Do it yourself propane injection??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do it yourself propane injection???

Anyone done this. I have been wanting to add propane injection but have been scared away because of the price then I found this site LPG (Propane) Fumigation for Diesel Engines. It sounds easy enough but what "jet" to start with for our trucks? Want more power for hills and don't have the green backs for injectors and an intercooler now. Does anyone have any ideas. I have seen a few posts that guys mentions they have made their own.
Thanks
1997 F350 CC4X4 150K superclean truck Beans 6 pos chip! IDM mod, Pyro, Boost and Trans Autometers over mirror. Oil and Water temp in hand built "hump cubby" 4" straight pipe! . Ford V-10 trans cooler, Tymar Intake, 6 leaker intercooler. Swamps 175/146 sticks fed by Adrenaline in front of a BTS. WOP QSSB turbo e-fuel conversion and a custom CNG system. Wifes ride 2011 F350CCSWB mostly stock. My Youtube vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdXy-bV6Zks
drwoodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wow, great site. I am very interested in this, too. I would also like to know if anyone knows of sources for LPG tanks that would fit under the truck. Alongside the frame perhaps with some shielding to protect them from accidents.

DS
Old 08-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

by the time you add in the cost of tank and install, and the extra fuel cost to fill up on propane all the time, you could have a custom chip with mpg tunes....

I think most here will agree, propane is a dead horse around these parts....and dangerous to motors in some instances..but to each his own.
1997 F350 CC 4x4 Auto

a little over 400 at the rear wheels
thanks to Wildman, Bean, Cass, Luke and Visa

www.northtexaspowerstrokes.com

Truck Pictures

Truck Movies
Rtxcoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Really? I thought it would be a valid option for adding power on steep hills while towing. I really didn't see it as something that would be on all the time, but only when needed. Sort of a like nitrous, but safer.

And how is it dangerous for the motor?

DS
Old 08-14-2008, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

depends how much you dump in-----farmers ran this years ago--before hair dryers--but some--had to have more--then they did--have more scattered parts all over!!!!!!!
94 f250 idi turbo sc e4od alum fac rims 149,289 --dana 60 frt with posi--10.25 rear w/posi--shouldnt get stuck!! ats turbo 3" parts on--what a diff from stock turbo!!!!!--- also 96 F250 with 305,000 is fixed!!-- 7.3 rattler-also 85 6.9-needs new engine!! tired!!
94_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtxcoon View Post
by the time you add in the cost of tank and install, and the extra fuel cost to fill up on propane all the time, you could have a custom chip with mpg tunes....

I think most here will agree, propane is a dead horse around these parts....and dangerous to motors in some instances..but to each his own.
You could turn it on and off use it only when needed.. Not really concerned with mpg's and a custom chip wont even come close anyway safety is a big concern. I am talking 70+hp on top of my sct programer.
1997 F350 CC4X4 150K superclean truck Beans 6 pos chip! IDM mod, Pyro, Boost and Trans Autometers over mirror. Oil and Water temp in hand built "hump cubby" 4" straight pipe! . Ford V-10 trans cooler, Tymar Intake, 6 leaker intercooler. Swamps 175/146 sticks fed by Adrenaline in front of a BTS. WOP QSSB turbo e-fuel conversion and a custom CNG system. Wifes ride 2011 F350CCSWB mostly stock. My Youtube vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdXy-bV6Zks
Old 08-14-2008, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

decent tunes would help with the power issue, what do you mean
by superchip custom tuned? are they custom tunes someone wrote
or are you talking about a SCT handheld programmer that you download
a generic program onto your computer with?just asking cuz I didnt know
SCT offered truly "custom" tunes, I thought they only offered the
off the shelf 50hp and tow tunes from a programmer...ever since I got my chip I kinda just ignore all other options so I dont know whats out there

back in the day, people were blowing motors with propane, bad....
I believe the consensus nowadays is that nox is safer than propane
I would be really afraid to run propane on anything other than tunes
wrote for propane injection due to timing and pw issues that I think was
causing the scattered blocks back then...

can you clarify your statement that a custom chip cant come close?
I was just wondering what you meant cant come close to what?
power? mpg?
1997 F350 CC 4x4 Auto

a little over 400 at the rear wheels
thanks to Wildman, Bean, Cass, Luke and Visa

www.northtexaspowerstrokes.com

Truck Pictures

Truck Movies
Rtxcoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2008, 10:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

SCT xcalibrator II "superchips custon tuned" I bought it originally for my 6.0 leaker. The amount of power it gave it was unbelivable. Very differnt than a regular canned tuned superchips programmer. They (the dealers) can custom program for nos, propane injectors just like a cusom burned chip.
The custom chip (by itself) can't even come close to the power increase of properly done propane. If I could get 50-70+ I think that would do what I want.
Too much propane is very bad agreed you wan't to start at something like a 10% increase. Better MPG's would be great but I just want it for increased power while towing and the suposed small increase or even decrease in egt's. I have the 3.55's like you and the truck is a dog when towing thanks to my bigger tires. I would like to injectors, HPOP, turbo, intercooler but $$$$$$.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
the reason the custom tuned chip can't compare to propane, is on the obs the injectors are mechanically limited to about a 40 hp increase.

propane used to be a pretty common topic a while ago, until injectors became so affordable. After that a lot of the guys who had propane and did injectors found themselves not using the propane and there were a lot of used kits popping up for sale.

getting injectors like tow or stage 1 does not mean you need an ic or turbo, you can control the egt's with the throttle pedal, but from the amount of experince from the different vehicles you've had in your sig it seems like you already know all of this and your just set on trying propane, so I say go for it and report back. If this diy kit works good maybe others will be interested in trying it.
1995 F350 PSD,CC,LB,E4OD,4WDw4:10LS
IDM Corrosion
Underdash Gauge Pod
Front Tow Hooks
STurbo90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2008, 09:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

I really would like to try the propame in small amounts it seems there are many good benefits if done right. It is just the big IF. I know one guy here in town that has done propane himself 6-7 yrs ago I see his truck now and then and he still has the tank in it but I no longer work with his son in law and never get the oppertunity to talk to him.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Eli

My Photos: (2)
I just robbed my propane system from one stock injetored rig and put it back on the rig with the stage II injectors.....whooo hoooo!!!! I love passing people.
06 XL 250 6.0 Auto 4x4 Shortbox, Ex-Cab, 155k miles, SCT tuner, PHP FICM tuner FICM from ficmrepair.com Magnaflow exhaust. Head studs that still leak. Coolant filter, ELC coolant, other "stuff" gone 2" leveling kit with 20's.

95 XLT SC 4X4, 3.55, 5 spd, 310k miles, Bullydog extreme chip, Maddog Stage II 160cc injectors, Tymar Intake, 4" exhaust, Walker BTM,H-Max DP, exhaust brake, LUK, 2.5 lift with 285's on 8 Weld Typhoons/air bags. Makes my 6.0 seem a little sick.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 12:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

I have a 2008 6.6L DuraMax Diesel that I just had converted to Dual-Fuel /CNG (compressed natural gas). Off the dyno it gets 89 additional horse-power, 200 additional foot-pounds of tourque and all at 36 MPG. The system is by Natruell of of Cedar City Utah and it works. I can prove it and have the data from Bully Dog that did the dyno testing. The converstion was about $8,500 and I figure at the miles I drive, it will pay for itself in one year. Oh, and using CNG with diesel fuel produces less hydrocarbons so I change my oil half as much and the engine will have at least twice the life it would have otherwise. There are 5 limos in Logan Ut, that where converted about eight years ago, that have over a million miles on each.
I pay .79 cents per gallon for CNG. Yes it's not available yet at all fuel stations everywhere, BUT it is distributed (piped) to everywhere there are waterheaters or furnaces that burn natural gas. We have 30 stations in Utah and you can get pumps that allow you to fill at home for less.
Want to know more about CNG? Go to UtahCleanCities.org and read the paper on the first page titled "Fuel Tank to Think Tank", then go to mistercng.com for more.
mistercng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2008, 05:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Propane is OK for a small boost in power and some better mileage. Not so sure you'll break even on the mileage part though. At least not with fuel prices comming back down. If they get back where they were it might.

It seems there have been a lot of guys in the past who have scattered engines due to trying to make a lot of power with it. Nitrous is much safer than propane but not nearly as economical to use being it costs so much and the bottles don't last so long but the effects of it are much less dammaging to the engines.

The problem with propane is that it is a fuel that is in the intake tract. So you don't have the control over when it burns like you do with bigger injectors injecting more fuel. It also makes the fuel burn faster so it will effect your timeing. IMHO there are safer better ways to go about it.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

CNG is compressed natural gas. 130 octane with almost double the btu's of gasoline. As noted above more horse power, more torque and double the mileage. BUT with the Natruell system the HP is held back to a safe level to safe-guard the trans. Conversions start at $8,500. Call 801-440-3001.
mistercng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

I would really like to do a CNG conversion but $$$ right now is way to high there are other options out there that are less. Diesel power mag had a write up a few issues back that did a good job explaining it. I live a fair distance from the nearest place to fill up on CNG so it is a little inconvinient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.