Broken door handle fix - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Broken door handle fix

I made new interior door handle out of 1/16 flat plat and 3/8 rod stock to fix my ever breaking ones. This upgrade should never break.
Attached Thumbnails
Broken door handle fix-2013-01-17-door-handle-1.jpg   Broken door handle fix-2013-01-17-door-handle-2.jpg  
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

1991 and older are metal and fit and dont brake
1997 F 350 4X4, idm mod, wide open performance GQSSB turbo, stage 2` s by bean` s, intercooler, 4" no muffler, stack, trans from brians truck shop rear, disk brakes, and a stecher stage 1 hpop 6 position chip with bean` s programs crane valae springs, air dog lift pump and electric fuel pump and regulatorand water methonal injection
edieedie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edieedie View Post
1991 and older are metal and fit and dont brake
Good to know but unfortunately it looks like all replacements are plastic that I can see - checked both LMC and rockauto
'94.5, 5spd, 204k miles, Swamps Babies-tunes-IDM, Adrenaline HPOP & late IPR, IH Waterpump, S&B airbox, 3" DP & 4" Magnaflow exhaust, IH bellowed up-pipes, WW2, non-EBPV ped, Beans fuel, 6.0L Intercooler & Banks pipes, CCV Mod, ZF5 S547 & SB OFE, 3.55's & Truetrac diff, rear discs, Bilstiens, Redhead SB & Borgeson intermediate, A proud Texan 2WD XL!
preith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

I replaced mine with one from Napa and it broke again in just a couple weeks. I got one from Ford, which really wasn't that much more than the Napa one and that held up a lot better. Then I started having some issues that I had to yank on the handle a little extra to open the door so I figured the cable was getting stretched out, which was probably the entire problem to begin with, so I got that kit from Ford too because I couldn't find anyone else that offered the complete kit more than just the cable. You have to tear the whole assembly out of the door anyway so I was happy to replace the whole thing.
'94 F250xlt ext. cab. ZF5-speed 4x4. EBPV delete. DPP downpipe. Tymar intake. Tymar coolant filter. Type 31 batteries. LF9691 primary filter. Electric fans. 10k mod. 1.0 turbo housing. Boost blanket. Over-axle exhaust eliminated. Electric fuel pressure gauge. Heim joint clutch linkage. Adrenaline HPOP. BDP modded IDM. LUK SMFW. DIY Elec Fuel. FS1282, FF5320 fuel filters. SD starter. Dieselsite T-stat. DP 80hp tuned PCM.
'04 F550XL reg. cab. ZF-6 speed. EGR delete. Coolant filter. Cat EC-1 coolant. LF777 bypass oil filter. Blue-spring fuel pressure regulator. ScanGauge II. Glowshift fuel pressure gauge.
sdan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Those are nice looking. My only problem with building something that is stronger than the stock equipment is that you will eventually break the next weak link in the system. It turns into a domino effect until you get to the end of the loop.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

You can find on-line a pair of the metal chrome handles for $14.99 for a pair! If you keep the cables lubed and adjusted, these metal ones will last forever. And look better too !
Foxman

97 F 450 E4OD 7.3 Dana 80 rear w/4.63 Reyco/Granning rear susp. aftermkt leather bucket seats AIC Comming soon: 3.73 rear gearset - complete sound proof - flatbed w/sadle tool boxes and fuel tank between boxes - York on-board air - Visor - Fog lamps in 4" holes in bumper. - adding pwr window and locks adding guages = boost, pyrometer, trans temp, water temp, oil temp, oil press, diff temp and clock
foxman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxman View Post
You can find on-line a pair of the metal chrome handles for $14.99 for a pair! If you keep the cables lubed and adjusted, these metal ones will last forever. And look better too !
Foxman
Where at?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doob51 View Post
Where at?
Ebay.....

Ford Bronco Pickup Front Inside Door Handle Chrome Pair | eBay
97 F250, SC, LB, 4x4, 7.3 PSD,E4OD, 4.10, Autometer Gauges Warn Manuals, Tru-cool 4590. Tymar Intake. Super Duty Driving Lights. 285/75/16 Pro Comp A/T's, DIY Tow Hooks.Canvas Soft Topper. DPP downpipe. A work in progress.pics
BEECHBM69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

thanks
Old 01-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Looks positively Amish.... (and that's meant as a compliment; they're remarkable craftspeople....)

A stronger handle in this application is like a higher-capacity fuse to replace a blown one. Suppresses the symptoms temporarily, masks the cause. And as mentioned above, may just lead to more damage down the road.

If you have to pull hard enough to damage even a plastic handle, there's a problem elsewhere. The cable is stretched, the metal on the mounting/hinge point is fatigued, the latch and striker aren't aligned properly and are creating too much resistance, something like that.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)
There is a little rubber button bumper thing that the handle rests against. If that's missing it can cause the handle to pull very hard. Doesn't seem like that would matter much but it does.
96 F350 4x4 XLT 7.3 59,428 orig miles, Stage I's, Adrenaline, IDM, gutted EBPV, Tymar intake, Banks intercooler, downpipe, gauges, TW 4 position chip, John Wood Towmaster, Ford 08 diff cover, Oil gauge mod, Electric fuel conversion, RSK, OH console, Durn cat done run off an I can't find it.

It is better to have a lobster on your piano than to have a crab on your organ
JoeDown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

I had to take door panel off to put new speakers in so I oiled everything up and door is working even better now. I will probably make two more door handles for the passenger side of the truck to match.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

I replaced mine with another plastic handle and when that broke, I went to the chrome handle. Got it from a local parts store. They are from the 90-92 trucks. I also keep the linkage lubed to keep me from having to use more force than needed on the door handle.
1997 California F250HD 4x4 CC Short Bed, BTS E4OD, 4:10, Rickard Bumpers, 45 Gal Transferflow, Filler Neck Mod, DPS 3" Downpipe, 285/75/16 BFG KO, Warn XD9000 Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, PIAA Lights, Pullpal, Truck Cover USA Toolbox and Cover, Garmin GPS, 3 Pillar pod/gauges, 364k miles
Walt A is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEECHBM69 View Post
Just ordered a pair of these, thanks!
'94.5, 5spd, 204k miles, Swamps Babies-tunes-IDM, Adrenaline HPOP & late IPR, IH Waterpump, S&B airbox, 3" DP & 4" Magnaflow exhaust, IH bellowed up-pipes, WW2, non-EBPV ped, Beans fuel, 6.0L Intercooler & Banks pipes, CCV Mod, ZF5 S547 & SB OFE, 3.55's & Truetrac diff, rear discs, Bilstiens, Redhead SB & Borgeson intermediate, A proud Texan 2WD XL!
preith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have replaced mine 3 times in 6 years, the last time the sheet metal was torn and broken as well. I used the liquid metal playdo stuff to rebuild the area and haven't had trouble since and that was 7 years ago
97 F250 X-CAB, LONGBED 4X4 w/ 38R and 5" SD Exhaust,DIY Tymar intake, hx hose, 203 stat, stage3 injectors, Beans Fuel system, Arp headstuds D60 w/Sky's rsk and shackle flip plus 4" lift springs, other mods include 5.13 gears arb front and detroit rear plus purple cranium products diff covers and gaurds, ATS s5 trans, bushwacker cutout flares and more to come.
LTLDEMONZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.