pops pulled his exhaust off and put a intake system on his Dodge and bam the state popped him on everything.. Would have cost him 3K but thankfully there is a group of guys that can be paid to look the OTHER way..
Old 12-28-2010, 12:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The talk about re-routing the exhaust to in front of the rear wheel got me to remembering. Dad had a '85 250 with the 6.9L, we bought it a year old, 19000 miles. Some kid had it and traded, dual exhaust out in front of the rear wheels with glass-pack mufflers! That damn thing would bark! But, the exhaust helped as that pickup always had more oomph and fuel economy than the others like it in the neighborhood. Old green burned up at the 350K mark, dad figured that was the most economical pickup he had ever owned- purchase price, upkeep, fuel, and insurance settlement!
'94 1/2 F250 4x4, SuperCab XLT, 5 spd, SMF w/ Valaeo clutch, 4.10 (syn. lube), Cenex Maxtron 5W40 Syn, manual hubs, B&W Gooseneck hitch, Toyo M-55 tires in 235/85R16, authentic TYMAR intake, 4" AFE exhaust, FRP mod., SD starter, Isspro boost/pyro,digital thermometer, homebuilt exhaust brake, 178K "Its only a pickup. Trucks have a button on the shifter!"
tbeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
10+

Well, I went out and removed the tail pipe section and the muffler. The muffler is just what Tbeck said a through pipe with little to zero back pressure. Damn thing weighs a ton to. Now I just need to get this rain to stop so I can remove the last two bolts and remove the CAT. I talked to a local guy and he said Orielly's carries misc bits and pieces for exhaust systems. For this little project I don't need much just a mounting bracket about 6" of pipe and I should be able to reuse a mounting bracket and the 90 degree sweep. If I am lucky they will have the two bolt flange and the rest is gravy.. Once the rain stops I will snap some pics of the old parts.

G$
Old 12-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
10+

Looking at the OEM down pipe its a wonder any airflow gets through that thing.. Man can't wait to dump that pinched mess..
Old 12-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

I read the thread wrong, I want to delete the cat, not the muffler!!...and put on down pipe with DIY air cleaner.

I want to save the cat in case of regs changing here in CA for smog...so cat delete pipe it is
97F3504x4green is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
10+

Your in good old Taxifornia.. I would hang on to that CAT for sure..
Old 12-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by '97 F250 7.3 Powerstroke View Post
I would love to bring it out right at the tire!! never thought about that. I am sticking with the stock 3.5 inch exhaust until i can afford to replace EVERYTHING with 4". I just can't seem to find the 3.5" pipe to do it with. i checked muffler shops and hardware stores but nothing! Any sugestions?
semi tractor shop!!
94 f250 idi turbo sc e4od alum fac rims 149,289 --dana 60 frt with posi--10.25 rear w/posi--shouldnt get stuck!! ats turbo 3" parts on--what a diff from stock turbo!!!!!--- also 96 F250 with 305,000 is fixed!!-- 7.3 rattler-also 85 6.9-needs new engine!! tired!!
94_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.