DIY Clutch Linkage Repair Instructions - heim joint, bushings - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 11:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile DIY Clutch Linkage Repair Instructions - heim joint, bushings

I recently did my own clutch linkage repair and documented it to share. Rather than using the stock nylon bushing, I modified a 5/8" female rod end heim joint. Its all very solid now and looks like it will last. Its also very servicable should it decide not to last!

Hope this helps someone

www.worldacumen.com/content/clutch.doc
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009, 11:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by getrolfed View Post
I recently did my own clutch linkage repair and documented it to share. Rather than using the stock nylon bushing, I modified a 5/8" female rod end heim joint. Its all very solid now and looks like it will last. Its also very servicable should it decide not to last!

Hope this helps someone

www.worldacumen.com/content/clutch.doc
Not to rain on your parade but there's a guy who's been selling a "kit" of sorts on Ebay using a cut down rod end like yours, but it's nice to have some intructions/pics too.

I did a similar mod several years ago and also eliminated the switch. More convenient and no close calls so far. Anyway IIRC I used a 3/8 rod end and didn't put a nut on the inside of the arm, just ran the both through both pieces, the rod lined up good this way. I also used a 3/8 bolt for the master rod - drilled a vertical hole in the head the same diameter as the rod, something like 3/16, and welded it, this provided adjustability too. I can take a pic if anyone is interested.
'94.5, 5spd, 204k miles, Swamps Babies-tunes-IDM, Adrenaline HPOP & late IPR, IH Waterpump, S&B airbox, 3" DP & 4" Magnaflow exhaust, IH bellowed up-pipes, WW2, non-EBPV ped, Beans fuel, 6.0L Intercooler & Banks pipes, CCV Mod, ZF5 S547 & SB OFE, 3.55's & Truetrac diff, rear discs, Bilstiens, Redhead SB & Borgeson intermediate, A proud Texan 2WD XL!
preith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

I did something similar to this and used an industrial "micro" switch with whisker on it for a neutral safety switch. The original switch is also a redudant cut off for the cruise control so I added a second push button style micro switch for that. Been perfect for about 3 years!
Mine: 91 F250 Reg Cab 4x4 5spd 7.3IDI 4.10LS 145,000 miles. Banks Sidewinder 92 D60 F axle w 97 brakes and Powerlock. Lift: about 4" over stock 250. 33x12.50x16.5 Pro Comp MTs Magnaflow 12" muffler. Sees dirt everyday. Used to haul hay, wood, feed cows, check fence.
Hers: 96F250 CCSB 7.3 PSD 4x4 5spd 3.55 LS 190,000 miles. Puchased 7/03, Looked for a 5spd CCSB for a year!Dana 60 front axle, at stock F350 height (for now) Energy Poly bushings, Bilsteins, 305/70/16 Pro Comps on 16x10 Weld Outbacks, AFE Pro7,TYMAR 3x3.5x4 downpipe,TYMAR 5" straightpipe, gutted EBV, IH Non EBV pedistal,New Alliant AC Injectors,(stage 1)Cal reg kit, SBC Con O clutch, permenent clutch bushing fix, AC mod with a different twist, AMP Powersteps with custom brackets and wiring(one of 2 OBS trucks with them according to AMP) Line of Fire. Sees dirt everyday.
My Company pickup: 86 F250 6.9 C6 320,000 miles Co trucks 5 89 to 94 IDI's, plus about 50 more diesels.
Diesel Mechanic 34 yrs Maintenece Manager 23 yrs
Garbage_Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 12:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

i did the same thing on my 1975 f250 when i installed a zf 5 trans and hydrolic's from a f450 back in 1994,,,that was a good truck,shame the kid i sold it to rolled it
1996 F350 CREW CAB,37"tires,2003 hpop,160CC injectors,electric fuel system.malery pressure reg.6.0 intercooler,sd bd turbo,sd 3 in intakes ,tw 4 pos. chip,gauges,tcc disconect,mod.e4od,rear detroit,20,000remote cooler,baja fiberglass body panels,stage 3 methanol...............
NORTHRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

I looked on eBay, but I couldn't find the kit for sale. I agree that a single bolt would have been better. I just installed a new LuK clutch and SMFW. The pedal now feels as light as my Honda Accord. Very light.

I have yet to test my cruise control! I suspect it will not work. Thanks for pointing this out. Saves me looking in all the wrong places for the problem.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Here is a LINK to the one on Ebay.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
^^^ Yup, that's the eBay one that I used as well.
Works so GOOD that I forgot all about it... 4 years + !!!
(ZF5) 5-Speed Transmission
(Twildman's) 4 Position Chip
Swamps "E-Fuel Conversion"
Auto Meter Cobalt Series Gauges on Full A-Pillar
Tymar Intake
(DPP) 3" Downpipe
(DPP) Catalytic Converter Delete Pipe
Parky66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
Here is a LINK to the one on Ebay.
If anyone's interested I have this available for resale. I couldn't use it because I had an aftermarket slave rod with a plastic end. PM me, it'll be cheap.
'94.5, 5spd, 204k miles, Swamps Babies-tunes-IDM, Adrenaline HPOP & late IPR, IH Waterpump, S&B airbox, 3" DP & 4" Magnaflow exhaust, IH bellowed up-pipes, WW2, non-EBPV ped, Beans fuel, 6.0L Intercooler & Banks pipes, CCV Mod, ZF5 S547 & SB OFE, 3.55's & Truetrac diff, rear discs, Bilstiens, Redhead SB & Borgeson intermediate, A proud Texan 2WD XL!
preith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

How do u remove that linkage I took the 18mm nut off but linkage is stuck on
Deweyf250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
Are you refering to the clutch pedal linkage arm on the pedal mainshaft? You need to pry it off as it is splined (pressed over the splines when the nut is tightened. Cheers!

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
Patrick Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ya I tried its really on there and no good place to pry
Deweyf250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (21)
I did mine a little different. I drilled and tapped the pedals (since I did hydroboost too) for UNF bolts, thereby making new studs. Greased the threads, slipped on the master and booster pushrods, and secured them with a nylock nut.

This way I never have to modify the clutch master or booster in case of replacement.

EDIT: btw, I cut a corner off the pedal support so I could properly drill out the old worn-out nub that engages the clutch pushrod.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Clutch Linkage Repair Instructions - heim joint, bushings-img00485.jpg   DIY Clutch Linkage Repair Instructions - heim joint, bushings-img00493.jpg  

Marine Engines I mess with:
Mitsubishi S6U, S6R, 6D14; Mirrlees National KVSSM; DDC/MTU 12V2000; Cat 353, 398, 3306, 3406

Last edited by u2slow; 09-27-2012 at 05:14 PM.
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.