Eaton Fuller 6-Speed? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Eaton Fuller 6-Speed?

Ill be honest with you guys, I didn't do a search, usually because when I do the information is not tailored to my needs.

If this has been asked before though, feel free to scold me.

But, basically I am going to be starting a new job soon and its going to leave me with a lot more money than I have ever made before. Not that I'll have money to burn, but one of the things that I would like to do is restore my truck (or kind of restore it). I figure that I can have a brand-new '96 F350 for under $20K and it'll all be paid off.

But, I would like to know if anyone has heard of, or maybe even knows someone who has put a 6-speed Eaton Fuller transmission into a Powerstroke truck. I am really curious to know what it might take to make one fit. If it takes a huge body lift or a bunch of unattainable parts that will have to be made, then I'll drop the idea.

In the meantime, it kind of sounds like a fun thing to go about doing. Especially since I think that having a gear more for my selection would be a good idea.

Does anyone here know anything mechanically about the Eaton 6-speed as far as what it runs off of and if I'll have to run lines to it? Or is it more or less self-contained like my ZF-5? I am pretty sure that nothing is air-operated because there is no hi-low range selector or anything like that.

Can it even be done, or am I just spinning my wheels thinking about taking something pretty good to start with (ZF-5), and playing with it?
NOW-1999 F250 XLT, 7.3 PSD, 4x4 6-Speed, SCab, Shortbed, 3" Leveling Kit, 35" BFG AT's, DP, Air Raid, Custom Straight Pipe w/MBRP tip, Line-X, Reunel Rear Bumper, Powercoated Front Bumper, and more!!!

120,000 miles on the clock!

SOLD at 320,000 miles, never had a problem in the 10 months I owned it...
1996 Ford F350, XLT, 7.3L PSD, 4x4, 5-Speed, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 285 BFG All-Terrains, Diamond Eye 3" DP.

All Stock Otherwise- 312,000 miles.
Mileage Update 8/28/11-316,xxx miles, all is good.
getpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

With the Eaton Fuller you'd run into an unobtainable transmission-transfer adapter; also, I don't believe the Powerstroke has an SAE #3 bellhousing at least in Ford applications (maybe in Int'l??).
You'd be better off looking at the ZF-6. Even then I know it is longer and the driveshafts would need alteration, also the rear support crossmember, but it has probably been done.

Charlie
Old 11-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You're probably looking at a lift, since an Eaton-Fuller tranny is BIG (that is, physically large compared to the ZF-5). For what you said in your post, why not a ZF-6 swap from a Super Duty? Wouldn't be re-inventing the wheel as its been done before. Myself, I'd sure like a 2 spd. splitter, something I could do on the fly like in the old 2 ton trucks.
'94 1/2 F250 4x4, SuperCab XLT, 5 spd, SMF w/ Valaeo clutch, 4.10 (syn. lube), Cenex Maxtron 5W40 Syn, manual hubs, B&W Gooseneck hitch, Toyo M-55 tires in 235/85R16, authentic TYMAR intake, 4" AFE exhaust, FRP mod., SD starter, Isspro boost/pyro,digital thermometer, homebuilt exhaust brake, 182K "Its only a pickup. Trucks have a button on the shifter!"
tbeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ahh, I was just throwing out an idea.

I figured a couple of things: 1) that if they used the Eaton-Fuller in the F650, then why not be able to put it in the F350? and 2) transmissions seem to all cost about the same brand new, so why not take a heavy-duty truck name and put it into a light-duty (maybe high horsepower) frame?

I know that the F650 is a Medium-Duty truck, but they also used the transmission in International trucks with the same motor (I believe). They just called it by the "x444" model number instead of "7.3 Powerstroke," right?

I'll have to do some in-depth research to see if it can be done easily, but I'm pretty certain it can be done.

I guess the key word there is "easily." Meaning that I'll have to see if a bell housing has been made in the past to do this, and I would have to make sure that I wont have to body lift the truck. I personally don't like body lifts. Plus, if you have all of your controls like 4x4 and transmission shifters going through the floor, then you have to modify them. Then there's pedal concerns, electrical, other lines and hoses...
NOW-1999 F250 XLT, 7.3 PSD, 4x4 6-Speed, SCab, Shortbed, 3" Leveling Kit, 35" BFG AT's, DP, Air Raid, Custom Straight Pipe w/MBRP tip, Line-X, Reunel Rear Bumper, Powercoated Front Bumper, and more!!!

120,000 miles on the clock!

SOLD at 320,000 miles, never had a problem in the 10 months I owned it...
1996 Ford F350, XLT, 7.3L PSD, 4x4, 5-Speed, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 285 BFG All-Terrains, Diamond Eye 3" DP.

All Stock Otherwise- 312,000 miles.
Mileage Update 8/28/11-316,xxx miles, all is good.
getpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Given that the Eaton can be had in an IH with a TD-444E (Powerstroke), it should bolt up. Just need the proper bell housing. Now the rest (clutch and control to pedal, shifter) may get interesting. Post back when you figure things out, it may be a long winter and this will be something to ponder on!
'94 1/2 F250 4x4, SuperCab XLT, 5 spd, SMF w/ Valaeo clutch, 4.10 (syn. lube), Cenex Maxtron 5W40 Syn, manual hubs, B&W Gooseneck hitch, Toyo M-55 tires in 235/85R16, authentic TYMAR intake, 4" AFE exhaust, FRP mod., SD starter, Isspro boost/pyro,digital thermometer, homebuilt exhaust brake, 182K "Its only a pickup. Trucks have a button on the shifter!"
tbeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

There is a lot of info on trans swaps over on 4bt swaps .com Just about anything you can dream of has been proposed or completed over there. Be prepared to be lost for a while.

The bottom line is unless you are the fabricator type to the level of using or being familiar with a lathe, mill etc. the ZF6 has been done (member here I believe) Biggest issue is having to use the transfer case too. Remember the shift quality and speed of a 2 ton medium duty truck is not the same as a 3/4 ton......

Not trying to talk you out of it, just kicking the pros amd cons around. Nothing wrong with a virtually unbreakable trans.

Out of the diesel capible (remember ratios are important on a diesel) trans availble, the NV4500 has durability problems and ratio problems, the NV5600 is scarce and expensive, the G56 same and a lot of people end up back at the ZF6 again, the only one with a cooler and lube pump.

Check out 4bt.....
Mine: 91 F250 Reg Cab 4x4 5spd 7.3IDI 4.10LS 145,000 miles. Banks Sidewinder 92 D60 F axle w 97 brakes and Powerlock. Lift: about 4" over stock 250. 33x12.50x16.5 Pro Comp MTs Magnaflow 12" muffler. Sees dirt everyday. Used to haul hay, wood, feed cows, check fence.
Hers: 96F250 CCSB 7.3 PSD 4x4 5spd 3.55 LS 190,000 miles. Puchased 7/03, Looked for a 5spd CCSB for a year!Dana 60 front axle, at stock F350 height (for now) Energy Poly bushings, Bilsteins, 305/70/16 Pro Comps on 16x10 Weld Outbacks, AFE Pro7,TYMAR 3x3.5x4 downpipe,TYMAR 5" straightpipe, gutted EBV, IH Non EBV pedistal,New Alliant AC Injectors,(stage 1)Cal reg kit, SBC Con O clutch, permenent clutch bushing fix, AC mod with a different twist, AMP Powersteps with custom brackets and wiring(one of 2 OBS trucks with them according to AMP) Line of Fire. Sees dirt everyday.
My Company pickup: 86 F250 6.9 C6 320,000 miles Co trucks 5 89 to 94 IDI's, plus about 50 more diesels.
Diesel Mechanic 34 yrs Maintenece Manager 23 yrs
Garbage_Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.