can you change the dash light color? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2006, 09:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
can you change the dash light color?

Is the green color of the dash lights a changeable bulb or tinted plastic on the gauges? I would like to change it if fairly easy.

Thanks!

pictures
pchtxag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2006, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)
Re: can you change the dash light color?

The green from the film on the cluster itself. If you change the color of the bulb the needle will change, but that is it.
1996 F-250 extended cab long box five speed. Home made Tymar, 203 Stat, 60 gal in bed fuel cell, 315/75's, no muffler, ebpv welded open 3" to 3" DP, Babies. 290K, still chugging, and still smoking when cold.

UPDATED 1/1/09 Replace so far. 1 LUK flywheel+clutch, 2 thermostats, 2 set of brakes, 1 set of calipers, 5 CPS, 3 sets of tires, 2 Transfer pumps, 1 Injector modual, 1 Computer, 2 Alt, 2 sets of batteries, 1 Water pump, 6 Belts, 1 PS hose, 2 Sets ball joints, 2 set u-joints, 2 carrier bearing, 2 Speed sensors, 1 oil pres sender, 1 temp sender, 4 sets of e-break cables, 1 front fuel tank, 2 rear fuel tanks, 2 set of glow plugs, 7 Glow plug relays, Oil galley o-rings, Turbo pedistal o-rings, EBPV o-rings, 3 sets of Injector O-rings, 1 Vac-pump, 1 new carpet, 1 total paint job.Total $$$ in repairs v/s miles driven = 4.6 cents per mile. Add fuel to that it jumps to 16.5 cents per mile over the life of the truck.
MarkEkberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2006, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (21)

The bulbs are clear; the tint comes from the gauge assembly itself.

The tint is not very strong, and if you put some red bulbs in there, you'd probably get red lighting. It might be a bit dimmer than you want, though, because of the green filter.

I've thought about LEDs for this. I'm OK with the green color, but I like the idea of never having to change them again. There are some LEDs made for that purpose that have an inverted cone in the front so that they shine out the sides. However, I haven't been satisfied with LED's for tail or backup lights, because they are not bright enough. They emit a strong narrow beam, but not a strong wide beam like an incandescant bulb does. So I'm afraid that, as instrument lights, they would be too dim. Here are some (red dash LED is last item on this page; scroll down to the bottom, click page 2 for other colors; first two items).
97 F-350 XLT PSD TDE1 crew long bed 4x4 automatic 4.10 SRW Line-X, Filtration Solutions FS-2500 bypass filter, TYMAR intake & HPX, Drawtite 65015 front receiver, Mag-Hytec on diff & trans, Banks downpipe & exhaust, Rancho 9000's, Velvet Ride's, Hypertech PPIII, Westach boost/EGT & trans/diff temp gauges, 2-pod A-pillar mount, Turbo Temp Monitor, Jordan brake controller, Stancor 586-902 GPR. BTS tranny 1/04, Delvac 1, JS IDM, beddins fuel system.

Colorado Springs, CO -- at the foot of Pikes Peak.
shoebear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2006, 10:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

I changed mine to red,used the ones from autozone. The bulbs were pretty dk red not very bright. Then I found some at wallmart lighter color red much better your gonna need 6 for dash and 2 for heater controlls 8 total.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

Hey just checked out that link and will place order in near future I want LED lights on my truck also. Thanks for postin that. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2006, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

I just read what covah posted about how many are reqiured for dash illum and didnt even know my heater controls are supposed to be lit, god do I feel dumb I always fumbled for them @ night and was wondering why ford didnt put lights in there because mine have never worked! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2006, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Not to hijack this thread, but that link that Shoebear posted with the LED's, anyone know why if you put them in the tail lights they blow fuses?

94.5, PSD, F-250, 4x4, Handshaker, Couple Do-Dads
, All Cleared Out
kfjensen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2006, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (21)

[ QUOTE ]
Hey just checked out that link and will place order in near future I want LED lights on my truck also. Thanks for postin that. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you get them, please let me know how they work. If you could post it and and then send me a PM to alert me to your posting, I'd really appreciate it. I'm afraid they'd be dimmer than factory, and for me, the factory is just bright enough.

[ QUOTE ]
Not to hijack this thread, but that link that Shoebear posted with the LED's, anyone know why if you put them in the tail lights they blow fuses?

[/ QUOTE ]
I tried one of their tail lights. It didn't blow a fuse for me, but it wasn't bright enough, so I took it out. I only installed the LED in one side so I could compare to normal. I also had trouble getting the LED to fit through the hole in the lens box, but did manage to get it through.

Maybe you got a defective one?

I tried both narrow and wide beam. From 100 feet back, the narrow beam LED looked about as bright as the incandescent, but it looked much dimmer if I went off-center. The wide beam was only half as bright from directly behind, but didn't drop off so badly when I got off center. Neither one of them illuminated to the side at all. IMO, both would be significant safety hazards compared to incandescent. I also tried white vs. red. The white was a lot dimmer than the comparable red.
97 F-350 XLT PSD TDE1 crew long bed 4x4 automatic 4.10 SRW Line-X, Filtration Solutions FS-2500 bypass filter, TYMAR intake & HPX, Drawtite 65015 front receiver, Mag-Hytec on diff & trans, Banks downpipe & exhaust, Rancho 9000's, Velvet Ride's, Hypertech PPIII, Westach boost/EGT & trans/diff temp gauges, 2-pod A-pillar mount, Turbo Temp Monitor, Jordan brake controller, Stancor 586-902 GPR. BTS tranny 1/04, Delvac 1, JS IDM, beddins fuel system.

Colorado Springs, CO -- at the foot of Pikes Peak.
shoebear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2006, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

I'm curious on this also. But did anyone try the LEDs in the taillights and see if the cruise control still worked? The LEDs are much less amperage than incandescent bulbs and the computer might read it as a burnt out bulb.

Check out the Tower LED bulbs.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
'97 Black F250HD,XLT, SC, LB, 4x4, D66, Punisher Trans with Precision Converter, Dana 60, 3.55LS, built 12/97, 3"-4" DP, Bilstein 5125s, VDO EGT, Trans Temp, and Boost gauges, Hellwig rear swaybar, CA fuel regulator, 4" Exhaust-Straight piped,FORD AIC, welded EBPV, B&M Transpan,, Joe Servo IDM, MAP sensor mod, RSK w/ "V" & "F" code SD springs, Hydroboost conversion, replacement 38 gal rear tank, Swamp's Baby Hybrids, Jonathan Jones Tunes, CJC Traction blocks, 227K
gnxtc2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2006, 04:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious on this also. But did anyone try the LEDs in the taillights and see if the cruise control still worked? The LEDs are much less amperage than incandescent bulbs and the computer might read it as a burnt out bulb.

Check out the Tower LED bulbs.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Think those backup lights are any brighter?

, All Cleared Out
Old 01-11-2006, 05:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

I got white faced gauges with blue lighting of Ebay for 6 bucks, if you get em drive the truck around for a bit so everything warms up take a mental picture of where the needles go pull the needles and the white face go right over the top put the needles back and done, the blue looks great at night! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
1997 PSD #34 15.093 @ 88.63mph(on BDPstage1s) Beans electric fuel, H2E FFD 230cc stroked acodes TWildman 6 position Tymar intake, 17*hpop, IDM mod, diamond back 4" turbo back dual exhaust (SD DP), Arp studs, comp valvesprings, 7.3 intercooler, Rough Country 4" lift, 315 Cepeks FC 2 on MT classics, Bdog electrolum gauges (pre/post turbo pyro), E4OD auto, 4.10LS, TC LU w/ ind light, CCV mod, Richter69 TC and accum body, 203* tstat, clear turn signals, toolbox light, ford manual hub conv., ext trim gone.
Highest hp 362, highest tq 723 corrected onstage 1s
future mods: bigoil, 2nd fuelpump
Work truck: 03 7.3 excab lb F250
New Family rig: 2002 7.3 Excursion edge evo II, mbrp 4" tb exhaust, tymar intake
Big_Dan97's Photos
Big_Dan97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

They look brighter [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
'97 Black F250HD,XLT, SC, LB, 4x4, D66, Punisher Trans with Precision Converter, Dana 60, 3.55LS, built 12/97, 3"-4" DP, Bilstein 5125s, VDO EGT, Trans Temp, and Boost gauges, Hellwig rear swaybar, CA fuel regulator, 4" Exhaust-Straight piped,FORD AIC, welded EBPV, B&M Transpan,, Joe Servo IDM, MAP sensor mod, RSK w/ "V" & "F" code SD springs, Hydroboost conversion, replacement 38 gal rear tank, Swamp's Baby Hybrids, Jonathan Jones Tunes, CJC Traction blocks, 227K
gnxtc2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
They look brighter [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

[/ QUOTE ]

...then stock..

, All Cleared Out
Old 01-11-2006, 08:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have blue bulbs in mine. just changed the color of the needles.

Seen Here.

Diesel Rod

A '97 F250 with 295K miles, 90 LED's and 5" stacks, among other things....

A '96 F250 Reg cab with 210K miles, Needs to go away. PM me.
'86 359 Peterbilt SHORT HOOD. The ongoing "project" it aint pretty but its got a 425 air to air Cat motor .....13 speed Eaton. Corvette Dash, 17 gauges, 8" black stacks, 63" flat top---> 36" sitting here waiting for paint. 1.305 Million Miles.

I don't know what I am doing, I just know I don't have time to do it.
brahamfireman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.