CAT fuel filter/water separator w/clear bowl? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2007, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CAT fuel filter/water separator w/clear bowl?

Anyone seen one of these? I've been reading Tom S & TimC63 elec fuel setup & think I want to stay with CAT filters for both pre & post pump but prefer the clear bowl. Also interested in Tom S interia switch but can't find similar to save my life. Thx
1997 F350 7.3L PSD; LB; SRW; Crew cab; RSK with dual front Bilstein shocks; Banks PowerPack; E40D with BadBoy converter & shift kit; 3" DP with 3.5" back; Airlift air bags; Mag-Hytec diff/trans covers; Power Slot rotors; Flex-a-Lite remote trans cooler; Tymar intake & CCV mod; SPDiesel SSEBTC controller; B&W turn-over ball & Companion 5th wheel hitch.
Homepage: http://community.webshots.com/user/rmrusten1
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (20)
Re: CAT fuel filter/water separator w/clear bowl?

http://cgi.ebay.com/FUEL-PUMP-INERTIA-SW...VQQcmdZViewItem

There are the inertial switches on Ebay.

The Cat filter I am using pre-pump with the clear bowl is really a Stanadyne filter head, fuel heater, and clear bowl. I just cross referenced the cat filter I wanted for in length and micron rating and modded the head with a dremel tool to accept it. Nothing wrong with the Stanadyne filters as far as I can see I just wanted the matching look.

Tom
PMF RSK V and B code springs
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2007, 11:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

LabRat,

I have followed Tom and Tim in their respective setups have basically a similar one. I looked at a variety of filter setups and went with a spin on (actually two) filter heads both 1" diameter by 14 threads per inch so I could use CAT filters. Was concerned about mashing a see through bowl so I went with a Donaldson spin on P558000 (steel filter) which has an H2O drain on the pre-pump side and a CAT 1R-0570 post pump.

Used two Donaldson P562261 filterheads on an aluminium plate to mount filters on. In respect of heating I have in place a Vegitherm Mega in line heater from PlantDrive.com plumbed up stream of the P558000 filter for cold weather.

jrc
97 XLT F250 CC ZF-5 (now ) DIY short shifter 355's D60 air locked T Wildman files, 'jectors, SD Hpop, 6.0 fan, IC, DP 4" exhaust, SS resonator, RSK, SD springs all corners, Velvet rides, Custom Aluminum Drybox/fuel tank, air bags, E-air compressor, VisionX HID/LED's, E fuel, F26D rear tank, 200 amp alternator, 1500 watt inverter.
Red Truck Pix and mods
Jcart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

The Cat filter I am using pre-pump with the clear bowl is really a Stanadyne filter head, fuel heater, and clear bowl. I just cross referenced the cat filter I wanted for in length and micron rating and modded the head with a dremel tool to accept it. Nothing wrong with the Stanadyne filters as far as I can see I just wanted the matching look.

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom - I like the matching look also (kinda picky that way). It looks like you are using this <font color="blue"> filter </font> in your modified head but I don't see how you attach the clear bowl on the bottom. I figured the filter would have to be a flow through version (w/o the drain on the bottom &amp; threaded to accept the clear bowl). Guess it's not clear to me how the assembly goes together. Is the CAT drain opened inside the plastic bowl? How does the bowl attach to the filter?

Jcart has a good point - do you have a bypass method for the pre-filter in case the plastic case is damaged? Any idea what temp range the plastic is good for?

BTW - thx for the inertia link!

[ QUOTE ]
LabRat,

I have followed Tom and Tim in their respective setups have basically a similar one. I looked at a variety of filter setups and went with a spin on (actually two) filter heads both 1" diameter by 14 threads per inch so I could use CAT filters. Was concerned about mashing a see through bowl so I went with a Donaldson spin on P558000 (steel filter) which has an H2O drain on the pre-pump side and a CAT 1R-0570 post pump.

Used two Donaldson P562261 filterheads on an aluminium plate to mount filters on. In respect of heating I have in place a Vegitherm Mega in line heater from PlantDrive.com plumbed up stream of the P558000 filter for cold weather.

jrc

[/ QUOTE ]

Jcart - thx for the info &amp; detailed PNs. Yet more info to make my choices even more difficult. I'll check 'em out.
1997 F350 7.3L PSD; LB; SRW; Crew cab; RSK with dual front Bilstein shocks; Banks PowerPack; E40D with BadBoy converter & shift kit; 3" DP with 3.5" back; Airlift air bags; Mag-Hytec diff/trans covers; Power Slot rotors; Flex-a-Lite remote trans cooler; Tymar intake & CCV mod; SPDiesel SSEBTC controller; B&W turn-over ball & Companion 5th wheel hitch.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

This switch is from the UK - do they run on a 12V system? Thx
Old 06-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Tom - can't find the Marshall vacuum gauge for fuel filter restricton either (I don't know where you get this stuff but it's eluding me). I did find fuel pressure gauge though.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

LabRat,

I used Hobbs switches on my system. One is hooked to the low pressure oil (tapped into at oil filter) and wired inline (ground circuit) for my SD E-pump relay. Therefor oil pressure less then 3 psi (IIRC) no SD fuel pump. The reason I used the ground circuit is that if the switch ever fails I just by pass at relay and still have a pump. Having said this however, engine will still start with SD fuel pump off although not sure how long it will run.

Hobbs switch two is hooked inline (ground circuit) using stock wiring and tapped into fuel system in the valley, to stock idiot light on dash, so any fuel pressure below 35 p.s.i. will turn on light. This Switch is adjustable to 30-75 psi (IIRC).

I did not put an inertia switch on my system.

jrc
97 XLT F250 CC ZF-5 (now ) DIY short shifter 355's D60 air locked T Wildman files, 'jectors, SD Hpop, 6.0 fan, IC, DP 4" exhaust, SS resonator, RSK, SD springs all corners, Velvet rides, Custom Aluminum Drybox/fuel tank, air bags, E-air compressor, VisionX HID/LED's, E fuel, F26D rear tank, 200 amp alternator, 1500 watt inverter.
Red Truck Pix and mods
Jcart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (32)

Hey Labrat!

[ QUOTE ]
Also interested in Tom S interia switch but can't find similar to save my life. Thx

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as the intertia switches go, any EFI Ford passenger car or truck from the mid 80's and through the 90's have intertia switches in them. So if you pick one up from a wrecking yard, you can clip the wiring harness and take the connector with you too.
F-series gassers had them on the inside of the firewall, above the trans hump. Most passenger cars had them on the panel the taillights mount to or sometimes on the side of the trunk up near the trunk hinges.

If you can stand the "look" of an ugly shield under your truck, I have several road trips on my installation and the shield that I built seems to be protecting the filters from road debris just fine.

Good luck and God Bless,

TC
97 F350 XLT, 4x4, Toreador Red, CC, PSD, MLE0, ZF5, 3.55 l/s, LUK clutch,Velvet Rides, ISSPRO gauges, v/cover vented to tailpipe, DPPI downpipe - modded to 4" right below firewall seam, open element intake using Duralite filter, coolant filter mounted between washer fluid bottle and jack, gutted EBPV, 99+ I/C installed using early 99 Y-pipe and custom pipes, 4-pos chip, BigBopper Seat Mod, Bilsteins, 130cc injectors, homegrown 4" exhaust, uses 36" Magnaflow muffler (Model #12773 body is a full 30" long - nice and quiet!) Custom Fuel System using Carter electric pump, Aeromotive regulator and frame-mounted filters...
2003 Tahoe MS27TT (27' Lite travel trailer), Prodigy Brake Controller.
1991 5.0 LX, runs 12.57 @ 109 mph
My Intercooler/Fuel System Install Webpage (section on CCV Mod too): http://members.localnet.com/~boys3/
TimC63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2007, 01:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Tom - I like the matching look also (kinda picky that way). It looks like you are using this filter in your modified head but I don't see how you attach the clear bowl on the bottom. I figured the filter would have to be a flow through version (w/o the drain on the bottom &amp; threaded to accept the clear bowl). Guess it's not clear to me how the assembly goes together. Is the CAT drain opened inside the plastic bowl? How does the bowl attach to the filter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy you remove the black plastic drain valve and screw on the clear bowl. The drain valve then screws onto the bottom of the clear bowl.

Those Inertia switches I linked to will work just fine. They are just cleaner looking then the ones from American cars but made by the same company.

http://www.1firsttech.com/data_sheet...20_sensors.pdf

http://www.1firsttech.com/products.asp

I found the gauge on Ebay but have since gotten one that works just like the original air filter restriction gauge. I just have not gotten it installed yet.

Tom
Old 06-12-2007, 08:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

So the clear bowl does not screw on to the filter? It is held on with the drain plug? O-ring seal to outside of filter housing?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)

[ QUOTE ]
Easy you remove the black plastic drain valve and screw on the clear bowl. The drain valve then screws onto the bottom of the clear bowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom
how much length does the clear bowl at to the filter? Have you found a good source for just the bowls or can I order directly from Stanadyne

LabRat
I have a bunch of 30 micron cat/stanadyne filters. If you think you can use them for your system let me know.
BlueMule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2007, 10:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

http://www.reliableindustries.com/ca....php?show=kits

http://www.reliableindustries.com/ca...qiid=STN_33640

There is the clear bowl by itself and the assembly I ordered and just added the heater to it. I think the bowl adds about 2 inches in length to the filter. If you call Reliable you can spec the assembly you want for filter length, port sizes and options. The clear bowl screws into the hole where the drain plug normally screws in at the bottom of the filter. Napa also sells this line of filter heads and such as well. I found them in the online catalog.

Tom
Old 06-13-2007, 12:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

Question Tom is there a place on the net were you picked up your cat final filter the high efficiancy 2 micron, I have a cat dealer about an hour away from me but would rather just buy one with my key pad. And what kind of pressure can it hold up to cause most filters are only rated at max burst pressure of 60 psi but im not sure about the cat filter it seems like a really good filter though.

Robert

DP Tuner F-5 6 pos chip
Autometer 3 Pillar guages
Industrial Injection Hybrids
City Diesel custom 6.0 intercooler
AFE Stage2 magnum force intake
Garrett GT38r ball bearing turbo
Custom Fuel System
CCV Mod
HX Oil Mod
4.10 rear end
Built E4OD
Custom 5" exhuast w/stacks
4" lift
35x12.50x16 BF Goodrich All Terrains

close to 500hp gunning for 600hp

http://community.webshots.com/user/robs96stroker
robs96stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2007, 12:57 AM   #14 (permalink)

Robert, I bought one at a truck parts place then I bought a bunch more off ebay for a really good price. The truck parts place was a general type of shop not just Cat and they had them out on the shelf. I am not sure on the pressure rating but it has worked out just fine. The only addition I am thinking about for my system is a fuel cooler.

Tom
Old 06-13-2007, 01:09 AM   #15 (permalink)

Thats a good idea iv tossed that same idea around a bit PM me with any ideas or thoughts on it, But i put two of the push on filters with the lock cap on the top just like your water separator and the one that has the pump pressure leaks out of the gasket due to to much pressure, im running 65psi right now but would like to try 70psi and see how it does. But i want to switch to a thread on filter and from doing a little reading the cat high efficiancy filter sound like what i want so ill find on, ill probably just end up driving up to cat to get some, thanks for the help.

Robert

DP Tuner F-5 6 pos chip
Autometer 3 Pillar guages
Industrial Injection Hybrids
City Diesel custom 6.0 intercooler
AFE Stage2 magnum force intake
Garrett GT38r ball bearing turbo
Custom Fuel System
CCV Mod
HX Oil Mod
4.10 rear end
Built E4OD
Custom 5" exhuast w/stacks
4" lift
35x12.50x16 BF Goodrich All Terrains

close to 500hp gunning for 600hp

http://community.webshots.com/user/robs96stroker
robs96stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.