The Diesel Stop banner

Factory OBS Black Alcoa's

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  79jasper 
#1 ·
I just bought a powder coating system and I have a spare set of alcoa's laying around. I was wondering if anyone has some pictures of their truck with black factory rims. Also I have some chipping on my good set of Alcoa's and wanted to know if anyone had a remedy to prevent anymore chipping and how to stop the chalky corrosion process.

Thanks

#2 ·
Typically chipping is curb rash. Unless you mean the clear coat is flaking? Also causing the chalky-ness.
Bare aluminum will always form it's own "varnish" on the surface.
You can strip the coating off. Then Polish them and either A: recoat them with a clear. Or B: wax them. But you'll have to keep doing a light Polish fairly often.

Don't know if it's what you're looking for, but here's a pic of mine.

I guess can't see the wheels that well. Lol

I like the look of black wheels. Do you have a oven big enough to fit a wheel in?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Powder coating requires bead blasting too. I have powder coated for the last 8 years, if you need any specific help feel free to PM me.

#5 ·
Just for info, if I understand correctly, and looking for pictures of black factory wheels, they didn't ever come in black. The wheels were the steel wheels in grey, or the Alcoas in polished aluminum clearcoat. No black wheels ever from the factory. The steel wheels in grey look best in my opinion.

#6 ·
Good point.
Mine are factory (2wd) dually wheels. Which were Grey, but I painted black.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.