Ambulance alt. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ambulance alt.

Merry Christmas all. I have a 95 with a powerstroke that I plow with. I put on a big alt. and worked pretty good. Now when I am plowing and turn off the truck, when I start it back up it won't charge. Next day it charges fine. Sometimes it will start charging after driving for a while. The glow plug relay is not staying on. I know that the truck won't charge until the glow plug relay turns off. It's like the computer won't let it charge. I can't see the alt. doing it because, it charges later. Anybody else ever have this problem, or any ideas? Thanks for your help. Ross

95 F350 4x4 XLT Lariat PSD E4OD 4:10 LS Camper package purch Mar 95 Command start, super chip(died),BD 3" downpipe & 4" cat back,cat cleaned, switched EBPV,shimmed fpr 76 psi,Homemade open air intake & HX hose,Pillar mount Autometer pyro boost & trans temp. gauges,2-Trucool 4590, B&M trans filter,Sparky AIC plus extra relay for command start,BFG AT 285/75/16. Western Wideout snowplow.Airbags frt + rear
Wifes truck 2004 F350 CC 4x4 Lariat 6.0 L Auto 373ls 285/75/16 BFG AT adj. pedals,AIC camper package,Ford gold starter, Air Raid air filter.
99.5 F350 4x4 Lariat sc PSD Dually, command start, homemade open air filter,zoodad mod,6.0 trans cooler,DTT trans,Mag-Hytec trans pan,Pillar mount Autometer gauges, 4" stainless exhaust(chinese MBRP copy?),Aero 4040XL Muffler, DP Tuner F6, ATS ported turbo housing, Tightened wastegate rod, Boost regulator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 07:06 AM

My Photos: (2)
Sounds like a loose connection to me. I don't think the pcm has anything to do with charging.
AaronSEIA

My Truck:

97 F250 4 door shortbed, E4OD
DIY intake
Kingpin Dana 60
otherwise stock
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:09 AM

I see exactly the same behavior. The Ambulance alternator is a brushless design...that may have something to do with it. I never noticed about the backing up being related to it, but I will pay attention to that now.

I don't think it is a bad connection. Once it starts charging, it works peachy.

Turning the lights on/off doesn't help. Cycling the ignition (manual transmission at speed, so not using the starter) doesn't help. This makes me think it is not the PCM. Cycling the ignition should re-boot the computer.

I think I started noticing this when my batteries got "iffy"...barely cranks over enough to start when cold out. I suspect that after a cold start the charge demand is so high that the alternator field may get collapsed, or maybe there is a thermal cutoff switch in the alternator that trips it out for a while....and I may well just be blowing smoke.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

I don't know. I checked the connections, same thing. The batteries are 4 years old, but it starts good. Although it is parked in a heated shop.

95 F350 4x4 XLT Lariat PSD E4OD 4:10 LS Camper package purch Mar 95 Command start, super chip(died),BD 3" downpipe & 4" cat back,cat cleaned, switched EBPV,shimmed fpr 76 psi,Homemade open air intake & HX hose,Pillar mount Autometer pyro boost & trans temp. gauges,2-Trucool 4590, B&M trans filter,Sparky AIC plus extra relay for command start,BFG AT 285/75/16. Western Wideout snowplow.Airbags frt + rear
Wifes truck 2004 F350 CC 4x4 Lariat 6.0 L Auto 373ls 285/75/16 BFG AT adj. pedals,AIC camper package,Ford gold starter, Air Raid air filter.
99.5 F350 4x4 Lariat sc PSD Dually, command start, homemade open air filter,zoodad mod,6.0 trans cooler,DTT trans,Mag-Hytec trans pan,Pillar mount Autometer gauges, 4" stainless exhaust(chinese MBRP copy?),Aero 4040XL Muffler, DP Tuner F6, ATS ported turbo housing, Tightened wastegate rod, Boost regulator
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:27 PM

Well I finally ponied up for a new pair of batteries. Charged them up fully with a good charger prior to installing. And damned if it doesn't do exactly the same thing.

I've had a chance to watch it a few times now. When it starts charging, it is pretty sudden...almost like a switch flipping.

It does seem like it is much more likely to fail to charge on a warm start. It usually is fine after a cold start. The coldest I have seen it happen was when I went to lunch after the truck sat at work for about four hours in the morning. It also did it that day after work, but started charging before I got home.

Mainly just posting to negate my speculation that it could be related to weak batteries. I'm thinking it is more a temperature issue now.

-KF-
97 '250 SC 4WD ZF5, 3.55 axles, 1.0AR volute, '99intercooler, Hypermax DP feeding 4"straight pipe, US-Gear chip, Maddog stage-1 injectors, 140Volt IDM.
"If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.