best performance mods for 96 powerstroke - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
best performance mods for 96 powerstroke

i recently bought a super cab short bed 96 powerstroke and i just was wondering what's the best chip and intake for it and how big to go on the down pipe?
sheep1228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Tymar intake, Tymar 3" DP, someone else can chime in on the chip.
AaronSEIA

97 F350 4 door dually, E4OD, DIY intake
only exhaust is stock DP
flatbed
gutless wonder, I want my 94 back!!!
AaronSEIA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

i put in a TS 6-Position burned by Kenny at KT Performance in my 96. Would recommend it to anyone. Tunes are fast as hell and customer service is amazing.
Jeffro92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Aaron didn't give you the number for Tymar Performance but it is 509-922-8785. Dale is the guy when it comes to a lot of performance parts for our trucks. He can set you up from the intake to exhaust, gauges, and a chip. If he doesn't answer the call just leave a message and he'll get back to you.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Personally, I second the Tymar open element air intake without a doubt. Best bang for buck for sure. Next inexpensive mod would be the downpipe upgrade. You can probably do both for about $300 depending on where you live.

Depending on your budget and time, knowing what I do now, I would do the Tymar intake, full exhaust, gauges, and chip all at once. If you do just the downpipe, consider a "race pipe" also known as a cat delete pipe. You can make one yourself depending on how resourceful you are out of 3.5" or 4" piece of straight pipe, or get one included with the downpipe. A consensus for most is anything over a 4" exhaust isn't necessary till you are producing serious power. However, everyone is different, and there are some who have done 5" with no mods. I don't know if there are any gains of a 5" over 4" except sound and cool factor.

Gauges are really recommended, strongly recommended, if you are going to a do a chip and further mods. Monitoring what is going on with engine, trans, egt's, is protection well served. I put gauges in after the open element kit as my second mod. Gauge kits with pillar pod cost depends on 2 or 3 pod, and make of gauges. Dale at Tymar can get you set up, as with virtually any of the vendors on this board, with all your heart and mind could want.

Good luck,
Bret
97 F250, 4x4, ext. cab., auto, 4:10LS, Turbo back 4" Stainless Diamons Eye exhaust, Autometer Ultra-Lite gauges, TYMAR intake (the real deal), TS Chip, Dual Tensioner mod, Amsoil Dual Remote By-pass with AMS-Oiler (pre-oiler), Amsoil throughout, D60 swap, and 246K miles (still ticking)

Stong supporter of all US Troops, their families, and all waiting for a safe return. Thank you, from a former soldier and his family
Bret_B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Just an FYI that the intake and exhaust mods really aren't "performance" mods by themselves. They will help lower EGTs, but without a chip and/or injectors you'd never really feel any performance difference by swaping the intake/exhaust only. Neither is a choke point for the stock program. They are however, must haves, to realize the full potential gains from a chip and/or injectors.
Snowtow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

There are a lot of options for what you are looking for. Some guys like to do the DIY intake(Tymar, 6637, etc.), and some like to get an actual manufactured aftermarket intake(AFE, S&B, etc.). Either one will work fine.

You will not fit any bigger than a 3" downpipe on the OBS.

As far as chips go... We have a couple different options available.

The F5- Holds up to 16 tunes, and can switch tunes on the fly.

The F6- Holds up to 16 tunes, and can also switch tunes on the fly.

The difference between the two is that the F5 must be returned to us if you want any new tunes added or old tunes updated. The F6 connects straight to your computer via USB. You will never have to remove the F6 from the truck to update tunes or receive new ones. We will e-mail you the files and you connect your computer to the chip to upload them. It is very convenient to be able to do this.

We also have another option for tuning. This is the Infinity. The Infinity is a programmer/monitor/code reader/tester/datalogger. It is a really awesome tool to have, and will do all of the tuning and monitoring you need.

Here is a little ad I made for it to show the main features.
Like us on Facebook!
828-221-0076 ext.804
justin@dp-tuner.com
Justin@DP-Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Slight opinion difference here. You will notice the downpipe replacement, it is like having the brake on when you let off the throttle with the factory pipe. With the 3" pipe you will actually coast. This was my first and only mod for 20,000 miles.
97 F250 X-CAB, LONGBED 4X4 w/ 38R and 5" SD Exhaust,DIY Tymar intake, hx hose, 203 stat, stage3 injectors, Beans Fuel system, Arp headstuds D60 w/Sky's rsk and shackle flip plus 4" lift springs, other mods include 5.13 gears arb front and detroit rear plus purple cranium products diff covers and gaurds, ATS s5 trans, bushwacker cutout flares and more to come.
LTLDEMONZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.